Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

5 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Might be trading Monty......

So as you all know I have Monty (male platinum motely reticulated python) estimated around a year old. Grumpy and bitty till you get him out and even then unpredictable. A friend of mine has a female baby blood python. I don't have a blood in my collection yet. I am considering trading him for her. He claims that the blood is calm for a baby and eating well. I know they can be feisty but with time and work can calm down.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks

Re: Might be trading Monty......

Photos of the blood.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    I would make the trade in a heartbeat... but it's up to you. I've not kept either kind, but that's a pretty blood & I'd sooner have
    a blood than a retic...MUCH sooner, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-13-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would make the trade in a heartbeat... but it's up to you.
    Leaning heavy that direction.

Please share any experience you have with the Blood pythons.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    While either one can be feisty & unpredictable, for me it's just a matter of size. And I've always liked the look of bloods too, but like I said, haven't kept either.

Thanks
    My baby boy blood has a great temperament! Definitely does not sit still when handling him but has never shown any signs of wanting to strike. Really glad I picked him up, such a cool snake. Took f/t too without hesitation first time I fed him also.
    1.0 Spider Ball
    Albino Ball
    Cinnamon Mojav​e Ball
    1.0 Red Blood '18

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rockonjp76 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I have a Borneo STP and a chrome-headed Sumatran STP and they are both not feisty in the least bit. Except for feeding time, then they hit REALLY hard and REALLY fast. It is supposedly really easy to overfeed these guys, from what I've read, so I am erring with smaller meals. (But I tend to do that across the entire collection)

Mine are mostly sedentary with the only movement being pupils, except after eating, then he'll go drink some water, and then go burrow on the warm side. I provide thick layers of substrate because they enjoy burrowing. And a large water dish to soak in if desired.

I keep my humidity up around 70% and ambient temps around 83* - You just have to watch that enclosures do not get too cold or too wet. When soaking them (if ever necessary) be sure to replace the water when it gets cool, or do shorter periods of soaking in warmer water. I do not like to let their body temperature swing too much compared to some other more tolerant species.

I enjoy mine IMMENSELY, but I don't think it could serve as a replacement for a snake that's built like a Retic - it's just different.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PiperPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018),MR Snakes (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockonjp76 View Post
    My baby boy blood has a great temperament! Definitely does not sit still when handling him but has never shown any signs of wanting to strike. Really glad I picked him up, such a cool snake. Took f/t too without hesitation first time I fed him also.
    Thanks for your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PiperPython View Post
    I have a Borneo STP and a chrome-headed Sumatran STP and they are both not feisty in the least bit. Except for feeding time, then they hit REALLY hard and REALLY fast. It is supposedly really easy to overfeed these guys, from what I've read, so I am erring with smaller meals. (But I tend to do that across the entire collection)

Mine are mostly sedentary with the only movement being pupils, except after eating, then he'll go drink some water, and then go burrow on the warm side. I provide thick layers of substrate because they enjoy burrowing. And a large water dish to soak in if desired.

I keep my humidity up around 70% and ambient temps around 83* - You just have to watch that enclosures do not get too cold or too wet. When soaking them (if ever necessary) be sure to replace the water when it gets cool, or do shorter periods of soaking in warmer water. I do not like to let their body temperature swing too much compared to some other more tolerant species.

I enjoy mine IMMENSELY, but I don't think it could serve as a replacement for a snake that's built like a Retic - it's just different.
    With my new girl I will have 3 retics unless I trade Monty off. He is a good animal just not a good pet. LOL. The person who will be taking him knows them and he will be well cared for as her passes his genetics on to his new herald of women retics he will be visiting next year. The blood gives me a new species to work with/ educate others on. I think my mind is made up.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018),MR Snakes (12-13-2018)

Thanks

This issue reminded me of a Youtube channel I follow for Burms.....Retics aren't my thing, but drthik1 (a Youtube user who breeds and owns numerous Retics-I actually think CALMpythons knows him personally) claims that if you're going to get one for pet purposes a female is the better one to have due to a more calm temperament, especially when they reach mating size. He basically says to just deal with the size difference in exchange for the temperament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6B-nBfslY

Regardless though, I'm a large constrictor kind of guy so I'd hold on to the Retic and just work with him every day....but that's just me. Nothing against bloods.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-13-2018),Sonny1318 (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    This issue reminded me of a Youtube channel I follow for Burms.....Retics aren't my thing, but drthik1 (a Youtube user who breeds and owns numerous Retics-I actually think CALMpythons knows him personally) claims that if you're going to get one for pet purposes a female is the better one to have due to a more calm temperament, especially when they reach mating size. He basically says to just deal with the size difference in exchange for the temperament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6B-nBfslY

Regardless though, I'm a large constrictor kind of guy so I'd hold on to the Retic and just work with him every day....but that's just me. Nothing against bloods.
    I am a huge fan of retics in general. I have Rainbow (mainland female suntiger age 3) and she is great animal to work with. Aurora (Platinum Titanium female) will be paid off December 31 and ship January 7th if weather is good. Hope will be another great animal. I agree that from my limited experience that size is not as difficult as attitude to deal with. I have no intentions of breeding and so keeping a grumpy male serves no purpose for me. I love to share my animals and hand them to people. I could never trust Monty on any level to do this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast