Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,207

1 members and 3,206 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

FINALLY Got It Right!

So, after MANY days of trial & error as I’ve had sleepless nights trying to figure out a solution to my “low humidity in a glass box” dilemma, I got it! Can’t remember who it was (will go back into the comments on another post and get his/her name) but their recommendation for removing some of the coconut substrate may help with my heating issue I was having. Well, I removed about half, putting my substrate down to about 1/2” and BOOM....humidity level shot up from 47 to 70%!! I’m so happy! lol
    Carpe' Diem

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Next time avoid the self inflicted pain and have the enclosure and husbandry ready at least a week ahead of time (2 weeks would be better), before purchasing your snake.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),CALM Pythons (12-12-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Shayne (12-11-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Nice job!! We were all new once, and unfortunately there's no "one size fits all" answer to certain aspects of husbandry. Since we all live in different parts of the world our climates are different. Some people heat their homes differently than others, some like their houses warmer than others, we use different enclosures, etc...all variables that make setting up our enclosures a bit different.

All you can do is learn. Trial and error will go a long way with dialing things in.

Follow the advice of experienced keepers and learn all you can. There are definitely "tricks of the trade", but what works for person A could be drastically different from what works for person B due to any of the variables I mentioned and more.

Good luck, keep up the good work!
    Ask all the questions you may have. We're happy to help.

....oh, and the advice Ricky gave is great advice for your NEXT snake
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 12-11-2018 at 05:09 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),RickyNY (12-11-2018),Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: FINALLY Got It Right!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Next time avoid the self inflicted pain and have the enclosure and husbandry ready at least a week ahead of time (2 weeks would be better), before purchasing your snake.
    Or after enough snakes you'll get really good at setting up enclosures on the fly. I love looking through drawers and finding things I forgot I purchased. What's this - hides?! Decor?! An extra thermostat?! It's like Christmas. 😀

BUT OP, it is generally better to be prepared in advance if at all possible. That way, when you go to an expo and tell yourself that you're definitely not getting another snake, you'll be ready when you bring home one. Or two.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),RickyNY (12-11-2018),Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    Just to clarify, I've had it set up for over 3 weeks but kept getting ill-advised info. that was steering me in the wrong direction, hence setting me back every time. Lesson learned.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Or after enough snakes you'll get really good at setting up enclosures on the fly. I love looking through drawers and finding things I forgot I purchased. What's this - hides?! Decor?! An extra thermostat?! It's like Christmas. 😀

BUT OP, it is generally better to be prepared in advance if at all possible. That way, when you go to an expo and tell yourself that you're definitely not getting another snake, you'll be ready when you bring home one. Or two.
    Too funny! Yea, I can totally see myself being just like that in the near future. It's already been happening to me with my reef tank. I've collected so many pumps, extra live rock, testing kits....and yes, it does feel kinda like Christmas.

Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Nice job!! We were all new once, and unfortunately there's no "one size fits all" answer to certain aspects of husbandry. Since we all live in different parts of the world our climates are different. Some people heat their homes differently than others, some like their houses warmer than others, we use different enclosures, etc...all variables that make setting up our enclosures a bit different.

All you can do is learn. Trial and error will go a long way with dialing things in.

Follow the advice of experienced keepers and learn all you can. There are definitely "tricks of the trade", but what works for person A could be drastically different from what works for person B due to any of the variables I mentioned and more.

Good luck, keep up the good work!
    Ask all the questions you may have. We're happy to help.

....oh, and the advice Ricky gave is great advice for your NEXT snake
    Yes sir, it's definitely trial & error. Hell, I THOUGHT 3+ weeks would've been plenty of time to be ready but nooo....I guess the universe had other plans. Oh well, at least my lil' buddy is all happy now. Gonna try to feed him next week so we shall see.

Thanks so much for the insight. It's much appreciated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-12-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    When I had a glass tank, the best winter time humidity solution was laying a wet towel on the screen covering ¾ of it. Eventually, I just bought a whole house humidifier since I have a whole bunch of snakes now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    When I had a glass tank, the best winter time humidity solution was laying a wet towel on the screen covering ¾ of it. Eventually, I just bought a whole house humidifier since I have a whole bunch of snakes now.
    Those are actually great ideas. I had considered getting a humidifier for the room but my humidity jumped to 70% today and it's about 37 outside. House stays 72, which looks to be a good range for my lil' buddy. Hopefully, the summer will be even easier. Is that typically the case?

Thanks so much for the info!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Those are actually great ideas. I had considered getting a humidifier for the room but my humidity jumped to 70% today and it's about 37 outside. House stays 72, which looks to be a good range for my lil' buddy. Hopefully, the summer will be even easier. Is that typically the case?

Thanks so much for the info!
    Summer was definitely easier for me as far as humidity and temps were concerned (I'm in northwest IN).

Most of my tanks are glass still, and humidity right now is a real challenge. I currently have paper towel substrate, which I know makes it even more difficult. There are a lot of great tips out there as far as modifying tanks to better hold humidity, mostly to do with insulation and covering a good chunk of the screen top.

What I've found to work fairly well so far is to simply mist heavily 2-3 times per day, more like 3-4 times if I know a snake is about to shed. I recently got the Exo Terra mister, which makes this a lot easier.

Granted, I am very much looking forward to the day all of our snakes are in PVC cages, which hold humidity great.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Summer was definitely easier for me as far as humidity and temps were concerned (I'm in northwest IN).

Most of my tanks are glass still, and humidity right now is a real challenge. I currently have paper towel substrate, which I know makes it even more difficult. There are a lot of great tips out there as far as modifying tanks to better hold humidity, mostly to do with insulation and covering a good chunk of the screen top.

What I've found to work fairly well so far is to simply mist heavily 2-3 times per day, more like 3-4 times if I know a snake is about to shed. I recently got the Exo Terra mister, which makes this a lot easier.

Granted, I am very much looking forward to the day all of our snakes are in PVC cages, which hold humidity great.
    Yes, I was NOT looking forward to misting multiple times a day. Thankfully, I finally got it balanced. Took some modifying but we're good now. I did have to tape the top screen leaving a hole just big enough (slightly larger) for the CHE to get through, I installed foam boards on 3 sides and added another large water dish which sits partially over the UTH for evaporation. Water temp stays around 85 so if he decides to take a swim it won't burn him.

Was actually looking at the Exo-Terra Misters a few days ago. Would love to hear how it's working out for ya after a trial run.

Thanks for the insight!