Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,417

1 members and 1,416 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    By the way, I just want to check on my BP, who I had offered a rat to a few minutes ago, and he's trying to eat it sideways again!!

In contrast, I offered my young ratsnake two mice, and she managed to eat both of them in the time it's taken my BP to continue to wrestle with a small hopper rat that he should easily handle (I am giving him two-- using them up because snake is outgrowing them, but he has not even managed to eat the first one yet!). Maybe because they are so small he is confused??
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-14-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2018)

Thanks
    This is after several minutes of contorting himself and the rat. He started out with his mouth completely on its side, and he's now working his way closer to the nose of the rat. at least he's not a picky eater, he has always taken what is offered right away.

2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Ashley96 (12-19-2018),Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    If anyone is still reading this, he totally mangled it. It split open and the innards were everywhere.

I put him back in his enclosure and put the second rat at the entrance of his hide.

And I dumped the mangled one into the enclosure of our bigger BP and she ate it right up like a snickers bar.

I am, by the way, a vegetarian. I don't even like to cook chicken or beef for my partner.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-14-2018 at 01:12 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018),Godzilla78 (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    He's pretty & he's eating...what more do you want? Anyway, it's more interesting this way, that they aren't all the same, eh?

Rodents shouldn't typically split open unless they're a bit "ripe", as from being thawed too long or re-frozen; I guess the snakes
    aren't in quarantine from each other? Re-offering transfers germs from one snake to another, just remember that...a mouth in-
    fection that you haven't noticed yet, or a beginning RI. Not saying I never re-offer among my long time healthy residents...I do on
    occasion, but I rinse off the rodent first & normally it's when the snake hasn't bitten into it, only sniffed & said "not today".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-14-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks

Re: Ball Pythons are not very smart LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He's pretty & he's eating...what more do you want? Anyway, it's more interesting this way, that they aren't all the same, eh?
    LOL! And you know I must love my snakes a lot!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Thanks

Rodents shouldn't typically split open unless they're a bit "ripe", as from being thawed too long or re-frozen; I guess the snakes
    aren't in quarantine from each other? Re-offering transfers germs from one snake to another, just remember that...a mouth in-
    fection that you haven't noticed yet, or a beginning RI. Not saying I never re-offer among my long time healthy residents...I do on
    occasion, but I rinse off the rodent first & normally it's when the snake hasn't bitten into it, only sniffed & said "not today".
    All good things to know, thank you. I got these smaller rats with the snake (along with all its other supplies). Maybe they are a bit ripe, but also Spot was rubbing it all over the place and squeezing and unsqueezing it. Either way, I'm going to call it a day and go to therapy to recover from the grossness of it (just kidding!)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    So did Spot invite the rat at the 'door' in? Or just give up, after grossing you out? Sounds like he wants to eat, since he thrashed it so much, lol.
    You're a very brave vegetarian! hahahaha!

Thanks

So did Spot invite the rat at the 'door' in? Or just give up, after grossing you out? Sounds like he wants to eat, since he thrashed it so much, lol.
    You're a very brave vegetarian! hahahaha!
    He gave up and didn't eat it. In fact he went to his other hide. I know snakes don't show facial expressions very well, but I felt that he was very discouraged or embarrassed or something. I removed it and discarded it (shame to waste but oh well) and will try again in a couple of days. I still need to wash the dried rat innards off his face, but I am going to wait and see if he rubs it off by himself first.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-14-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    He gave up and didn't eat it. In fact he went to his other hide. I know snakes don't show facial expressions very well, but I felt that he was very discouraged or embarrassed or something. I removed it and discarded it (shame to waste but oh well) and will try again in a couple of days. I still need to wash the dried rat innards off his face, but I am going to wait and see if he rubs it off by himself first.
    Oh no, sorry. Silly snake...he obviously was interested...did you try wiggling it a little with tongs? I would have. (& maybe a touch of blow-dryer heat?) You could also
    "wash his face" with water sprayed, but he might rub it off on his own?

I know what you mean about "discouraged or embarrassed" but I think it has to do with them feeling confident, and also un-observed* (for their safety from predators).
    Ball pythons have so much going for them, but I wish they weren't so weird to feed. (*hindsight-feeding at night is usually best also)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-14-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks

Oh no, sorry. Silly snake...he obviously was interested...did you try wiggling it a little with tongs? I would have. (& maybe a touch of blow-dryer heat?) You could also
    "wash his face" with water sprayed, but he might rub it off?

I know what you mean about "discouraged or embarrassed" but I think it has to do with them feeling confident, and also un-observed* (for their safety from predators).
    Ball pythons have so much going for them, but I wish they weren't so weird to feed. (*hindsight-feeding at night is usually best also)
    I agree, and I think he just needs to pout for awhile and forget all about it. I did reheat it and dangle it and he looked at it but then didn't want it. That's when I left it at his door. I agree about night time being a better time to feed him.

He is a sweet snake and I am still getting to know him, but he's just very calm and most of the time is content sitting on my lap while I watch TV. Noodle would rather explore, and she's diurnal so she's my day companion, and Spot is my evening buddy. It's nice to have them both. I named him Spot after Data's cat from Star Trek.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-14-2018)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast