Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,859

4 members and 3,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Just a few questions

Allright so I got a ball python around 3 weeks ago , bad thing for me to get it from petsmart as I’m new to reptiles , they told me to feed it adudlt mice , when they where feeding it 2 pinky’s , so the first week was a bit much probably stressful for the snake because it didn’t eat for 2 weeks ( didn’t eat for a week at pet store ) but finally somone helped me out and I gave him a fuzzy and it took it very fast , so it did try to bite at me once during that week as I handled it , I put it down on my bed , I was assuming this was from lack of food or jsut stress I took it out , after I fed him and waited 2 days he’s been a real sweet heart and I love taking him out once every here n there no more then 4 times a week since it is young , but was wondering this , it gets scared of me when it sees me in it’s tank like it goes right to strike position, never tried to bite when I took him out , but he gets very scared , so wondering what that could mean or if there is somthing I need to do , also for some reason as he was in my hand , tried to strike the air ( nothing was in front of him he was facing away from me , but mouth was closed ? So I’m wondering if he is scared or what to do , he isn’t aggressive at all , very calm but recently has been very timid I’m confused , even when it didn’t eat it was never scared

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    In the wild, anything that picks up a snake is normally a predator that's going to eat it. Snakes are predators, sure, but they're also the prey at times. And it takes
    time for them to learn they are safe with you.

When your snake is in it's tank, it's not getting your scent & is unable to identify you just by vision alone: to a snake, you're a big scary potential-predator heading
    his way. Don't take it personally, he doesn't recognize you until you are touching him or he's getting your scent. Snakes see motion well to go after prey, but they
    don't have a firm idea of what they're chasing until they catch it...so keep that in mind & don't be "it", lol. They aren't logical either: if you hold your snake in
    one hand & wave the other, your snake doesn't "know" that other hand is part of the safe thing holding him, and he is likely to think either it's prey or predator.
    So keep your hands UNDER the snake when you hold him, whenever possible, while he learns he is safe with you.

You've only had the snake 3 weeks but you mention a lot of handling: go slow on that...be patient. It's best for a snake to feed easily & at normal (weekly) intervals
    at least 3 times BEFORE you do ANY handling. Handling too much & too soon can stress a snake into not eating, or even into getting sick, as stress affects their immune
    system negatively just as it does ours, & just being in a new home is very stressful & scary. Handling can be overwhelming to new snakes & they can suddenly panic-
    that's why he was striking when you held him. Slow down, be patient...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-21-2018),Vinc (12-21-2018)

Thanks

Re: Just a few questions

Thanks for the advice ! I really appreciate it , sorry for calling the snake it btw just typing fast , and tbh out of three weeks I’ve only handled it like 5 or so times , I’m trying to take it slow. Also was wondering I do have a heat radiant bulb but I keep it on during the day since that bulb it’s self makes the heat perfect , but I turn it off at night and plug in my heat pad as somone suggest to me , but I watched a video and the guy said u can jsut put a normal bulb like 50 Wats and leave it on, is it good to leave the bulb on all the time ? My bulb doesn’t really produce light jsut heat .

Thanks

My little guy is in a 20 gallon tall tank and I use a 100 wat red bulb and leave it on all the time. The red light isn't offensive to their eyes like a white one would be . He still gets his 12 hour cycle from the windows and the light in the living room. I don't use a heat pad for him and my temps stay perfect. 97 on the hot side and 85 on the cool. There's controversy on heat pads if u don't have them on a thermostat. They could potentially cook ur snake and no one wants that!

If ur switching from bulb to pad I would make sure the pad is all the way heated up before u turn the bulb off. If not the temps could fluctuate a lot before it heats all the way up which could also cause ur little guy to stress. Just have to find out what works best with u and ur little noodle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    My little guy is in a 20 gallon tall tank and I use a 100 wat red bulb and leave it on all the time. The red light isn't offensive to their eyes like a white one would be . He still gets his 12 hour cycle from the windows and the light in the living room. I don't use a heat pad for him and my temps stay perfect. 97 on the hot side and 85 on the cool. There's controversy on heat pads if u don't have them on a thermostat. They could potentially cook ur snake and no one wants that!

If ur switching from bulb to pad I would make sure the pad is all the way heated up before u turn the bulb off. If not the temps could fluctuate a lot before it heats all the way up which could also cause ur little guy to stress. Just have to find out what works best with u and ur little noodle.
    Hey, would just like to clarify here that ALL AND ANY heat sources should be on a thermostat no matter what. At the very very least there should be a dimmer, closely monitored for fluctuations.

97/85 is much too high. I also sincerely hope that 97 is a hotspot temp and not ambient.

The HOTSPOT underneath the heat source or on top of the glass if using a heat mat/uth (measured with a temp gun) should be 90-91 degrees. Ambient temps (measured with a digital thermometer, not an analog stick on) should not be higher than the mid 80s on the hot side and low 80s on the cool side. I keep mine at 83/80.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018),MissterDog (12-21-2018),Sonny1318 (12-21-2018)

Thanks

A 100W bulb in a 20 gallon tank, especially if it's a 20L, is way way too hot to use unregulated for a BP. Again, every single heat source must be on a thermostat!

OP, if you are considering switching to a heat mat, PLEASE make sure you have a thermostat before you plug it in.

I used ceramic heat emitters on a dimmer with my BP before switching to bigger cages, and still use it for my sand boa, but it is really important if using a dimmer and not a thermostat to monitor the temps. OP, what are you using to monitor temperatures?

Last edited by Avsha531; 12-21-2018 at 10:10 AM.
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-21-2018),MR Snakes (12-22-2018),Sonny1318 (12-21-2018)

Thanks
    Welcome Vic!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vinc View Post
    Thanks for the advice ! I really appreciate it , sorry for calling the snake it btw just typing fast , and tbh out of three weeks I’ve only handled it like 5 or so times , I’m trying to take it slow. Also was wondering I do have a heat radiant bulb but I keep it on during the day since that bulb it’s self makes the heat perfect , but I turn it off at night and plug in my heat pad as somone suggest to me , but I watched a video and the guy said u can jsut put a normal bulb like 50 Wats and leave it on, is it good to leave the bulb on all the time ? My bulb doesn’t really produce light jsut heat .
    You need to be measuring, monitoring & controlling (preferably with a thermostat) the temperatures in the cage. Otherwise your snake is in danger of being over-heated,
    burned even, or too cold & subject to illness. Proper cage set-up is THE most important thing for your success in keeping a snake, especially a ball python.

And for sure
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-21-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    A 100W bulb in a 20 gallon tank, especially if it's a 20L, is way way too hot to use unregulated for a BP. Again, every single heat source must be on a thermostat!

OP, if you are considering switching to a heat mat, PLEASE make sure you have a thermostat before you plug it in.

I used ceramic heat emitters on a dimmer with my BP before switching to bigger cages, and still use it for my sand boa, but it is really important if using a dimmer and not a thermostat to monitor the temps. OP, what are you using to monitor temperatures?

It's a 20 gallon high and the basking spot is 97-99. The temperature on the warm side is 89-81. And on the ambient side it 77-81. My little guy is thriving on just a heat lamp. It doesn't fluctuate like a an UTH so I don't need a thermostat.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    🤘!MM4L!🤘

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Toad37 View Post
    It's a 20 gallon high and the basking spot is 97-99. The temperature on the warm side is 89-81. And on the ambient side it 77-81. My little guy is thriving on just a heat lamp. It doesn't fluctuate like a an UTH so I don't need a thermostat.
    A 20-high glass tank with those temps from a heat lamp is creating a desert environment for a snake that needs high humidity. You need to dial those back and cover the tank with something to hold moisture in.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2018),MR Snakes (12-22-2018),Sonny1318 (12-21-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast