Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,045

2 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Just making sure

So been about 5 or 6 weeks now that my girl hasn't been eating. I know they go into fasts during winter months just making sure this time is norm. She is just over a year old and has always eaten every week except 1 or 2 shed cycles she skipped a meal. She has 2 hides with temps in one at 81ish and the other around 92ish.
    Ambient temperature is around 82. Feeder rats are procured from a local breeder. Been using his for almost the whole time I've had her. She weighs 931g and rats offered were between 99g to 121g. Frozen rats are used, I defrost the rats in hot water until fully thawed, several bowls required and then I put the rat in a hot bowl to get the temp up before offering. She shows interest but never strikes. Have tried hair dryer heating, death dance (shaking), and I have left it in her enclosure lights out and unbothered to find it a couple hours later where it lied. Hope I got my bases covered for you all just making sure it could possibly just be her fasting for the winter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Females hit what I call the "1000 gram wall" and stop eating. For some reason, at about 1,000 grams, they will sometimes quit eating. It's normal, and not every female will fast, but more often than not, that's usually the case. Start offering every other week or once monthly if you feel so inclined.

Monitor weight for extreme losses and ride it out. She will eat again. You may have to get a live to get her drive going again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eramyl For This Useful Post:

Millsr231 (12-11-2018)