Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,563

1 members and 2,562 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,797 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hey Hawkshadow, how's he doing today? Hope you got a good price quote (for fecal) from the vet. Even a regular (not exotic) vet should be able to do that,
    & honestly I'm surprised it wasn't suggested when you were there, but I surmise they aren't as used to dealing with snakes as you may have thought previously.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Re: Ball Python... Spasming?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hey Hawkshadow, how's he doing today? Hope you got a good price quote (for fecal) from the vet. Even a regular (not exotic) vet should be able to do that,
    & honestly I'm surprised it wasn't suggested when you were there, but I surmise they aren't as used to dealing with snakes as you may have thought previously.
    While a non-exotic vet can run a fecal, bear in mind they don't know to test for parasites like crypto. They look for the same parasites that would typically infest dogs and cats.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2018),CALM Pythons (12-19-2018)

Thanks

He's been fine thus far, I haven't messed with him and he hasn't reacted like he was. I got a price for the fecal and am currently waiting for him to eliminate in order to bring it up to the vet. As far as how experienced the vet is with reptiles? I can't say. There aren't many exotic vets around here for me to be picky with. If I need anything more than the fecal I'm going to look around though. I've had great experiences with the cats and dogs I've brought there. My normal vet got her own practice in another state (she was an exotic vet too, though I never had to see her for one) and I've been bouncing around between all the different ones there since. They're not as good as her, but it's better than nothing.
    If nothing shows up on the fecal, I'm going to wait a couple months and see if his behavior changes. Maybe it really is because of the snakes I'm babysitting or breeding season or something. I'm going to leave him be for a while though, I don't want to stress him out and make matters worse.
    Thank you all for all your help. I'll keep you posted on the fecal results.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkshadow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2018),zina10 (12-19-2018)

Thanks
    I hope it's something that's an easy fix, like a fecal could show...I doubt it's a reaction to the other snakes but I'm in a similar situation where I now live-
    none of the local vets really specialize in exotics, but a few will see them & do their best to help. As you said, better than nothing.

Maybe he had a gas pain, did you feed beans to his rodents?

Thanks

So it took him a while, but Kirito finally pooped. I think it was because he was in shed. He shed perfectly fine, like a good scaley baby, and I got his feces tested. I asked them what exactly it was tested for after getting the results today, but they did tell me it came back negative. So, yay?
    Also, my friends got their snakes back on Christmas. So maybe that will help. Cross my fingers.
    As far as I've seen, he hasn't had any spasms in the new tank. There was one time where he got a bit tense and kind of arched up where the hide accidentally touched him after I misted inside it, but it wasn't a full spasm. Then again, I haven't messed with him since I put him in there. I've just been misting and he ate in there once already, so he's still eating great.
    I'm not going to mess with him until February after I go to a breeder convention I'm planning on going to. That'll give him plenty of time to relax and maybe whatever it is will pass by then.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawkshadow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2018),dr del (12-30-2018),zina10 (12-30-2018)

Thanks
    I'm glad for the update & the negative fecal test. I wonder if he has a back issue...like people, where if he moves a certain way, they get a pain spasm
    which subsides but is never really gone, just re-appears on occasion? Seems more like a structural issue than any sort of illness. Not easy to diagnose but
    I'm glad you could at least rule something out for now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-29-2018 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks

The vet thought that too potentially, but she felt along his spine and the only reaction she got was a little twitch when she touched him. Then I did the same and got no reaction at all. He's moving normally too, as far as I can tell. I'll keep a closer eye on him when he's out of his hide.

Thanks
    Yes, do keep a close eye on him for clues... I feel sorry for vets trying to diagnose snakes, lol...it's not easy, since they don't even vocalize for pain.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I hope he will be alright.

It may not be typical, but like I said, my male would writhe and jump just like that, if touched. Very dramatically so..

And ONLY during the breeding season, while he was used for breeding. He was a real spazz and anything touching him got him to arch up and "jump around". Only when touched. Never any other time.

I hope it is nothing serious, please keep up up to date !!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks
    So I got a reply on what was tested for in the fecal. Congrats, Kirito does not have hookworm or roundworm... -.- That's it. That's all that was tested for.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawkshadow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-01-2019)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast