Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,247

0 members and 2,247 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact or Myth?

Thanks

Fact or Myth?

I've been told by a local keeper of a few BP's to stay away from any with the Spider gene as he says they are very nippy and don't grow out of it. Is this true? And are there and other specific genes to stay away from when looking for pet first BP's? And lastly, any difference in temperament between males and females?
    Last edited by MR Snakes; 12-14-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: Fact or Myth?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    I've been told by a local keeper of a few BP's to stay away from any with the Spider gene as he says they are very nippy and don't grow out of it. Is this true? And are there and other specific genes to stay away from when looking for pet first BP's?
    False... Avoid that local weirdo. Lol

There aren't any ball python morphs that are correlated to temperament/nippiness.

Some morphs have a higher chance of physical deformities, and some with genetic neurological issues (spiders), but it's nothing to do with being a first-time owner or not.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-14-2018 at 12:44 AM.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (12-14-2018),Lateralus_Love (12-14-2018),MR Snakes (12-14-2018),PitOnTheProwl (12-14-2018),Sonny1318 (12-14-2018),tttaylorrr (12-14-2018),zina10 (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    I've never had a nippy spider, so I don't know what he's talking about. There are some people who refuse to breed them because of the wobble, but it's too minor an issue to squabble about imo.

Temperament is different for each individual snake. It isn't attached to any specific gene. If you want a good pet, mention that when you're talking to the seller of the snake you're interested in.
    Last edited by the_rotten1; 12-14-2018 at 12:43 AM.
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018),MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    False... Avoid that local weirdo. Lol

There aren't any ball python morphs that are correlated to temperament/nippiness.

Some morphs have a higher chance of physical deformities, and some with genetic neurological issues (spiders), but it's nothing to do with being a first-time owner or not.
    Snow and ice does funny things to those who live here in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by the_rotten1 View Post
    I've never had a nippy spider, so I don't know what he's talking about. There are some people who refuse to breed them because of the wobble, but it's too minor an issue to squabble about imo.

Temperament is different for each individual snake. It isn't attached to any specific gene. If you want a good pet, mention that when you're talking to the seller of the snake you're interested in.
    Wobble? Good point with your last comment. Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    Snow and ice does funny things to those who live here in Maine.

Wobble? Good point with your last comment. Thanks
    Have u ever seen a snake with a wobble? I feel bad to say it but they are kinda cute. But I like helping animals that other people don’t like

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Hah!

My Bumble Bee (Pastel Spider) was the SWEETEST BP you could ever find. And a GREAT eater. Lucky for me, she had no visible wobble at all. The worst she did was sometimes miss her food at first strike. But ALL spider morphs have the wobble, some almost invisible, others pretty bad to the point of painful to watch. And the ones that have almost none, can get a worse wobble. While a bad wobble can seem to get better, simply by keeping the snake low stress. Once they settle in well and aren't excited/scared, they are much better. At feeding times the wobble seems to be worst. Most live full and seemingly happy lives.

Her hatchlings were also great eaters and sweet as can be. Her new owner ADORES that snake and she has given him a clutch of gorgeous hatchlings this year. All great eaters and beautiful

There are some other animals with this neurological defect. I have known of some dogs, they wobble while walking running, often falling over. Yet they are happy go lucky animals and there is no pain involved. They are just very unsteady animals.

I have heard that there are a couple of genetics which seem to produce a high percentage of rather snappy offspring. I could be wrong, but I think it may be the cinnamon's? Might not be true, though, just what I've heard..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Thanks

I know it can’t have anything to do with the morph, but every spider or spider combo I’ve had has been an absolute doll to handle. I think it’s just because of the neurological issues that even those with a minuscule/unnoticeable wobble have.

So if anything, I’d say it’s the exact opposite of what that person told you lol. The only thing to look out for with spiders is if you plan to breed, you cannot breed two spiders together. It is one of the few genes that is deadly in homozygous form.

Ball Pythons:
    1.0 Queenbee; 1.0 Spider; 1.0 Spider Het VPI Axanthic
    1.0 Albino Cinny; 1.0 Albino Pin; 1.0 Butter Pastel
    0.1 Het Axanthic; 0.2 Albino; 0.1 Pied
    0.1 Pastave; 0.1 Pastel; 0.1 Butter
    0.1 Super Vanilla Mojave
    Others:
    1.0 Kahl Albino BCI
    1.0 Albino Anaconda Hognose
    Mammals:
    4.0 Kitties, 3.1 Doggos, 0.2 Horses

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lateralus_Love For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018),zina10 (12-14-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    Most of the spider morphs I've run across in person or have seen on youtube are pretty docile snakes. Sometimes a bit antsy if they have a more pronounced wobble, but not nippy.
    Personally tho, I do have a very nippy spider. But that's just luck of the draw. I've tried different setups since May and she's very fussy about her food. So far, nothing has helped, she will come rushing out to defend herself. With luck, she may mellow out as she gets closer to that 1000 gram weight, but she's still small and at around 350 grams. She's fasting a bit right now...So who knows when she'll actually get to that size.

But that can just be how some bps in general are. I had a similar experience with a young normal phase. Once he was eating well and got to a good size, he was fine.
    Another 'nippy' bp of mine was a rescue normal with a severe burn, so he was just painful. Now he's mostly just a tad defensive, but I can't blame him after everything.

I had a rough time with blizzard morph leopard geckos back in 2005. They had a bit of a 'tude. They were the only leos I had where I would get bit. I'm assuming because at the time, they were probably not very diversified. Some of the original stock may have had more of a grumpy attitude. They were still the newest morphs at that time, so some people were still linebreeding to get visual blizzards as quick as possible. Blizzards now have had a chance to outcross and most I've seen are sweethearts now.

Spiders have had more than enough time to outcross, so I don't think it's anything like that, unless the spiders he was working with are pretty tightly linebred. And that's something you would want to avoid regardless. Linebreeding can help isolate some cool morphs, but can be detrimental after a while. Reptiles are far more forgiving than birds or mammals where issues crop up fairly quick and can be identified. Reptiles are slower at showing those lingering issues.
    That being said... a nippy bp isn't necessarily a bad thing in a breeding group. Just if you notice a higher incidence of nippy descendents than normal, you may want to reconsider that project.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 12-14-2018 at 04:14 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    My spider has never been nippy, but does weird things with his neck and head

[IMG][/IMG]
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

16. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Myth, at least for Shayna, my albino Spider BP.

I've had her since she was 200G and 5 months old and got her from Mark Petros. He had 4 Albino Spiders. He had two that were calm as can be and he could bump in the head and were just like, "please stop," as opposed to hissing or striking. Shayna was one, and was the calmest. She also took F/T readily. DING DING DING, we have a winner!

She's never so much as looked at me funny. When she was settled into her quarantine tank, and had a meal or two, she hissed at me 2X, on two consecutive times taking her out (over a 4 day period or so - Tuesday and then Thursday, or something like that). Both times I called her bluff, picked her up, and she's never done it since. She didn't even lift her head, open her mouth, or anything. Just a little hiss when I touched her to pick her up.

I hook train any snake that can do damage. Pretty much any boid and python. Shayna is my only exception to that. Yafe, carpet python, hook trained. So are both my boas, and for good reason! Shayna barely ever even strikes are her F/T prey. Usually she just grabs and pulls back into her house. She scares the crap out of me the 1X or so a year she decides to strike and coil the prey. I am never expecting it and have no idea what compels her to strike that once every 20-25 feedings or so.

Shayna is a little shy, and has a tendency to scare herself, especially when first out. She will bump her head into my body, or arm, etc. and shoot backwards, obvisouly scared. She is a little head shy, but if out for a few minutes, and gentle with her, you can gently work your way up her neck and put her head in your hand, etc. She's not Behira (BCI) level where you can just rub her chin, or put her head in your hand and pet her head. She never will be, but that's okay.

Even though she can be a little shy, and almost skittish, she has never demonstrated defensiveness in these situations. It's more like, "OH NO! Make it stop!" Then a second later, she's like, "Phew. Thank G-D, that's over."

She's a great snake ambassador as she's slow moving, beautiful, and calm as can be. My niece, now 8, has been interacting with Shayna since I got her and my niece, Meghan, was 2 1/2. They are buddies and she really got Meghan into reptiles. Meghan just started writing book reports and her first one is on..............wait for it........Reptiles!

Anyway, Shayna is about as cool a customer as you can have in a snake. So, as stated earlier, in regards to Shayna, TOTAL MYTH.

For what's worth, she also shows virtually zero signs of wobble.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

mandymg86 (12-18-2018),MR Snakes (12-14-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast