Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,556

1 members and 3,555 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have both an adult female blood and a breeding pair of super dwarfs pythons. The personality could not be anymore different, my blood could barely coil itself around me and hardly tries to move where as my retics are very active and seem very much aware. I have a pair of Angolans, a blood, a boa, a pair of womas, a pair of super dwarf retics and balls. The retics are much more interactive, they were very nippy at first but over time with tapping their heads with my snake hook before taking them out they have calmed down. Have you considered monetary value of each snake or does that not matter to you? A normal female blood is very inexpensive compared to a morph retic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mdb730 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Im a huge fan of bloods/STPs.

My Borneo is such a chill snake, a perfect example of a "lap snake". He's content to just chill, look around a bit and relax while I watch tv or whatever.

They're definitely different to handle from any other snake I've ever handled too. Pretty much no wrapping at all, so you have to support their thick bodies more than most snakes.

My boy is a bit of a pain in the butt eater (uncommon for bloods/STPs) but other than that he's awesome.

To me, it's a no brainer....but that's me
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 12-13-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks

Re: Might be trading Monty......

I have a Borneo Short-tail. He is really calm hasn't tried to strike at all. Great feeder hasn't missed a single feeding.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    This issue reminded me of a Youtube channel I follow for Burms.....Retics aren't my thing, but drthik1 (a Youtube user who breeds and owns numerous Retics-I actually think CALMpythons knows him personally) claims that if you're going to get one for pet purposes a female is the better one to have due to a more calm temperament, especially when they reach mating size. He basically says to just deal with the size difference in exchange for the temperament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6B-nBfslY

Regardless though, I'm a large constrictor kind of guy so I'd hold on to the Retic and just work with him every day....but that's just me. Nothing against bloods.
    Caesar is a breeding age male retic and he is a giant lush. Guy has never took a shot at me. Worst he does is shove my hand away if he wants to be left alone and if that doesnt work, he just wanders to the other side of the cage lol. When he wanted a girlfriend, his thing though was to push furiously all over the door. I personally thing a lot has to do with how you 'raise' the snake as well as it's demenor as a baby. Caesar was always a mellow baby except food time. Even my GTPs are mellow and i can put them down in my open hand on their perch and they will crawl off onto my hand to explore.

And to Skyriver, my vote goes to keeping the retic. A Blood Python reminds me of a BP aka pet rock......but what do i know, i got boas that are pet rocks for the most part as well as pet rocks on a stick aka GTPs lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 12-13-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (12-14-2018),KevinK (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Caesar is a breeding age male retic and he is a giant lush. Guy has never took a shot at me. Worst he does is shove my hand away if he wants to be left alone and if that doesnt work, he just wanders to the other side of the cage lol. When he wanted a girlfriend, his thing though was to push furiously all over the door. I personally thing a lot has to do with how you 'raise' the snake as well as it's demenor as a baby. Caesar was always a mellow baby except food time. Even my GTPs are mellow and i can put them down in my open hand on their perch and they will crawl off onto my hand to explore.

And to Skyriver, my vote goes to keeping the retic. A Blood Python reminds me of a BP aka pet rock......but what do i know, i got boas that are pet rocks for the most part as well as pet rocks on a stick aka GTPs lol.
    Sauzo, thanks for the advice. Here is what happened.

I took Monty out to put him in the tub to take him to trade him. He attacked the hook 4 times before I got him to run away. Super hungry as usual. Once he decided was not food time he ran. I got him out and he ran as hard as he could for 5 minuets before I could put him in the tub for transporting him. Was going to meet the guy at Rainforest Pets, a local pet store that is awesome how they educate and treat their animals. I was waiting on the guy to show up and was holding Monty in my hands working with him a bit. He was calm and active. No aggression. WOW he is great looking, glittering with the platinum gene. The way he was acting started to give me hope for him. I waited and waited and the guy never showed up. Was a good thing because I now feel Monty is just young and needs more work and love. The guy tried to rescheduled for today but I am going to cancel for now. The little guy won my heart again. They are truly amazing animals. Besides, everyone needs one of those to keep them on their toes and be reminded to stay alert while handling them.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-14-2018),Sauzo (12-14-2018),zina10 (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Glad to hear it might work out after all. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Caesar has always not been a huge fan of being handled. He likes petting and likes to explore and sit on my arms at his discretion but doesn't care to be dragged out. Maybe Monty is the same. Also Caesar mellowed out with age.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Good job Monty! Glad you're staying home
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius