Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

0 members and 2,861 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Re: Might be trading Monty......

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    I am a huge fan of retics in general. I have Rainbow (mainland female suntiger age 3) and she is great animal to work with. Aurora (Platinum Titanium female) will be paid off December 31 and ship January 7th if weather is good. Hope will be another great animal. I agree that from my limited experience that size is not as difficult as attitude to deal with. I have no intentions of breeding and so keeping a grumpy male serves no purpose for me. I love to share my animals and hand them to people. I could never trust Monty on any level to do this.
    And he might only get "grumpier" as an adult when the females are perpetually out of reach?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And he might only get "grumpier" as an adult when the females are perpetually out of reach?
    I have no experience with adults as of yet so I can not say. Even Rainbow at age 3 is not fully mature or breeding size as of yet and she is 12 feet and 33 lbs.

Thanks

I have no experience with adults as of yet so I can not say. Even Rainbow at age 3 is not fully mature or breeding size as of yet and she is 12 feet and 33 lbs.
    And I wasn't speaking specifically for this species, but in general, as snakes mature & sense a mate is nearby, even passive types can be restless as captives.

Thanks

And I wasn't speaking specifically for this species, but in general, as snakes mature & sense a mate is nearby, even passive types can be restless as captives.
    My yearling balls have been restless but not going to let them breed. I think they both can smell each other but no point in me breeding.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Thanks

My yearling balls have been restless but not going to let them breed. I think they both can smell each other but no point in me breeding.
    I'd much rather have a few restless BPs than a restless retic, lol.

Thanks

Well when you put it that way you're already going to have two giants on your hands so you might as well get a male Burm ....which are usually puppy dog tame, just vocal, even at breeding size in males.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Well when you put it that way you're already going to have two giants on your hands so you might as well get a male Burm ....which are usually puppy dog tame, just vocal, even at breeding size in males.
    The one I am looking at is a Blood python.

I did a lot of reading about burms…. the issue with them that keeps me from them is their being prone to RI when they get older. I think I read that granite and albinos were the ones with the issues. No clue if it is true but I have to say that most of my snakes will be female from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd much rather have a few restless BPs than a restless retic, lol.
    Agreed. They can be beasts!

Thanks

The one I am looking at is a Blood python.

I did a lot of reading about burms…. the issue with them that keeps me from them is their being prone to RI when they get older. I think I read that granite and albinos were the ones with the issues. No clue if it is true but I have to say that most of my snakes will be female from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

I know, and do what you want, if you want the blood, get it. They're sweet little sausages haha.

Every species has it's issues, Retics with face pushing, Burms with RI....which in all honesty isn't even a concern in a proper cage like an AP enclosure. It's mainly from poor humidity levels. It's across the board though, not specific to Albinism or Granite only. If I have the stones to own and keep a 12 ft constrictor to begin with I would just accept the fact that she may take a swipe at you at some point, and it may occur when she weighs more than you lol. Nothing you can do about it. Off the top of my head though, when I think of problematic males I really only think of Iguanas and Retics. I'm sure there are other species but none that I've owned where it makes that much of a difference.
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-13-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks

My blood is around the same size as the one in the photo. I have had no issues regarding an attitude in any way. He is not very fond of being handled but happily hangs out with us on the bed, couch, floor or wherever, so I work with what he gives me and do not force it. I always make sure to move carefully but precisely when removing him from the tank, attempting not to startle or spook him as he is still quite nervous.

I have had him for a couple of months and have not seen any of the stereotypical blood python nastiness. I am most likely overly cautious, but that is ok with me as I feel it will create a better environment for the animal, and he will feel safe with me.

I am not an expert and there are certainly people her that will chime in with TONS more experience. But the point is that I thing the reputation of the bloods has changed. Good luck if you do go with he blood, I sure do love mine!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cforlizzo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cforlizzo View Post
    My blood is around the same size as the one in the photo. I have had no issues regarding an attitude in any way. He is not very fond of being handled but happily hangs out with us on the bed, couch, floor or wherever, so I work with what he gives me and do not force it. I always make sure to move carefully but precisely when removing him from the tank, attempting not to startle or spook him as he is still quite nervous.

I have had him for a couple of months and have not seen any of the stereotypical blood python nastiness. I am most likely overly cautious, but that is ok with me as I feel it will create a better environment for the animal, and he will feel safe with me.

I am not an expert and there are certainly people her that will chime in with TONS more experience. But the point is that I thing the reputation of the bloods has changed. Good luck if you do go with he blood, I sure do love mine!!
    Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast