Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,169

2 members and 3,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

UTH and foil tape

Hello all

Can you attach foil tape (sticky side) to an UTH (sticky side) and then place the heater on a plastic tub by taping the edges of the heater to the tub? I was just trying to avoid sticking the pad itself so in the future it could be move to a different container. There would be a thermostat probe sandwich between UTH with foil tape on it and the bottom of the tub.

Thanks for your time

Bodie

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Yes, that would be the way to keep it reusable.
    Last edited by PitOnTheProwl; 12-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    This is from "heat tape" description on Reptile Basics:

6. If using element in contact with any metal surface, the metal surface must be grounded. A shock hazard can exist as well as the possibility of induced voltage. If using metallic (aluminum) tape to fasten element do not overlap any of the electrical areas in the element- black conductive bars or copper buss bars.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be safe, not sorry!

I've used Flexwatt UTH "forever" & only tape the edges (plastic only, non-electrical areas)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2018 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks

Re: UTH and foil tape

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This is from "heat tape" description on Reptile Basics:

6. If using element in contact with any metal surface, the metal surface must be grounded. A shock hazard can exist as well as the possibility of induced voltage. If using metallic (aluminum) tape to fasten element do not overlap any of the electrical areas in the element- black conductive bars or copper buss bars.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be safe, not sorry!

I've used Flexwatt UTH "forever" & only tape the edges (plastic only, non-electrical areas)
    Heat tape does NOT have a sticky side.
    A heat mat does and is encased in a rubber insulating coating.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. On this particular setup, I am not using heat tape. I am using a zoomed heat mat.

Thanks
    Bodie

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bodie For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Heat tape does NOT have a sticky side.
    A heat mat does and is encased in a rubber insulating coating.
    Yes, I know...http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape
    What they are saying is that if you use heat tape on metal or with metal tape, that thin cover of plastic that it's encased in is NOT enough for safety.
    As I said, foil tape (if used to secure 'heat tape') should not be over any of the inner electrical connections. It can short...

Sorry, I missed that from OP what kind of UTH was meant. And I bet there's ppl using foil tape to secure "heat-tapes".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, I know...http://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-tape
    What they are saying is that if you use heat tape on metal or with metal tape, that thin cover of plastic that it's encased in is NOT enough for safety.
    As I said, foil tape (if used to secure 'heat tape') should not be over any of the inner electrical connections. It can short...

Sorry, I missed that from OP what kind of UTH was meant. And I bet there's ppl using foil tape to secure "heat-tapes".
    Actually it is. The electrical part they are talking about are the main power bars that are exposed at the cut ends. After the ends are properly insulated they are not a risk of shock or short.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (12-16-2018),redshepherd (12-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Actually it is. The electrical part they are talking about are the main power bars that are exposed at the cut ends. After the ends are properly insulated they are not a risk of shock or short.
    yes, I have used the foil tape for a long time on the heat tape, no problems with electricity.

I DID RUN INTO ONE PROBLEM! If the metallic tape is directly contacting the thermostat probe, it gives an error code in my Herpstat. Once I made sure to keep the foil tape away from the probe, it was fine. I will use non-metallic packing tape on my heat tape from now on though.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, I have used the foil tape for a long time on the heat tape, no problems with electricity.

I DID RUN INTO ONE PROBLEM! If the metallic tape is directly contacting the thermostat probe, it gives an error code in my Herpstat. Once I made sure to keep the foil tape away from the probe, it was fine. I will use non-metallic packing tape on my heat tape from now on though.