Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,943

3 members and 2,940 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I've taken the corn snake out in the yard in good weather. He seems to appreciate the opportunity to stretch, climb walls and tree trunks. I watch him like a hawk, however, and do NOTHING else when he is out cruising. Yeah, they are so fast. He is a light pink morph, so easier to find than most. I'd never risk that with the Sonoran Gopher...the Call of the Wild...she would take off at speed, and be gone in the blink of an eye.

I'd really like to make an out-door completely enclosed pen with hardware cloth for them to hang out in and get some real exercise. One alternative I thought of was a large tent, with the rain fly off. I actually bought a very large tent at the local thrift shop, and all the zippers were secure; it would have worked well. Unfortunately, it was missing missing a couple of those collapsible poles, and I didn't want to deal with the headache of trying to source some pricey new ones that were the correct length.
    Last edited by distaff; 12-09-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks

Re: opinions on taking your ball outside...

[QUOTE= or the printer on your desk...[/QUOTE]

I had this happen to me this summer....I have to say that was on the absolute BOTTOM of my list of worries when I got my first snake ahaha. She wasn't too far in though so no harm was done, but still...quite a shock and it took a good while for the adrenaline to go down! I definitely panicked.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to purpleroan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by purpleroan View Post
    I had this happen to me this summer....I have to say that was on the absolute BOTTOM of my list of worries when I got my first snake ahaha. She wasn't too far in though so no harm was done, but still...quite a shock and it took a good while for the adrenaline to go down! I definitely panicked.
    Awful place for a snake. Every time I sit at my desk holding a snake, that's where they try to go...into the printer (it appears to be a dark cave to them).
    They just can't help themselves...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

purpleroan (12-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

I took some of my snakes outside for the first time this past summer and it was only for a few minutes. I was really concerned about birds of prey and parasites but figured a little fresh air and sunshine couldn't be too bad for them. I'd like to think they appreciated the great outdoors and there's really nothing like seeing them in natural light.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    I take mine out in my backyard pretty regularly for photos if the weather is nice, and I live in Southern California... So you know it's not freezing here like in other parts of the country LOL. You won't get mites from nature if you live in the US- mites are only being spread within the reptile hobby/reptile shops. Just make sure there aren't pesticides or other chemicals.

For public places, never. It's stressful enough for the snakes to be out of their enclosure in improper temps/humidity for half an hour, nevermind an hour or hours of taking them out into public with other people and much activity. All it does is risk illness in the snake.

This reminds me, I find it embarrassing in general whenever I see people take their snakes out and walk around in public, if it's not a formal reptile program. It's almost always to show off, look cool, or in an attempt to "educate the public" when it's really unwanted or even illegal, and when it comes down to it, risking their own pet by exposing them to stress and illness... And it's almost always newbies who haven't owned snakes for long, and/or aren't educated enough about snakes and don't know why what they're doing is wrong.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-10-2018 at 01:01 AM.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2018),CALM Pythons (12-11-2018),Kira (12-10-2018),MissterDog (12-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    This reminds me, I find it embarrassing in general whenever I see people take their snakes out and walk around in public, if it's not a formal reptile program. It's almost always to show off, look cool, or in an attempt to "educate the public" when it's really unwanted or even illegal, and when it comes down to it, risking their own pet by exposing them to stress and illness... And it's almost always newbies who haven't owned snakes for long, and/or aren't educated enough about snakes and don't know why what they're doing is wrong.
    Yeah, that reminds me, there was a local guy that walked around main streets here in town with his large boa on his shoulders. Just showing off, I guess, & didn't know
    enough to be careful about the snake getting too warm. I found out later from a vet tech friend that his snake died of a heat stroke. It's lucky he didn't cause a car
    accident also, it's pretty distracting on a busy street, as he was when I saw him.

It's never cool to surprise people with a snake they may be terrified of at a place where they have no expectation to encounter it. There's better ways to educate people
    if that's the goal.

Thanks

OP.... I believe it is fine and I often take my snakes and lizards outside for fresh air and some sunshine. As long as your are careful and aware of the conditions at the time. I think some direct sunshine has to be beneficial.

I also question the logic behind talking reptiles out to "display" in public. Outside of a specific event where someone is trying to educate the public I see no reason that makes any sense. It can only be as others have said to show off or the even worse shock & awe affect. Frankly I am not even sure why so many seem to think they need to carry their pets around a Reptile Show. I do take any opportunity I get to try and educate the public on how interesting Reptiles can be but see no reason to parade around in public with any reptile or exotic pets.

Bill

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bagnew For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2018)

Thanks
    I always thought it was so cool to have a snake around your neck at the reptile show! Now that I have snakes I realize how Ridiculous that is. No way I’m taking my snakes to one of those shows. It’s not fair to the snake.

And the last show I went to a guy had a snake around his shoulders and it bit a lady that was just walking by in the face! So uncool. I’d be super mad at the pet owner for such lack of care

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-10-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danger noodles View Post
    I always thought it was so cool to have a snake around your neck at the reptile show! Now that I have snakes I realize how Ridiculous that is. No way I’m taking my snakes to one of those shows. It’s not fair to the snake.

And the last show I went to a guy had a snake around his shoulders and it bit a lady that was just walking by in the face! So uncool. I’d be super mad at the pet owner for such lack of care
    Not to mention that it's a great way to bring home mites & all...

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Mine love it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-17-2018),mandymg86 (12-18-2018),richardhind1972 (12-11-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast