Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

0 members and 3,045 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How to tell if musking vs needing to dedicate?

My little boy is now 8 ˝ months and he is very gentle—he’s never hissed or struck at me, and he’s hesitant around food unless very hungry (after a shed). He’s not shy, as he loves exploring and being handled. He even loves head pets.

My biggest concern is that Laszlo is actually afraid instead of docile. He gives indication that he wants to be pet as he’ll butt the top, bottom, or sides of his head against my hands until I pet him. He’s my first snake, though, and the fact that he relieves himself on me almost every time I pull him out of his tank (if he hasn’t already in the tank) after eating (even without “sausage butt”), he deficates on me. Is he defensive? Does he just have to go? Am I training him to go only on me (please no!)?

While not a pleasant experience, I realize he’s a ball python and he’s going to eliminate waste, but I’d rather not have to rinse out my clothes, take a quick shower, and make sure he’s not hidden presents for me every​ time I take him out.

Thanks
    That is rather odd. O.o

Now this might sound offensive but I don't think you can train a Ball Python to do much of anything except learn you are not a predator.

I have also never heard of a ball python musking. I could be wrong but this is my experience.

I would wait awhile to handle him again maybe until he defecates a good few times in his enclosure. This is about all the I can give in this subject O.o

It is just so weird. I have really never seen this problem with a Ball Python as much as I browse this forum.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VereMyth For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    How long are you handling him for? I try to keep handling times around 30 minutes.

Not trying to burst your bubble but snakes don't seek out attention or want to be pet. They learn to tolerate it but handling is for the keepers benefit- not the snakes. He's just being curious.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),Crowfingers (12-11-2018),MissterDog (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),tttaylorrr (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    I would agree 100% with what was said. Snakes in general are just not that intelligent (sorry folks). A lot of what they do is instinct. The movement provided by handling can put them in a position to eliminate waste but it very much can be your snake being fearful and using it as a defense mechanism. My suggestion would be to make sure you are in a quiet setting when you get your snake out to be handled. Also make sure you are calm and cut back your session to just a few minutes (10 - 15) and work up over time. As Kira mentioned your snake will learn to tolerate your handling session.

Bill

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bagnew For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),MissterDog (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Re: How to tell if musking vs needing to dedicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Clara View Post
    My little boy is now 8 ˝ months and he is very gentle—he’s never hissed or struck at me, and he’s hesitant around food unless very hungry (after a shed). He’s not shy, as he loves exploring and being handled. He even loves head pets.

My biggest concern is that Laszlo is actually afraid instead of docile. He gives indication that he wants to be pet as he’ll butt the top, bottom, or sides of his head against my hands until I pet him. He’s my first snake, though, and the fact that he relieves himself on me almost every time I pull him out of his tank (if he hasn’t already in the tank) after eating (even without “sausage butt”), he deficates on me. Is he defensive? Does he just have to go? Am I training him to go only on me (please no!)?

While not a pleasant experience, I realize he’s a ball python and he’s going to eliminate waste, but I’d rather not have to rinse out my clothes, take a quick shower, and make sure he’s not hidden presents for me every​ time I take him out.
    And welcome to the show, you've made it!

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I think it’s probably a coincidence. Burms, Retics and other snakes will piss when they want to get away, Ive never had any of those behaviors from Ball Pythons. Honestly over the 30 years I’ve had Pythons Ive come to the conclusion (no matter how much I love my Balls) they are the dumbest snake I’ve owned hahahaha. They have always seemed to be 100% instinct to me. Yes they have individuality, but still each one does what they do and thats all that they do. Having always had Giant Constrictors its given me something to compare it to. Kinda like a Velociraptor compared to a Herbivores hahahaha.
    When my balls were under a year I kept a tub/tote next to me because they would pee 1 out of 5 times when i held them. I chalked it up to the movement getting them going versus them laying in their hide for days on end.
    I try to take them out every other day as long as their ok with it and I’ve noticed it helps with digestion.
    The short & skinny is this might stop, mine slowed digestion down once they were over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),MissterDog (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    Honestly over the 30 years I’ve had Pythons Ive come to the conclusion (no matter how much I love my Balls) they are the dumbest snake I’ve owned hahahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love my BP, he's very docile and sweet, but yeah, my ratsnake is much more intelligent (and she's sweet too, but I can see her "thinking" a lot more than my BP).

I don't have much to add to OP's experiences, except that we have one that's very afraid and snappy. I will make sure she knows when I open the enclosure, then I will pet her back gently before picking her up so she can adjust to the fact that I'm there and not bite me out of fear or territorialism or whatever's going on.

My other thought is that BP like burrows and dark places. Perhaps when holding yours, provide a burrow for him to go right into, like even under your shirt or a little drawstring bag. That really seems to make my bitey BP much less afraid. Then she will stick her head out and come out of her own accord rather that being abruptly taken from her enclosure to out in the open in my hands.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-11-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Just a few other thoughts on what you've asked, Clara:

When a snake pushes their head or face against things, it's usually in an effort to remove old skin that failed to shed. Are you SURE his previous shed was complete?
    Skin often gets stuck on their chin/neck...also eye-caps can be a serious problem if left behind. I've known MANY snakes for many years, none that sought to be pet, especially on the head & face...so that's a clue. (Some snakes, like rosy boas, will push their faces into you, but that's testing to "see where the head
    is to grab for dinner", just as they do on a rodent before they pick it up. Some of them tend to be rather "confused" or very "optimistic". )

I am wondering how often you handle him? and how often he defecates? & what is the character of the stool? You might want to get a stool sample* checked out by
    your vet, as it's possible that the frequency is not normal, but instead is related to a gastrointestinal issue. *It seems you'll have no problem obtaining a sample either.
    Having a BP or most any kind of snake defecate on you reliably is NOT normal. Also, feces & musk are usually rather distinct...very rare for a BP to musk. Do keep in mind though that for an inactive snake, handling, ie. motion, does tend to stimulate their defecation somewhat.

You mention that he is "hesitant" around food...it's possible that you are handling excessively & reducing his desire to eat. It's hard to tell if a snake is stressed, but one
    indication is that they have a poor appetite. No matter how much you love to handle a snake, eating is "job #1" for the sake of their health. Those of us who enjoy more
    snake-handling often find it's more practical to keep multiple snakes...that way we aren't without one to handle when they are in shed, digesting or just not in the mood.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just a coincidence, the day you will be poop on out of defensive behavior there will be other signs along with it. (been there)

They don't really do this as a defense mechanism I had it happen once in 13 years out of MANY animals, it happened with a male that was placed with a "female" (long story short apparently it was not) he started trashing in the cage, I pulled him out and he just let it all go.
    Deborah Stewart

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-12-2018),Ronniex2 (12-11-2018)