Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,266

1 members and 3,265 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Trying to coil/constrict w/o striking

I’ve had my BP for about 9 months. We got him from petsmart as a free adoption (apparently they do this once they get to a certain size?). Not the ideal place to acquire a snake from, I know, but he needed a home and my bf and I had been wanting one. We were told to feed him F/T, as that is the Petsmart practice. He refused food for about 6 months (offered weekly) and did not shed for about 7. Temp and humidity were in optimal ranges. We tried switching to live mice and he immediately started eating on a regular basis and has completed 2 shed cycles now. We’ve never had a failed feeding since and have sized up to small rats for the last 6-7 weeks, I would say. This last feeding he was acting very strange. He would posture and go towards the rat, then attempt to roll to constrict without striking and just falls over the rat. I finally got him to strike after offering 4+ times over a couple days. He was clearly interested, but it was like he forgot how to attack his food. Has anyone dealt with this? And suggestions?
    ~ Koral ~

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    Is it possible he's going into a shed cycle & just doesn't want it? (& under-estimates the danger to himself, to say the least)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-19-2018 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks

Re: Trying to coil/constrict w/o striking

When you moved him to rats, is he still feeding live?....or is he on frozen thawed again?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    When you moved him to rats, is he still feeding live?....or is he on frozen thawed again?

They are still live. He wants nothing to to with F/T.
    Last edited by K_Nevin; 12-19-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    ~ Koral ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Is it possible he's going into a shed cycle & just doesn't want it? (& under-estimates the danger to himself, to say the least)

No, he definitely wanted it. While the rat was in a position that wouldn’t hurt him, I touched it to his nose a couple times, and that is when he finally struck. He doesn’t show any signs of entering a shed cycle.
    ~ Koral ~

Thanks
    OK, another reason snakes hesitate (& refuse) is that they've gotten hurt in past encounters. That makes the most sense, since you're feeding live, & it sure
    complicates your feeding plan, doesn't it? Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't mean your snake hasn't gotten bit (maybe just pinched-didn't draw blood)
    when feeding. Some BPs have been known to reject all rodents of the same color or type after such incidents. It's one of many reasons to get them on f/t.

I'd recommend waiting a bit longer for next feed, then offer a live EYES-CLOSED rat pup (or mouse) first as an appetizer, & have ready
    on hand a dead rat of proper size (remember you're giving 2 things so make sure size isn't excessive) and try to get him to take the
    2nd item immediately after he deals first with the live one. 2 ways to do that: either chain-feed it to him when his mouth is still open,
    nose of f/t to tail of one he just dispatched, OR, he might be pumped up enough to just eat it for you...cross your fingers & find out.
    This way he learns to eat dead prey & after a few feeds will (hopefully!) just accept them on their own.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    And other possibilities are that this is just normal seasonal refusal....or he's sick. Not seeing the snake in person...very hard to know, so just offering
    possible options. BPs can be perfectly healthy though & still frustrate the daylights out of you...just sayin'. I've known my share of them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

OK, another reason snakes hesitate (& refuse) is that they've gotten hurt in past encounters. That makes the most sense, since you're feeding live, & it sure
    complicates your feeding plan, doesn't it? Just because you weren't aware of it doesn't mean your snake hasn't gotten bit (maybe just pinched-didn't draw blood)
    when feeding. Some BPs have been known to reject all rodents of the same color or type after such incidents. It's one of many reasons to get them on f/t.
    Ahhhhh I wonder if this is why my frozen rat vendor offers white, dark, and hairless rodents? They were all the same price, and I was like who cares what color they are? But now I get it.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Ahhhhh I wonder if this is why my frozen rat vendor offers white, dark, and hairless rodents? They were all the same price, and I was like who cares what color they are? But now I get it.
    I've never met a rat snake that cared, but BPs are a whole different ballgame...

Thanks

I'd recommend waiting a bit longer for next feed, then offer a live EYES-CLOSED rat pup (or mouse) first as an appetizer, & have ready
    on hand a dead rat of proper size (remember you're giving 2 things so make sure size isn't excessive) and try to get him to take the
    2nd item immediately after he deals first with the live one. 2 ways to do that: either chain-feed it to him when his mouth is still open,
    nose of f/t to tail of one he just dispatched, OR, he might be pumped up enough to just eat it for you...cross your fingers & find out.
    This way he learns to eat dead prey & after a few feeds will (hopefully!) just accept them on their own.
    Hes always eager to eat, and only shows interest in something that moves. When it’s feeding time, we put him in his feeding box and he postures up immediately knowing what’s coming next. Then the rat is offered via tongs and never leaves my sight. When he strikes and wraps up I will use the tongs to hold any loose claws away from him as well as the head of the rat is still able to bite. I don’t mind feeding him live rats at all if that’s what you mean about complicating feeding plan. This time he did everything exactly the same... postured up, showed interest, just attempted a coil rather than a strike, and rolled off as I pulled the rat away as not to let it hurt him. I’ve heard about BPs being picky about color but he’s eaten anything from all white to all grey/black and everything in between. This was just such strange behavior for a snake who obviously wanted the food.
    ~ Koral ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast