Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,594

0 members and 2,594 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Keeping my fingers crossed that you find a good solution, something within reason for cost & distance. It's truly the pits to deal with this in the winter.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Hognose with mass/lump

ARRRGGGGHHH! Apparently it's time for our yearly egg lump. In my reptile room checking on everyone last night, cleaning cages and noticed she's got a slight swelling about 2/3 down, took her out to feel and it 100% feels like an egg. I was finally starting to look at her like a decent snake and not just a PITA too. Cross your fingers she decides to pass this on her own although maybe we will take her on a long car ride just to help things along. Now that I have some debt paid down and money in savings I'll have to look into options for fixing her somehow if she can't. I wonder if it's worth taking her in locally to get an xray and see if there's more I'm not feeling or wait and bit and see if it moves down quickly.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    ARRRGGGGHHH! Apparently it's time for our yearly egg lump. In my reptile room checking on everyone last night, cleaning cages and noticed she's got a slight swelling about 2/3 down, took her out to feel and it 100% feels like an egg. I was finally starting to look at her like a decent snake and not just a PITA too. Cross your fingers she decides to pass this on her own although maybe we will take her on a long car ride just to help things along. Now that I have some debt paid down and money in savings I'll have to look into options for fixing her somehow if she can't. I wonder if it's worth taking her in locally to get an xray and see if there's more I'm not feeling or wait and bit and see if it moves down quickly.
    What lousy luck. I hate it when snakes just keep trying to reproduce- egg-binding killed a beautiful young unbred Cal-king I had years back- it's just not easily dealt with.
    I still have 2 adult FL rat snakes that lay dozens of eggs every year (double-clutches, too), but so far, none of their eggs ever get stuck. And some have been parthenogenetically viable too, I made the mistake of incubating the eggs that looked good the summer of 2019, & now I have 3 more snakes... (so much for that bright idea!) Hope you get her sorted out safely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-06-2021)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What lousy luck. I hate it when snakes just keep trying to reproduce- egg-binding killed a beautiful young unbred Cal-king I had years back- it's just not easily dealt with.
    I still have 2 adult FL rat snakes that lay dozens of eggs every year (double-clutches, too), but so far, none of their eggs ever get stuck. And some have been parthenogenetically viable too, I made the mistake of incubating the eggs that looked good the summer of 2019, & now I have 3 more snakes... (so much for that bright idea!) Hope you get her sorted out safely.
    It's really frustrating because I was originally supposed to a male hognose, I prefer males because I wanted to avoid this lol. I read about your rat snakes, can't help but giggle a bit, curiosity alone would likely have me doing the same thing if she ever had eggs that looked good but I sure don't want any more snakes causing me problems like she does.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    It's really frustrating because I was originally supposed to a male hognose, I prefer males because I wanted to avoid this lol. I read about your rat snakes, can't help but giggle a bit, curiosity alone would likely have me doing the same thing if she ever had eggs that looked good but I sure don't want any more snakes causing me problems like she does.
    That was it, my curiosity! Oops! I'd bred & raised snakes before, so I knew what good eggs look like, I just couldn't believe there were so many!? I thought they'd all go bad, & when they didn't, it was too late. They're cool snakes, for sure, but I'm not wanting so many pets any more- I've been at this for a long time. Thanks for admitting that you'd have been curious too, lol. I don't feel so bad now. Good luck with Ms. PITA.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-07-2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234