Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,016

1 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Rack system vs Glass Aquarium

So with everything I'm reading, it seems the best and easiest way to go with husbandry for BP's is a rack system. Ease of cleaning, privacy for the snake, easier dealing with temp/humidity and overall cost when looking at acquiring multiple snakes (3). I have a couple of questions.

1) Do the tubs provide enough security on their own or do you need to provide hides for each?

2) I have seen a couple of rack systems using tubs that seem to have a clear (plexiglass)? side for viewing. Does anyone use these? Pros/Cons? And would the use of these necessitate the need for hides? My wife hates the idea of having a pet and not be able to view it easily.

3) Are there rack systems that can grow with your snakes? (IE, the ability to up size the tubs as your snakes grow larger?)

4) Who would you recommend for a rack supplier? I need something functional, yet somewhat visually appealing for the misses.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I have some tubs that I can’t see into, and a couple that I can. I recommend getting vision tubs, with a clear view through the front. I’d much rather look at the snake without having to slide the whole tub out and disturb it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2018),the_rotten1 (12-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    If your wife’s really wants to see the animals, then I recommend getting a nice pvc display cage, it’s easier to keep warm and humid than a glass tank.

Thanks

Re: Rack system vs Glass Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    I have some tubs that I can’t see into, and a couple that I can. I recommend getting vision tubs, with a clear view through the front. I’d much rather look at the snake without having to slide the whole tub out and disturb it.
    Agreed. I will check out vision tubs

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    If your wife’s really wants to see the animals, then I recommend getting a nice pvc display cage, it’s easier to keep warm and humid than a glass tank.
    Exactly, but I want to make sure my boys are really into snakes before I spend that kind of money. Taking them to a show, January 6 in NH and both are excited so we'll see. Plus, for 3 snakes, the rack will take up less space and should make Mom (questionable about this snake thing) more happy in the beginning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    If you go to a show, you might want to check out vendors for racks. You get to see the racks/tubs in person and sometimes you get a special price. Not to mention, no wait time and shipping...

For young BP's or new acquisitions I absolutely still use hides. It makes them feel safe and gets them eating quicker. Some of my adults don't have hides, they have outgrown them. Plus my tubs are in enclosed racks which are black, so they offer a lot of privacy as is. The tubs themselves are see through, but not crystal clear. I can still peek in, though. Not like a display cage, of course..

A few rack builders offer racks that can accompany different sized tubs, so your snakes can grow into the larger ones. You can put in 2 smaller ones front to back, next to one another, on a shelf. Or a larger tub sideways into the same shelf. I have racks like that, made by Boaphile, called Rhino Raxx.

A lot of people like Reptile Basics or Animal Plastics.

Going to a show gives you a good chance to check them out and talk to the vendor, given its a big enough show that those vendors come to.
    Last edited by zina10; 12-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

I would certainly buy it from the show if it’s possible. You’ll save $100 in shipping plus you won’t have to wait up to 12 weeks for it to be built and shipped to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    If you go to a show, you might want to check out vendors for racks. You get to see the racks/tubs in person and sometimes you get a special price. Not to mention, no wait time and shipping...

For young BP's or new acquisitions I absolutely still use hides. It makes them feel safe and gets them eating quicker. Some of my adults don't have hides, they have outgrown them. Plus my tubs are in enclosed racks which are black, so they offer a lot of privacy as is. The tubs themselves are see through, but not crystal clear. I can still peek in, though. Not like a display cage, of course..

A few rack builders offer racks that can accompany different sized tubs, so your snakes can grow into the larger ones. You can put in 2 smaller ones front to back, next to one another, on a shelf. Or a larger tub sideways into the same shelf. I have racks like that, made by Boaphile, called Rhino Raxx.

A lot of people like Reptile Basics or Animal Plastics.

Going to a show gives you a good chance to check them out and talk to the vendor, given its a big enough show that those vendors come to.

I just don't know. You'd better come along with me to make sure I get the correct set up!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    I just don't know. You'd better come along with me to make sure I get the correct set up!
    I'm banned from going to shows !!!

LOL. I banned myself...

Would be to hard to go home empty handed.

I would go home with some geckos (thx Daksi and Deborah) and prolly some snakes. And I really shouldn't.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry