Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,523

1 members and 3,522 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Questions on set-up and ventilation

Hi guys! I'm pretty new posting to the forum and i've had my bp for about 8 months now. I just recently moved back in with my parents and it's a whole lot colder and drier here than I'd like, especially since my bp is about to shed. I've done just about everything i can think to keep the humidity and temps up; a ceramic lightless heater, sphagnum moss, waterbowl on/under heat source, and misting once or twice daily. I ended up covering my tank with foam board wrapped in foil and taping it down with aluminum tape. My question is: Is there enough space for ventilation? Or should I open up a bit more space for the tank to circulate? The humidity is back up at 60% and ambient temps 77F. I would love any suggestions

https://flic.kr/p/PP4P6r

Sorry for all the junk, I'm still settling in and I want to make sure Fettuccine's good before I actually unpack. Thanks friends!
    Last edited by snekerdoodles; 12-15-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks

Re: Questions on set-up and ventilation

Quote Originally Posted by snekerdoodles View Post
    Hi guys! I'm pretty new to the forum and i've had my bp for about 8 months now. I just recently moved back in with my parents and it's a whole lot colder and drier here than I'd like. I've done just about everything i can think to keep the humidity and temps up; a ceramic lightless heater, sphagnum moss, and misting once or twice daily. I ended up covering my tank with foam board wrapped in foil and taping it down with aluminum tape. My question is: Is there enough space for ventilation? Or should I open up a bit more space for the tank to circulate? The humidity is back up at 60% and ambient temps 77F

https://flic.kr/p/PP4P6r

Sorry for all the junk, I'm still settling in and I want to make sure Fettuccine's good before I actually unpack. Thanks friends!
    Yeah believe it or not they dont need alot of ventilation i use tubs with several small holes drilled into them on each side.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

It looks like you have a good sized square of open screen under the heat lamp, which I think is plenty of ventilation. If you are able to maintain heat and humidity, I’d call that success.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

snekerdoodles (12-15-2018)

Thanks

You should defenitely have 2 ide tical hides though they tend to favor 1 if there not the exact same and can cause issues.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks

really? I've had a set-up in the past using the log hut and a plastic container with a hole sanded down, and he did just fine switching back and forth. though he hasn't been using the cool side as often... I just assumed it was a bit too cold because he was still settling and i was adjusting everything. I might switch it to something similar to the other one if he doesn't move over there with the temps being adjusted. I just feel so bad cos he's been in relatively chilly temps at night while i waited for his heater and stuff to come in
    Last edited by snekerdoodles; 12-15-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    If he's naturally switching between his hides intermittently, and isn't showing exclusive preference for one hide, I think you're probably fine. The "two identical hides" point is helpful if you're troubleshooting why a BP might be behaving abnormally, but it's not an absolute must if your BP is doing just fine. My boy has two different hides - a plastic hollow tree stump on the warm side, and a Zilla rock lair on the cool side - and he uses both as he pleases.