Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,498

3 members and 3,495 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Mom won't let me take snake to vet after saying she would

If you can’t get your mom to help you with a thermostat, if you ask reeeeeeeallly nicely, I’ll bet someone on here will send you one for free. A jumpstart thermostat is only around $20 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Not having a thermostat is a much bigger husbandry issue than a slight wheeze in your snake. Please get one ASAP. If you don't find one at the expo, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a $15 lamp dimmer to dial back the UTH until you can get a thermostat.
    ti
    I know its not that good. I planned on getting one as soon as possible. I'll check and if not I'll get the lamp dimmer.

Thanks
    Hi, If there’s a reptile store near you you could go there for a second opinion on if your snake is healthy or not. Ofcourse they are not vets and will not be able to treat your snake but that way you can get a second opinion from someone who has lots of snakes and experience. You’d probably have to ask them if they have experience identifying health issues but if you’re lucky they will look at if your snake is healthy for waay less money then a vet would charge. Where I live there’s a reptile store who has experience with snake health and would be willing to look at if snakes are healthy or not healthy for free. Maybe there’s something similar in your city. But don’t forget that they’re not vets, just a second opinion .
    (Also wanted to say that your snake is so lucky to have a home with you since you put your snakes health first )

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasmijn For This Useful Post:

Sharon&Sherman (12-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    If you can’t get your mom to help you with a thermostat, if you ask reeeeeeeallly nicely, I’ll bet someone on here will send you one for free. A jumpstart thermostat is only around $20 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could probably get my own lol...I'd feel bad if someone else got me one.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I don't like to go against someone else's opinion, but I wouldn't take my snake anywhere near a reptile store.

By very nature, they have a LOT of animals come and go. They have snake mites at times, again, with as many animals that come and go its a given. Mites get on the employees clothes, traveling between animals.

There is no quarantine protocol at a reptile store.

I would be terrified for my snake to actually pick up one of the more serious diseases or at the very least some mites...
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-19-2018),Bogertophis (12-19-2018),Jasmijn (02-26-2019),Sharon&Sherman (12-19-2018),tttaylorrr (12-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I don't like to go against someone else's opinion, but I wouldn't take my snake anywhere near a reptile store.

By very nature, they have a LOT of animals come and go. They have snake mites at times, again, with as many animals that come and go its a given. Mites get on the employees clothes, traveling between animals.

There is no quarantine protocol at a reptile store.

I would be terrified for my snake to actually pick up one of the more serious diseases or at the very least some mites...
    My sentiments exactly! Not worth the risk, IMO. Rare (or non-existent?) is the store where they ever wash (sanitize?) their hands between animals handled...

("Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?")

Especially since this sort of thing is tied to the 'black pastel morph' (post #13), which is why this forum is such a GREAT source of info!
    (And for what it's worth, I'd totally trust that information coming from bcr229.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-19-2018 at 08:54 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-19-2018),zina10 (12-19-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123