Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,448

2 members and 3,446 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

125 gallon aquarium and the pros opinions

I’m buying a 125 gallon aquarium from a friend for 25 bucks!! It’s a steal but it’s also huge. I know that a lot of people are always concerned about to much space for ball pythons. We’ve kept our snake in a 30 long since we got him. We for sure had all the initial problems everyone does in using aquariums. Through trial and error we have gotten good and sorted it out. My plans for the 125 are pretty fun and exciting. They include an actual waterfall, small creek that runs into an actual pond. Lots of plants and rock cliffs and of course hides. I really wanna make it a focal point of our living room. My friend will be custom building and engraving a stand with a jungle theme. I know that most of you use pvc enclosures but what are your thoughts on the size. I’m under the assumption that as long as there are enough hiding places he won’t get stressed. Any concerns or thoughts on an idea like this
    Last edited by DandD; 12-22-2018 at 09:22 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DandD For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Re: 125 gallon aquarium and the pros opinions

Sounds like fun
    But I would not have so many water areas in it.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Sounds like it could be really cool, if it works out right.

What are the dimensions? How are you planning on heating? And are you sure it still holds water for those water features?
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 12-22-2018 at 10:11 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Sounds like it could be really cool, if it works out right.

What are the dimensions? How are you planning on heating? And are you sure it still holds water for those water features?
    I don’t know the exact dimensions I just know it’s a 125 gallon long. The friend I’m getting it from his wife use to manage a salt water fish store,so everything was cleaned and stored properly. the water features will be removable and self containing so I should still be safe. I plan on a uth and probably some lights of some sort due to PA being cold I’ll need something. It should be a fun project that I can take my time get it running and make sure everything’s safe before the big move
    Last edited by DandD; 12-22-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    I don’t know the exact dimensions I just know it’s a 125 gallon long. The friend I’m getting it from his wife use to manage a salt water fish store,so everything was cleaned and stored properly. the water features will be removable and self containing so I should still be safe. I plan on a uth and probably some lights of some sort due to PA being cold I’ll need something. It should be a fun project that I can take my time get it running and make sure everything’s safe before the big move
    Ok. The reason I ask is that the taller it is it may be tough to heat. Plus, with such a terrestrial species it may be a lot of wasted height.

I can't speak from experience with a glass enclosure that large though, so these are just my thoughts.

I'd look into radiant heat panels too, rather than lights. But again, just a thought.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    It is defintely doable, it will be difficult to heat it though, unless you have a heated room, or a large Radiant heat panel. I would love to see it when you complete the project!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    It is defintely doable, it will be difficult to heat it though, unless you have a heated room, or a large Radiant heat panel. I would love to see it when you complete the project!
    I’ll be starting it after the new year when money becomes available again lol. I’ll probably start a new thread and update it while I’m doing it. That way I can pick all your brains to make it right. It’ll be like the ball pythons forum community tank. Maybe I’ll add a plaque inside it with all the contributors names.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    I have a 125 gal aquarium - it is 6' long x 18" deep x 24" high. It has housed a BRB, then a Dumerils boa, and now has a young Burmese python.

I use two large heat pads with it. The one on the cool side is at 82*F, the one on the warm side is 90*F.

I would strongly suggest having plexiglass tops made for it, and you can use the mirror fasteners to secure them. That will greatly help keep heat and humidity inside, and ensure no escapes.

Unfortunately there is a decent amount of heat loss through the glass so put a hide over each UTH. The air under the hide will stay warm, and you could make natural-looking Styrofoam hides which would insulate nicely.

I wouldn't load it up with water features. A few large bowls will suffice. Use cypress mulch as substrate, some driftwood for climbing, and some fake plants for décor.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2019),Godzilla78 (12-22-2018),Sonny1318 (12-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have a 125 gal aquarium - it is 6' long x 18" deep x 24" high. It has housed a BRB, then a Dumerils boa, and now has a young Burmese python.

I use two large heat pads with it. The one on the cool side is at 82*F, the one on the warm side is 90*F.

I would strongly suggest having plexiglass tops made for it, and you can use the mirror fasteners to secure them. That will greatly help keep heat and humidity inside, and ensure no escapes.

Unfortunately there is a decent amount of heat loss through the glass so put a hide over each UTH. The air under the hide will stay warm, and you could make natural-looking Styrofoam hides which would insulate nicely.

I wouldn't load it up with water features. A few large bowls will suffice. Use cypress mulch as substrate, some driftwood for climbing, and some fake plants for décor.
    The plexiglass is a great idea much more astetically pleasing then the silver insulation I use now. As for the water features, they won’t be giant. I want to make something really natural looking while being functional and easy to maintain. The double uth idea is great to.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DandD View Post
    The plexiglass is a great idea much more astetically pleasing then the silver insulation I use now. As for the water features, they won’t be giant. I want to make something really natural looking while being functional and easy to maintain. The double uth idea is great to.
    Are you sure the water features will be "easy to maintain" when your snake takes a dump in them? Snakes often do that which we fail to plan for...

Personally I'd go more for driftwood that a BP could easily climb on, & a cave or two, but anyway, I look forward to seeing your ideas put into action.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-22-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast