Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,966

1 members and 2,965 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Show me your (adult and baby) blue-eyed lucies!

Hi guys! My first snake, Ignis, has been an absolute dream so far, and I suspect there's a non-zero probability that I will be getting another BP soon (most likely at the Pomona Reptile Super Show in January). My original plan had actually been for a BEL - before Iggy wiggled onto the scene and stole my heart - but I am curious about the variation amongst BELs depending on their gene combos. I see babies with all sorts of "bonus features," from purple heads to pale yellow dorsal stripes, as well as differences in how blue their eyes look. On the other hand, I have been told that as they grow into adulthood, BELs will all eventually reach that uniform all-white look.

So with that said, I'd love to see your photos of your lovely blue-eyed lucies, young and old! If you could note their age, as well as their particular gene combo if you happen to know, that would be incredibly helpful too.

[As a side note, I'm not talking about black-eyed lucies (or the elusive "red-eyed lucy"/Cherry Bomb) ... but I certainly won't object if you want to show off pics of those as well!]

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Those with purple head are Super Mojave they keep that dirty look throughout their lives.

Those with yellow stripping sometimes have something else in it.

If you are a pure white snake you want a Mojave X Lesser Cross or a Super Lesser (now you need to watch out since many Super Lesser or Super Butter have bug eyes).

I have a Hypo Super Mojave so the head is slightly grey (not as grey as Super Mojave due to the hypo gene) and the body is clean white (super mojave then to yellow out with the years)

Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

RedRabbit (12-15-2018),Shayne (02-02-2019),Sonny1318 (12-14-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Re: Show me your (adult and baby) blue-eyed lucies!

This is a Russo White Diamond and yes they have a dorsal stripe in the correct light you just can’t see in this picture. They also have a dirty color until about a-year-old or depending on their growth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018),RedRabbit (12-15-2018),Sonny1318 (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Technically Zelda counts. Is a double Merle Gene Great Dane. Although she is blind from birth and eyes under developed they are blue.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

distaff (12-15-2018),e_nigma (02-01-2019),MR Snakes (12-24-2018),PartySnake13 (08-09-2019),RoyalLover (12-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Those with purple head are Super Mojave they keep that dirty look throughout their lives.

Those with yellow stripping sometimes have something else in it.

If you are a pure white snake you want a Mojave X Lesser Cross or a Super Lesser (now you need to watch out since many Super Lesser or Super Butter have bug eyes).

I have a Hypo Super Mojave so the head is slightly grey (not as grey as Super Mojave due to the hypo gene) and the body is clean white (super mojave then to yellow out with the years)
    Thanks Deborah, super helpful info! (And your snake is beautiful!) So this summarizes my understanding so far:
    - Lesser Mojave = all white
    - Super Lesser = all white, but prone to bug eyes
    - Super Mojave = purple/gray head (retained into adulthood), possible mild yellowing with age
    - Hypo Super Mojave = the hypo lightens the purple/gray head, and reduces the body yellowing back to white
    Last edited by RedRabbit; 12-14-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    This is a Russo White Diamond and yes they have a dorsal stripe in the correct light you just can’t see in this picture. They also have a dirty color until about a-year-old or depending on their growth
    What a good-looking snake! I do recall seeing that the BELs on Morph Market that had the yellow dorsal stripe all had Russo in them too (they were Mystic Russos). If my understanding is correct, a White Diamond is a Super Russo, right? So it sounds like Russo probably creates the stripe when added to any BEL complex.
    Last edited by RedRabbit; 12-14-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    Technically Zelda counts. Is a double Merle Gene Great Dane. Although she is blind from birth and eyes under developed they are blue.
    Aww, sweet girl! Not a snake of course, but I love dogs too, so Zelda is welcome to be an honorary participant in this thread, haha.

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
    What a good-looking snake! I do recall seeing that the BELs on Morph Market that had the yellow dorsal stripe all had Russo in them too (they were Mystic Russos). If my understanding is correct, a White Diamond is a Super Russo, right? So it sounds like Russo probably creates the stripe when added to any BEL complex.
    Yup Super Russo. I’m not into how the genes work but several are here. Im just a Old School Python Keeper and bought her from Vin Russo here in NY.

Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Yup Super Russo. I’m not into how the genes work but several are here. Im just a Old School Python Keeper and bought her from Vin Russo here in NY.

That's really cool! How old is your White Diamond? I was actually just reading through a thread that described how Vin Russo first produced the White Diamond from a pair of his "Lemon Ball" snakes, which now would be called Russo morphs (shorter than saying/writing "Russo line het leucistic") in deference to his work.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

I will try to get a decent photo of Arya, our Mojave Lesser, after she sheds. She's due to shed any day now. She isn't the easiest snake to get a shot of, as she doesn't stay still and has honestly been kind of a ***** lately. But she's beautiful and was one of my bucket list BP's.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast