Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,857

0 members and 2,857 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: First Babies

Thanks

First Babies

One of my females gave birth to 10 little ones this morning. They all look healthy. I have another one that is a few days behind her. Had to post since it’s my first ones!

They are only in the bowl with a towel because the bedding was sticking to them. Once they dried off they went back into their normal tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2018),Danger noodles (12-15-2018),MR Snakes (12-15-2018)

Thanks
    It’s harder to feed them when they get raised up all cute like that, lol

Thanks

Re: First Babies

Yeah especially when you have kids! They already tried to give the adult breeders names. I was quick to explain how the feeder process works! Lol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2018),MR Snakes (12-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Good job 'momma-mouse'! That exposure was probably a little stressful though...it might interfere with maternal instincts, especially for a first time mom.

And btw, the bedding normally only sticks to them when the mom hasn't finished cleaning them up (removing the membranes). The only time I intercept
    any newborns is when the mom sets them aside without cleaning up or cutting cord*...some new mom's didn't read the manual, lol. And if that happens, I've even been able to revive babies that look blue & dead by cleaning them up gently so they can breathe, snipping off the placenta, & giving rapid CPR with my
    finger...most of them come around (breathe & turn pink) when that's done...it's freaking amazing, especially when you consider that I wasn't standing over
    them for immediate attention...I have no idea how long they can go, but it's longer than WE would without air, that's for sure. When I do it for them & give
    their babies back, the moms normally do OK, & get it right thereafter. I sure don't name any of them though...good luck with that.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-15-2018 at 12:11 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jbabycsx (12-15-2018),MR Snakes (12-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good job 'momma-mouse'! That exposure was probably a little stressful though...it might interfere with maternal instincts, especially for a first time mom.

And btw, the bedding normally only sticks to them when the mom hasn't finished cleaning them up (removing the membranes). The only time I intercept
    any newborns is when the mom sets them aside without cleaning up or cutting cord*...some new mom's didn't read the manual, lol. And if that happens, I've even been able to revive babies that look blue & dead by cleaning them up gently so they can breathe, snipping off the placenta, & giving rapid CPR with my
    finger...most of them come around (breathe & turn pink) when that's done...it's freaking amazing, especially when you consider that I wasn't standing over
    them for immediate attention...I have no idea how long they can go, but it's longer than WE would without air, that's for sure. When I do it for them & give
    their babies back, the moms normally do OK, & get it right thereafter. I sure don't name any of them though...good luck with that.
    Yeah I wouldn’t have moved them. My wife did that since I’m at work. I told her to put them back and let the mama do her thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2018)

Thanks
    I'd also caution against letting your kids peek in before you do, ever...as for various reasons (and sooner or later) some mice will chew up some of their kids...
    just saying. (Those who think it's terrible that snakes kill rodents should see & consider what mice do to their own sometimes...snakes are kinder, though not
    by intent.) Still, it's great to breed your own rodents...I have for many years, I'm proud of my 'herd'. They work hard & are fed well, & it's probably better than
    the life of wild mice.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-15-2018)

Thanks

I'd also caution against letting your kids peek in before you do, ever...as for various reasons (and sooner or later) some mice will chew up some of their kids...
    just saying. (Those who think it's terrible that snakes kill rodents should see & consider what mice do to their own sometimes...snakes are kinder, though not
    by intent.) Still, it's great to breed your own rodents...I have for many years, I'm proud of my 'herd'. They work hard & are fed well, & it's probably better than
    the life of wild mice.
    I’m hoping that she is a good mom. She seems to be more preoccupied with normal mouse stuff than she does with the babies. Then again, I’ve never raised any so that may be normal. I’m used to a female dog that will sit and let puppies feed for hours at a time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    I’m hoping that she is a good mom. She seems to be more preoccupied with normal mouse stuff than she does with the babies...
    Not sure what you mean by 'normal mouse stuff'? Was she a pet, like with an exercise wheel in her cage? Don't leave a wheel in with breeders, as the wheels seem to
    be addicting for rodents & I've seen mom's with babies trying to nurse just hop in a wheel & the babies went flying! Foresight isn't their strong suit, apparently...

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by 'normal mouse stuff'? Was she a pet, like with an exercise wheel in her cage? Don't leave a wheel in with breeders, as the wheels seem to
    be addicting for rodents & I've seen mom's with babies trying to nurse just hop in a wheel & the babies went flying! Foresight isn't their strong suit, apparently...
    Lol no she’s never been a pet. By “mouse stuff” I meant scampering around and climbing. I think it’s because I had just got home from work. She has settled down now and they are all nursing.

Thanks
    That's good then...happy mouse-making!