Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

1 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Winter fast?

Thanks

Winter fast?

So my BP turned a year old sometime in October, and she currently sits at ~840g, which it seems is on the larger end for a yearling based on what I've seen (I've always just fed her appropriately sized prey once a week). She did get a tub change with roomier hides back in the beginning of October, but was eating consistently up until November 19th and she hasn't taken a rat since November 12th. Temps are steady, humidity was a pain in the beginning but has stabilized, and she was eating even when it wasn't perfect. She's always been a voracious eater which is why I'm puzzled, took her to the vet for a funky patch on her head which was confirmed harmless. I've still been offering every week and sometimes she'll strike once or twice but then become disinterested. Is she old enough for this to just be a "winter fast"? She hasn't lost any weight (maybe a gram or two if anything). I'm not worried since she still looks great, just confused.

EDIT: She also hasn't shed in maybe six weeks now? So she's right around due. I'm not too concerned since it's just about time, but I will update if she hasn't gone blue in a week or two. Will a snake still shed if they haven't grown much (from not eating)?
    Last edited by purpleroan; 12-17-2018 at 02:47 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Could be the 1000gram wall as someone here called it, could be weather, could be shed. Maybe wait two weeks before trying again and just double check all the numbers to make sure something didn't swing off.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chakup For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (12-17-2018),Sonny1318 (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    just googled the "1000 gram wall" and found a bunch of posts from this site, interesting stuff! I'd never heard that term before. Thanks for your opinion though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts

Re: Winter fast?

Quote Originally Posted by purpleroan View Post
    So my BP turned a year old sometime in October, and she currently sits at ~840g, which it seems is on the larger end for a yearling based on what I've seen (I've always just fed her appropriately sized prey once a week). She did get a tub change with roomier hides back in the beginning of October, but was eating consistently up until November 19th and she hasn't taken a rat since November 12th. Temps are steady, humidity was a pain in the beginning but has stabilized, and she was eating even when it wasn't perfect. She's always been a voracious eater which is why I'm puzzled, took her to the vet for a funky patch on her head which was confirmed harmless. I've still been offering every week and sometimes she'll strike once or twice but then become disinterested. Is she old enough for this to just be a "winter fast"? She hasn't lost any weight (maybe a gram or two if anything). I'm not worried since she still looks great, just confused.

EDIT: She also hasn't shed in maybe six weeks now? So she's right around due. I'm not too concerned since it's just about time, but I will update if she hasn't gone blue in a week or two. Will a snake still shed if they haven't grown much (from not eating)?
    My male was 880g when he turned a year old and then he refused to eat for the first time. From there on he has been eating every 2 weeks and sheds about every 8 to 10 weeks.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (12-18-2018)