Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,098

2 members and 3,096 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

new snake owner feeding problem

So about 3 weeks ago I got a 2-3 month old ( Not exactly sure ) ball python the first time I fed her it went great and I was super happy but now there's a problem that problem being she wont eat I know that its fine and not to worry and all but here's the thing when I get ready to feed her I will shake the mouse in front of her and she takes it so I go sit down on my couch and read or watch TV but I will occasionally glance over at her to see how she is doing but she has not eaten it so basically I feed her she takes it I go sit down come back and she is just hovering over it staring at nothing I have tried moving her location to a less active room but she still wont eat it she will take it and chew on it for a bit but wont eat it does she know its food is this something I should be concerned about or should I just give her time she is used to eating frozen thawed so I have no idea what might be the problem I leave the mouse in there for an hour or so just in case she decides she wants it again also one more thing it has been about three weeks since I got her when I got her she had not shed in a week and a half so its been about a month and she has yet to shed is that normal all the tempuratures are right and humidity i have two hides one cool one hot a climbing tree a heat gun and everything she needs I am just worried she may have gone to the wrong home and hate it here I really don't want her to be miserable I am just so worried and I feel so bad for her she is really aggresive towards me and I just dont know what to do

ps. English is not my native language I am from France so sorry if some of it is misspelled or something
    Last edited by Ciaran_songs; 12-17-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    If you warmed up the mouse when you first offer it, sometimes snakes have trouble finding the head & then it cools off so they lose interest.

Are you heating up the mouse's nose with a hair-dryer? Many here have success with that method, especially for snakes like BPs that have & use heat sensing pits.

Feeding at night (or evening) usually helps too, that's natural for them. Also, BPs are "ambush-predators"...many don't like to accept food unless they are peeking
    out of their hide, waiting for a hapless rodent to pass by. If the snake is cruising their cage, they may feel too "exposed" to eat...remember that in the wild, snakes
    have to eat fast, or risk becoming prey themselves. Swallowing prey puts them at risk, so they prefer to be stealthy.

She might also be going into shed soon: snakes can "feel" it coming long before we can see any signs of it, & many refuse food until after they've shed. Not to worry.

Few snakes are ever "aggressive" to us: they are defensive. We are big scary predators to them until they learn...be patient, try to imagine yourself in her place.
    Snakes mostly bite out of fear & self-defense, or out of confusion with food (if we get in their way when feeding them, or have rodent scent on our hands, they rely
    on scent more than vision and we just aren't appealing to them as food, remember that). Snakes do learn...up to us to be patient. That you obviously care so much,
    I'd say she has the right home. We were all "new" at this once...you'll get there. Snakes are very different pets from most others...lots for us to learn & just being
    observant helps a lot.

And Questions are why we're here, & we're glad to have you join in. Your English is just fine, and FAR better than our French, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-17-2018 at 11:25 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (12-17-2018),MR Snakes (12-17-2018),Shayne (12-18-2018)

Thanks

Re: new snake owner feeding problem

Thanks! I will have to go out and buy a hairdryer this weekend I knew that it was all for defence she is just a little noodle after all and she couldn't hurt me really badly anyway Hopefully this will work after she eats a couple more times then I think I will start working with her hopefully I can get her to come around I do feed her at around 8 PM but she isnt in her hide around that time so I will have to try feeding her at a time where she is in the hide once again thanks so much for you r help it is greatly appreciated

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    "Baby" snakes that aren't defensive (in the "real world") don't usually grow up to breed...it's rough out there, so forgive her, she just wants to survive.

New snakes (& especially young ball pythons) that don't feed so easily can really make us feel "inadequate"... don't give up. Everyone here knows
    the frustration you're feeling, believe me.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-17-2018 at 11:44 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ciaran_songs (12-19-2018)

Thanks

Mine always takes his meal from peeking out of his hide and it never fails
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If you warmed up the mouse when you first offer it, sometimes snakes have trouble finding the head & then it cools off so they lose interest.

Are you heating up the mouse's nose with a hair-dryer? Many here have success with that method, especially for snakes like BPs that have & use heat sensing pits.

Feeding at night (or evening) usually helps too, that's natural for them. Also, BPs are "ambush-predators"...many don't like to accept food unless they are peeking
    out of their hide, waiting for a hapless rodent to pass by. If the snake is cruising their cage, they may feel too "exposed" to eat...remember that in the wild, snakes
    have to eat fast, or risk becoming prey themselves. Swallowing prey puts them at risk, so they prefer to be stealthy.

She might also be going into shed soon: snakes can "feel" it coming long before we can see any signs of it, & many refuse food until after they've shed. Not to worry.

Few snakes are ever "aggressive" to us: they are defensive. We are big scary predators to them until they learn...be patient, try to imagine yourself in her place.
    Snakes mostly bite out of fear & self-defense, or out of confusion with food (if we get in their way when feeding them, or have rodent scent on our hands, they rely
    on scent more than vision and we just aren't appealing to them as food, remember that). Snakes do learn...up to us to be patient. That you obviously care so much,
    I'd say she has the right home. We were all "new" at this once...you'll get there. Snakes are very different pets from most others...lots for us to learn & just being
    observant helps a lot.

And Questions are why we're here, & we're glad to have you join in. Your English is just fine, and FAR better than our French, lol.
    Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Mine always takes his meal from peeking out of his hide and it never fails

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
    Same with all mine .. they feed voraciously from within their hides yet if I offer when one is out and about they just make a run for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Hey I just wanted to thank you I fed her today using all of the tricks that you listed and it worked so well she is now just being a lazy little girl hiding in her log I am so glad that this worked and again I cant thank you enough!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran_songs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2018),tttaylorrr (12-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    Hey I just wanted to thank you I fed her today using all of the tricks that you listed and it worked so well she is now just being a lazy little girl hiding in her log I am so glad that this worked and again I cant thank you enough!
    HAPPY DANCE!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

tttaylorrr (12-20-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran_songs View Post
    Excellent !!

She may stay out of the way for a day or so to digest ..normally in the warm hide ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro