Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,526

5 members and 3,521 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

"Teyo" new dumeril boa progression

Hello friends, its been a little over 2 weeks now having Teyo is he is such a sweetheart. He is just starting to burrow himself into the substrate with just his little snout sticking out...so freaking cute! He is eating alright, but does not like taking his food off the tongs. He prefers for me to just lay it down and let him be. Although he does not let it lay there for to long.

I am still learning about his personality but so far, he is very gentle and sweet but a tad bit shy. He likes to hang out on the cool side of his enclosure in his hide or burrowed in the substrate. I am still tryint to twee the heat as I dont want it to hot or to cold. My other boa who is a hypo hog island boa is on the same heat strip as she prefers the lower temps as well.

I havent handled him that much, but the other night I had him out and I was looking at his color and pattern. He is much darker then his clutch mates, as a matter of fact, I saw one of his sisters yesterday and she was much lighter in color, almost a tan-brown and the markings on her head were more visable then my boy. She was even a tad bit bigger.... I started thinking maybe I got the little runt of the group or the ugly duckling! But no matter what, i know my boy will grow into a beautiful snake. He had his first shed last week and is a dark chocolate almost.
    Are dumerils suppose to be dark as youngsters? I thought dumerils get darker as they mature? Or will my guy get lighter as he grows?

Thanks in advance for your helpful comments and tips, as i appreciate them!!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2018),dakski (12-16-2018),MR Snakes (12-16-2018),tttaylorrr (12-16-2018),zina10 (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 617 Posts
    Love Dumerils. Enjoy him!

1.0 Lesser Mojave Ball Python "Neptune"; 1.0 Western Hognose "Murray"

Lizards:
    1.0 Bearded Dragon "Nigel"

Tarantulas:
    0.1 G. Rosea "Charlotte"; 0.1 B. Albopilosum "Matilda"; 0.1 C. Versicolor "Bijou"; 1.0 B. Boehmei "Lightening McQueen"

Inverts:
    1.0 Emperor Scorpion "Boba"

Dog & Cats:

1.0 Doberman Pinscher "Bulleit"; 1.0 Siamese Cat "Boudreaux"; 1.0 British Shorthair Cat "Oliver”

Goats:
    "Hazelnut" & "Huckleberry"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: "Teyo" new dumeril boa progression

So my question to all of you dumeril boa owner is......
    Are dumerils suppose to be dark as youngsters? I thought dumerils get darker as they mature? Or will my guy get lighter as he grows?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    So my question to all of you dumeril boa owner is......
    I don't think Dumeril's undergo a dramatic color change like some other snakes. They may have some more pinks or peaches come through. The typical base color is darker (think camouflage in leaf litter and debris). Some breeders selectively breed for a lighter color or reduced pattern.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (12-18-2018),KevinK (12-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Lotsa good questions & unfortunately I've never kept these...wish I had, I've always loved their coloration & patterns. No idea if their colors darken or lighten?
    I'd be delighted if I were you that he quickly just eats food left for him...that's easy, & he may eventually feel braver about taking from tongs...many snakes do in time.
    He doesn't sound like a "runt or ugly duckling" to me..."dark chocolate"? Great color, & if a sibling is bigger, who cares...they might be power-feeding too.
    Please do keep us updated...we all love to suffer from 'snake-envy' around here...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jus1More (12-18-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    I don't think Dumeril's undergo a dramatic color change like some other snakes. They may have some more pinks or peaches come through. The typical base color is darker (think camouflage in leaf litter and debris). Some breeders selectively breed for a lighter color or reduced pattern.
    Thank you WWillow

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Lotsa good questions & unfortunately I've never kept these...wish I had, I've always loved their coloration & patterns. No idea if their colors darken or lighten?
    I'd be delighted if I were you that he quickly just eats food left for him...that's easy, & he may eventually feel braver about taking from tongs...many snakes do in time.
    He doesn't sound like a "runt or ugly duckling" to me..."dark chocolate"? Great color, & if a sibling is bigger, who cares...they might be power-feeding too.
    Please do keep us updated...we all love to suffer from 'snake-envy' around here...
    Thanks Bogertophis... I am hoping he grews into a stunning boy. Of course right now he is just so darn cute!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Remember that it's much better to grow a boa slowly (and snakes in general) than it is to overfeed. My photos are scattered over various devices, so here are some links to photos of Memphis over the last several months.

When we first got her:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-happy-ending!

A few days ago (she's the last few photos):
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...era-PIC-HEAVY)

She maybe has had some more pinks come through but hasn't changed too much otherwise (apart from size lol).

Do you have any photos of your little guy? Apologies if I missed them. I'm sure he's gorgeous.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Remember that it's much better to grow a boa slowly (and snakes in general) than it is to overfeed. My photos are scattered over various devices, so here are some links to photos of Memphis over the last several months.

When we first got her:
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-happy-ending!

A few days ago (she's the last few photos):
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...era-PIC-HEAVY)

She maybe has had some more pinks come through but hasn't changed too much otherwise (apart from size lol).

Do you have any photos of your little guy? Apologies if I missed them. I'm sure he's gorgeous.
    Hi WWillow... yes I remember seeing those pictures of Memphis, very beautiful btw.
    Your girl is much lighter than my boy, especially the head. Here are pictures of Teyo.... If you look closely his pattern is darker, dont you thick? People use the word "blushing" when describing their snakes, so in this case would the darker shades seen in his pattern be considered "blushing" in the color or pattern?

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2018)

Thanks
    I almost bought an adult 6 months back. They remind me of gaboon vipers!-)
    1.0 75% SD retic .... 6ft Hector cb17 1.1kg
    0.1 coastal X ij carpet... Hielo cb15 8kg

1.1 crested gecko Vinnie + Mable

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin83 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2018),Jus1More (12-20-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast