Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 801

5 members and 796 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitey Baby

Thanks

Bitey Baby

Hello, first post on this cool and useful forum!

looks like I’ve caught some kind of disease!

it started a month or two ago, at a local reptile fair.
    I came home with a beautiful baby, a lesser het pied female.
    She is very gentle and chilled, but eating like a demon on frozen/thawed rat fuzzies.
    She’s already much heavier. And I’m in love!

Then after too many YouTube videos and too much forum scouring, the disease set in.
    Last Saturday I took a seven hour drive to Hamm, Germany, to Europe’s biggest reptile fair.

There I got Mr Bitey, a stunning banana/coral glow Enchi Mojave september hatchling.

his behavior when I got him home was different. Very defensive ‘f-off’ pose, and a few attempts to tag me. My theory is he’s mega stressed. Uk to Hamm, Hamm to Denmark (where I am), new enclosure... lots of reasons to be freaked. He didn’t even hide for the first two days.

Now he in his hide behaving more ‘normally’. I’m leaving him completely alone for a week, not trying to feed him or disturb him.

First time I’ve seen tagging behavior, I’m new to this, so just looking for assurances that this is all normal, and that he won’t be a bitey baby forever!

Husbandry is all good I think, they’re in tubs with under the belly heating + thermostats, heat gradient, two hides, small water dish, good humidity levels.

thanks for reading if you got this far!

Thanks
    Welcome. I'm new here so I'll just watch. But I'd think it'll be something he'll grow out of once he's settled. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    We have a bitey adult. Some are just wired that way I think. There's a youtube video of an entire clutch of newly hatched babies all biting each other. We have greatly curbed this behavior by giving a warning before we pick her up by rubbing her back gently. Then if she doesn't hide her head or have it neutral upon lifting out, I cup my hand and put it over her head and then put my other hand over her body to let her know I'm bigger than she is. It's all very gentle. It seems to work well for her, but I can never fully trust her and I expect her to bite still at times.

The other day, against my advice, my daughter took "bitey" out and had her friend holding her. Which was all going well until a couple of other kids burst into the room and crowded around her, and she bit the friend and made her bleed a bit. The mom was cool about it but I told my daughter that no one but family holds that snake in the future, nor does she come out when guests are over.

Now my other BP is a totally docile snake who never has bitten or even threatened to bite anyone. I do think some of the personality is just wired in.

Edited to add the video showing the bitey babies and tips that the keeper shows to help with this behavior.

Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-11-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Paddy (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts
    Have no fear, he's completely normal. Just like us, some 'baby' snakes are more nervous than others, but much has to do with what they've gone
    thru so far in life. Remember their instincts keep them alive in the wild...anything that picks them up is normally a predator that's about to EAT them, so of course
    he's scared & defending himself the only way he can. They also don't rely on vision to identify us...more by scent & touch, so don't be surprised if he still doesn't
    think you're his pal from any distance. If they were all the same, they wouldn't be nearly so addicting anyway... But stay patient while he learns, & keep in
    mind that they may still have a different personality.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-11-2018 at 02:48 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Paddy (01-29-2019)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hatching are defensive their is just no way around it, they see you as a predator and that's what it's all about.

Until they reach about 250 grams I recommend handling no more than once or twice a week for no longer than 30 min.

As they grow in size this behavior will disappear and usually by the time they are 500 grams it's no longer an issue.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

e_nigma (01-30-2019),MissterDog (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Paddy (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Totally normal! I have 2 really pissy girls, one (the younger of the two, Queenspin YB) is mellowing out and only hisses when i pull her out but relaxes pretty quickly. The other one (firefly blitz maybe 2 yrs old) starts striking at anything that moves as soon as her hide box is pulled. I got her from a friend who rarely handled his snakes. She is always stiff as a board and actually tagged me yesterday as I walked by with my gf holding her LOL! I hope she will calm down but like some people, some snakes are just gonna be fiesty! The good news is if they strike at nothing they usually have a great feeding response
    Last edited by Cam the Snake Man; 12-11-2018 at 03:54 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam the Snake Man For This Useful Post:

Paddy (01-29-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Bitey Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Hatching are defensive their is just no way around it, they see you as a predator and that's what it's all about.

Until they reach about 250 grams I recommend handling no more than once or twice a week for no longer than 30 min.

As they grow in size this behavior will disappear and usually by the time they are 500 grams it's no longer an issue.
    LOL unless it's my 1600 gram girl who is still very bitey and hissy
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Nice thread and very helpful video.

Thanks

Re: Bitey Baby

Thanks for all the advice guys. Maybe on the weekend I'll try to feed him, but quite happy to leave him alone for a few weeks.

Will keep you posted!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Two of my hatchlings were very defensive as soon as they were set up in their little tubs after hatching. With one it was mostly hissing loudly and posturing, but she would calm down as soon as lifted out.

The other one actually rushed to the front of the tub as soon as I opened it, ready to rumble !!! I didn't do any handling to tame them. But what I did do is open the tub frequently, simply to either clean it or attempt to feed them or get a weight. Just maintenance things. When I did have to take them out I always gently put my flat hand on them from above. Apply VERY GENTLE pressure on their heads and body, basically just a calming touch to snap them out of their pissy state. Then I immediately picked them up. If they would go back to being pissy (s-curve, tense, huffing, staring, ready to tag) they would get cupped once again with the other hand from above with gentle pressure, and that is usually all it took. All handling and touching should be GENTLE but deliberate. Within a couple times of handling them this way they were over the defensiveness.

The most pissy/defensive one ended up being the BEST pet BP anyone could ask for. I gifted him to a worker at the barn where I board my horse at, so I hear about Monty regularly. The owner adores that snake. Monty is bold and curious and doesn't display any of the shy behavior BP's are known for. He has never even been head shy. You can literally touch his head and he won't pull back. Never a problem eating, either. And no aggressiveness at all.

I find the hatchlings with a bit of sass the best ones. Once calmed down they loose the pissyness but usually keep the bold and curious aspect of their personality. The hatchlings that are "super sweet" are usually just very shy and scared and harder to get to eat.

Don't be afraid to handle him. Just don't over do it for now. But when you need to do maintenance or you want to weigh him or look him over, just take him out, make him deal with it, keep it short and sweet and return him home He will quickly realize that you are no threat and you are also not intimidated by his tough act
    Last edited by zina10; 12-12-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Apophis'parents (02-01-2019),Bogertophis (12-20-2018),Paddy (01-29-2019)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast