Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,516

1 members and 3,515 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Curious Behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It really depends on what you want from the animals you keep. Me, I like to interact with them. I love snakes that are watching me back & fun to hold.

I used to keep & breed bull & gopher snakes: they are active & need a good-sized cage...they're diurnal too. Adult size is about 6', very slow growth after
    that, & 7-8' would be exceptional for sure. All snakes grow their whole life, but it slows way down. For me, 6' is a nice size, & though it seems huge when
    you're new & thinking about a future snake, they grow slowly. Also, a 6' rat or bull snake is MUCH lighter than a 6' boa. Rat snakes have a more slender
    build than a bull snake, but either one is nothing like a 6' boa. BTW, there are also some smaller versions of gopher snakes, about 4' I think...I never dealt
    with them though.
    Yesss, that's what I like about them. I wanted one that would kinda look at me (at least in my direction...lol). Looks like I may have gotten lucky, which is the main reason I wanted to wait for an expo. I wanted to actually interact and hold them before making a decision. I figured 3 weeks before the expo. would've been plenty of time, but nope. Thankfully the only problems I ran into after getting him home were low humidity (I misted multiple times a day with Zilla - Tropical Mist) and his hides are too large. Paper towels solved that issue until my new hides arrive tomorrow. My oldest daughter also went home with an albino. She's in love.

6 ft. is really about the size I'd prefer, which is the main reason I was wanting a female, however, a certain male yellow pastel had different plans for me. Can't wait to get him eating. Gonna feed on Monday. I want to get him eating at least 3 consecutive meals before handling him regularly. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Part of it for me is almost nostalgia. Kings were the snakes that got me into snakes about a hundred years ago. Ok, more like twenty, but you get the point... It was a classic black and white Cal King that I fell in love with and that was my first snake. My current boy is a brown and cream colored classic Cal King. I'm a sucker for the classics I guess

Anyway, I love their size, food response and handleability. They are very easy and firgiving woth husbandry and are absolute garbage disposals whwn it comes to feeding. I often joke that Django would eat a slice of pizza if I dangled in his enclosure, as long as it's meat livers!!! Hahahaha!
    They can be nippy when young, but usually outgrow it pretty quickly. Once they have a little size on them they're much more confident and far less defensive. If you've ever gotten a paper cut, a cat scratch or a new sting those all hurt far worse than a bite from an adult King.

Django is about 52" and a little over 800 grams and is in a 4x2x2 enclosure and uses every inch. He's active, alert and ALWAYS eats.

Kings are fun snakes and super easy to keep. After starting with a BP a King would be simple and stress free for you.
    Funny you'd mention nostalgia and how we reverberate back to the classics. When I was a kid I was running across the yard and stepped on a 4 ft. Black Runner. It was laying, curled up right next to my bike which was propped up on a kick stand. I CLEARED that bike like an olympic hurdler. Was terrified of snakes from that day on. Now, I want one. lol

Django sounds amazing. So, what about ball python bites? I've heard a cat scratch hurts worse. If that's the case then I'm okay with it.

Nope, they have different ranges, but are very similar & could interbreed (though I would never do that & don't recommend it...there's no reason to).
    Plus, bull snakes get a little bigger. Both are close cousins with pine snakes too, but again, different range. When I lived in So Calif. we had native gopher snakes,
    but no bull snakes. The ones (bull snakes) I had came from c/b sources, but my gopher snakes were locals.
    Ahh ok...makes sense. Which do you prefer?

The thing is, take your time to research (including all the good questions you've been asking) to be sure of what you want, because most of these snakes
    can live to 20 years or more. Try to see & meet some in person if you can. (good luck not falling in love with each one though, haha!)
    Well, I've read 3 books in the past month, which is when I was "bitten"...pun intended. Was asking lots of questions from a "local" source but I'm learning his/her ways may not be the direction I wanna go. I'm just glad I stumbled up on y'all before my old brain got too cloudy. lol And I know I've lost all chances of living with just one snake. It's a sickness but I'm okay with that. Thanks for all the help!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-13-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Yesss, that's what I like about them. I wanted one that would kinda look at me (at least in my direction...lol). Looks like I may have gotten lucky, which is the main reason I wanted to wait for an expo. I wanted to actually interact and hold them before making a decision. I figured 3 weeks before the expo. would've been plenty of time, but nope. Thankfully the only problems I ran into after getting him home were low humidity (I misted multiple times a day with Zilla - Tropical Mist) and his hides are too large. Paper towels solved that issue until my new hides arrive tomorrow. My oldest daughter also went home with an albino. She's in love.

6 ft. is really about the size I'd prefer, which is the main reason I was wanting a female, however, a certain male yellow pastel had different plans for me. Can't wait to get him eating. Gonna feed on Monday. I want to get him eating at least 3 consecutive meals before handling him regularly. Fingers crossed....
    Wait, you just GOT a snake? -or 2, counting your daughter's? Do tell! We need DETAILS!

I don't have a preference between gopher & bull snakes...gopher snakes tend to stay smaller & lighter in body, but both are intelligent & easy pets. Like nearly all rat
    snakes, the Pituophis 'family' tends to be curious & interactive, easy to feed on f/t, & reliable about knowing we're not their "food". I've kept many king snakes & love
    them too, but some of them can be a little 'food-focused' when handled...not all, just some. If the Pituophis group has any drawbacks it's their need for sizable housing-
    they can be pushy & restless because that's how they live in the wild...actively hunting. Some will rub their noses, make sure screen is both tough & soft: I make my
    own cage lids for glass tanks, & for this type of snake, I used 2 layers...soft smooth nylon screen for inner-facing layer, & 'hardware cloth' aka welded wire, for outer.

BTW, gopher & rat snakes need good ventilation & glass tanks work best, with full screen tops. Please don't treat them like a ball python!

Snake bites from any harmless snake (BPs or bulls or whatever) are like getting fast & multiple pin-pricks...if you do any sewing, it's like when you miss...
    & if not, it's like an injection at the doctor...but faster. Paper cuts & other non-snake injuries are worse, lol. Most snake bites are avoidable...learn to interpret
    their body language, & don't confuse a snake by handling & thereby smelling like their food. Snakes rely on scent to identify, not vision...if you forget, your snake will "remind" you...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-13-2018),Shayne (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Wait, you just GOT a snake? -or 2, counting your daughter's? Do tell! We need DETAILS!

I don't have a preference between gopher & bull snakes...gopher snakes tend to stay smaller & lighter in body, but both are intelligent & easy pets. Like nearly all rat
    snakes, the Pituophis 'family' tends to be curious & interactive, easy to feed on f/t, & reliable about knowing we're not their "food". I've kept many king snakes & love
    them too, but some of them can be a little 'food-focused' when handled...not all, just some. If the Pituophis group has any drawbacks it's their need for sizable housing-
    they can be pushy & restless because that's how they live in the wild...actively hunting. Some will rub their noses, make sure screen is both tough & soft: I make my
    own cage lids for glass tanks, & for this type of snake, I used 2 layers...soft smooth nylon screen for inner-facing layer, & 'hardware cloth' aka welded wire, for outer.
    Ha!! Yes, is that bad? We got them 5 days ago at an expo. Went to our 1st expo. about a month ago, which is what got us hooked and have been reading and researching ever since.

Great info! Will keep that in mind when we go shopping.....again.

I keep Germ-X every where and use it often just by habit. He really looks to be a good guy, so far. Can't wait to start interacting with him.
    Last edited by Shayne; 12-13-2018 at 01:52 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Ha!! Yes, is that bad? We got them 5 days ago at an expo. Went to our 1st expo. about a month ago, which is what got us hooked and have been reading and researching ever since.

Great info! Will keep that in mind when we go shopping.....again.
    Bad? No...human, like the rest of us snake-junkies! What exactly did you get?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-13-2018 at 01:54 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Good to know about the bites. I can deal with that. lol

Thanks

Bad? No...human, like the rest of us snake-junkies!
    Good to know we're not the only weirdos around. Now, our friends & family have mostly sworn off ever coming over again since we've decided to get a danger noodle. Hopefully they'll come around one day. If not, I'm okay with that too. lol

Thanks

Good to know about the bites. I can deal with that. lol
    Well if you can manage not to pull away reflexively, that will help. When (if) you do that, their teeth can break off & stay embedded like splinters...they're translucent
    so very hard to see...that can cause infection & lingering 'ouch', but otherwise most snake bites don't even get infected- in my many years of experience (& truthfully
    I've ignored most bites, ie. didn't run for the Neosporin & band-aids). Only IF you have a large snake w/ longer teeth, stay up on tetanus shots...but you should anyway.

People always ask us "aren't you worried about snake bites?" when they learn we keep snakes... Remind them that you're not dealing with venom, and that actually,
    WAY worse injuries come from dog bites & scratches, cat bites/scratches (very infected is the norm), or birds, they can lop off chunks of skin & large ones, even a finger!
    And I love them but horses can kill you just by accident...oops. You are much safer with a snake!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Good to know we're not the only weirdos around. Now, our friends & family have mostly sworn off ever coming over again since we've decided to get a danger noodle. Hopefully they'll come around one day. If not, I'm okay with that too. lol
    And once you let them know you have "mousicles" in the freezer they'll probably stop pressuring you for pot-lucks & just meet you at a restaurant too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shayne (12-13-2018)

Thanks

Well if you can manage not to pull away reflexively, that will help. When (if) you do that, their teeth can break off & stay embedded like splinters...they're translucent
    so very hard to see...that can cause infection & lingering 'ouch', but otherwise most snake bites don't even get infected- in my many years of experience (& truthfully
    I've ignored most bites, ie. didn't run for the Neosporin & band-aids). Only IF you have a large snake w/ longer teeth, stay up on tetanus shots...but you should anyway.

People always ask us "aren't you worried about snake bites?" when they learn we keep snakes... Remind them that you're not dealing with venom, and that actually,
    WAY worse injuries come from dog bites & scratches, cat bites/scratches (very infected is the norm), or birds, they can lop off chunks of skin & large ones, even a finger!
    And I love them but horses can kill you just by accident...oops. You are much safer with a snake!
    Lmao!! It's funny....but when you put it that way we really ARE safer with snakes! I do stay up on all my shots, thankfully. Thanks for all the great info!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Shayne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-13-2018)

Thanks
    You are much safer with a snake!

And if you keep it around your shoulders, people won't get close enough to give you their cold & flu germs either...

But prepare for the day when they see you've "survived" your danger noodles and get curious...hopefully you'll win them all over.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast