Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 891

3 members and 888 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: UTH necessary?

Thanks

UTH necessary?

Hello all

So a buddy was getting rid of 2 pvc cages he had that he used to keep green tree pythons in. I bought them from him with the intention of housing a couple of kings in them (Mexican black and a Mosaic Florida King). The cages came with radiant heat panels installed on top in both with a herpistat. I have the cages up and running to be able to get the heating right before adding the kings. Right now, the cages have aspen for substrate with various cork bark hides on the hot and cold side. Ambient temp in the cages in around 81 to 82 F. Using a temp gun, on the hot side, substrate surface temp in around 82 with the top of the cork pieces on that side being around 86 since some pieces are somewhat stack on each other and thus closer to the radiant heat panel. On the cool side, substrate temps are 78 to 80 depending where you point the temp gun. So long story short, do I need a UTH? I have read that some snake need the belly heat to digest properly or is my heating setup ok? Any input is greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time

Bodie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    With temps in the ranges you stated you should not need a separate UTH. The current setup sounds perfect.