Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,959

0 members and 2,959 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts

Re: Just a few questions

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    It's a 20 gallon high and the basking spot is 97-99. The temperature on the warm side is 89-81. And on the ambient side it 77-81. My little guy is thriving on just a heat lamp. It doesn't fluctuate like a an UTH so I don't need a thermostat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Your temps are way too high. 78º-80º cool side, 88º-90º hot side - ALL HEAT SOURCES REGULATED BY A THERMOSTAT. This can not be overstated. Unregulated heat sources, whether lamps or mats, are a recipe for a (neurologically) cooked snake.

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hilabeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018),MissterDog (12-21-2018),Sonny1318 (12-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A 20-high glass tank with those temps from a heat lamp is creating a desert environment for a snake that needs high humidity. You need to dial those back and cover the tank with something to hold moisture in.
    Haha I do. Don't mean to sound like an ass but please don't assume my situation. There's a towel on top that I wet every other day. He has a humidity hide and I use reptichip ( which I recommend to everyone) it's amazing at holding humidity. I have 2 hydrometers the humidity stays between 45 and 55. During shed I mist the tank a few times daily to bump it up to the 70s. My little guy seems very happy and has never refused a meal for me and his sheds are perfect in one piece. Any more questions?

🤘!MM4L!🤘

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Haha I do. Don't mean to sound like an ass but please don't assume my situation. There's a towel on top that I wet every other day. He has a humidity hide and I use reptichip ( which I recommend to everyone) it's amazing at holding humidity. I have 2 hydrometers the humidity stays between 45 and 55. During shed I mist the tank a few times daily to bump it up to the 70s. My little guy seems very happy and has never refused a meal for me and his sheds are perfect in one piece. Any more questions?

You go dude. I’ve been doing this for well over thirty years plus. And I’m proud to say I learn new things all the time, and I learned a lot from this form. So you be what you gotta be bro, peace.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 12-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Toad37 (12-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

It's a 20 gallon high and the basking spot is 97-99. The temperature on the warm side is 89-81. And on the ambient side it 77-81. My little guy is thriving on just a heat lamp. It doesn't fluctuate like a an UTH so I don't need a thermostat.

Not to derail this thread, but I don't want the OP to have incorrect information. Toad37, look it up on on ANY reliable reptile site or care sheet and they will all recommend the same thing: 90 degree hot spot max for BP's. Your temps are way too hot. I use infrared heat lamps in conjunction with heat mats for ambient temperature purposes, and I don't go over 75 watts but they are all dialed down on dimmers. 100 watts at max power in a 20L...
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018),hilabeans (12-21-2018),Kira (12-21-2018),MissterDog (12-21-2018),Sonny1318 (12-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

It's a 20 gallon high and the basking spot is 97-99....
    IF you are actually measuring your temps. accurately, that is a BURNING spot, not a "basking" spot. As everyone else has already tried to tell you, it's too hot.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Kira (12-21-2018),MissterDog (12-21-2018)

Thanks

I measure it with a heat gun daily. Maybe my bp is retarded cuz he lays there often. Since the general consensus is my temps are too high I will look into a lower wattage bulb.

🤘!MM4L!🤘

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toad37 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

I measure it with a heat gun daily. Maybe my bp is retarded cuz he lays there often. Since the general consensus is my temps are too high I will look into a lower wattage bulb.

Thank you...and you might just use a lamp dimmer instead. I use them on all my overhead "warming" lights to control the output to what's needed.

I wouldn't say he's retarded btw, but for unknown reasons many snakes have gotten burned either from UTH or overhead heat that's too high...they
    seem not to be able to sense when it's too much until it's too late. That's why we're all trying to keep you & yours out of trouble...burns can be serious
    or fatal, they take a long time to heal & are very very painful. We don't want you to learn the hard way.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-21-2018 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks

He's not retarded.
    Sometimes reptiles just don't move from a too hot area until its too late and damage is done.
    Not to "beat a dead horse" but that's entirely too hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Thank you...and you might just use a lamp dimmer instead. I use them on all my overhead "warming" lights to control the output to what's needed.

I wouldn't say he's retarded btw, but for unknown reasons many snakes have gotten burned either from UTH or overhead heat that's too high...they
    seem not to be able to sense when it's too much until it's too late. That's why we're all trying to keep you & yours out of trouble...burns can be serious
    or fatal, they take a long time to heal & are very very painful. We don't want you to learn the hard way.
    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks

OP I wish I knew your humidity secret. I use a 30 long and if the temps under my light ever hit 90 or higher I would be sweeping up ashes. I have a humid hide secret under substrate humidity ponds ( best name I could come up with) and I mist daily.

Thanks

It's definitely not that he's retarded.

But from what I remember there was a thread on here that explained the phenomenon pretty well. The issue is that BP's, as well as many other snakes I assume, use internal core temperature to regulate their basking behavior. So by the time their core reaches the proper temp, they are already burned pretty badly. Same as how we as humans will stay in the sun until we're burnt crispy, but won't feel it until after it's to late.

In nature it isn't really observed because they, being nocturnal, usually come out to warm up after sundown and by then most surfaces are cool enough to not cause damage. On the other hand diurnal snakes that will bask on a hot rock during the day don't burn very often either. As the surface they are laying on will cool as they lay on it, because their body blocks the sunlight from hitting where they are laying.

In captivity even as they absorb the heat, our heaters will continue to pump it out until they get warm and move. (unless it is unregulated, in which case they will burn.)

A good way to test this for your self is to lay on concrete that's in full sun, the temperature of the concrete under you will slowly go down.

Opposite that, turn a heating pad (for humans, like from the pharmacy) on it's lowest setting, then lay on it and wait. The longer you lay on it the warmer it gets because your body isn't able to dissipate the heat as fast as it being produced.

Same concept, but we can feel the heat growing and can remove the heat pad before we burn, snakes don't, it's just the way they are wired.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

DandD (12-23-2018),Dianne (12-23-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12