Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,501

0 members and 1,501 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tub "Tags"?

Thanks

Tub "Tags"?

Not sure where this thread belongs, so please feel free to move it if needed.

OK, question for you guys on marking tubs. As my collection has grown, I've found it necessary to keep spare clean tubs on hand. I move my snakes into a clean tub, place back in the rack, and clean out the old tubs.

This is a great system, but it means that my old method of simply writing the name and ID of the snake on the outside of the tub with dry erase markers isn't cutting it any more. This can become hard to erase off after sitting for a while and even needs to be wet scrubbed to get off..Not ideal when trying to quickly clean and stack tubs, etc.

I have seen many videos online of people using clear plastic name badge holders and clipping them onto tubs. I've also seen videos of people using larger plastic holders and velcroing them to the outside of the tub.

I was thinking about purchasing clear holders the clips, and some printable badges, but wasn't sure how well this system worked.

I am also looking for a good way to tag my AP enclosures. I don't want to write on the glass or do something that would permanantly be stuck to the glass, so if anyone has a system they use for hat, I'd love your feedback.

For those of your that use tub tags, I'd love to know what type of holder you use, what size name cards, how you attach them, etc. and how happy you are with the system you use in general. Also, what information you keep on the card (I'm assuming name, morph, sex, age, maybe weight?)

Here are links to the products I was looking into. Badge holder Clips Printable Badge Inserts

Thanks, as always, for your input and time!
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Tub "Tags"?

When I went looking for a way to do this, my criteria were that it be easy to update/change and not block my view of the animal, especially in tubs inside an enclosed rack.

So I found these at one of the office stores:

They are the size of return address labels, are erasable, and don't smear since you write on them with a sharpie. The sort of feel like stick on white-board, so you could probably use dry erase to decent effect, but I find that erasing the sharpie works 100%. I haven't tested for >3 months, but I doubt it would be harder after that, and it erases completely.

I use specially this sharpie size and eraser on them:

As for position, I put them on the shelf of the rack rather than on the tub. (Though I'm sure that would work fine too) The blank one was erased after having writing for a few weeks. I also tag the rack specifically with which probe it uses on my thermostat.

And I just stick them on the glass of AP cages where the substrate dam blocks view into the cage anyway.

Not a ton of room on them, but you could easily use 2 if you needed more space to write.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 12-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-07-2018),MR Snakes (12-08-2018)

Thanks

pretends2bnormal Thank you for sharing what you're using! I love the idea of using those to mark probe slots as well. I will have to look into these. I like that they are erasable. Have you noticed any wear where the tubs go over them, or does the writing still appear clear?
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by artgecko View Post
    pretends2bnormal Thank you for sharing what you're using! I love the idea of using those to mark probe slots as well. I will have to look into these. I like that they are erasable. Have you noticed any wear where the tubs go over them, or does the writing still appear clear?
    The tubs on the rack I have there has small feet on the corners, so I actually just placed them where the feet weren't. Theyre the Container Store tubs for the AP rack. So I have no wear at all, but for a flat bottomed tub it may be different and cause wear over time. I imagine it wouldn't be too bad, though. They are written on with Sharpie, but I don't have any experience with tubs rubbing on them to make a guess at how fast it might wear.

I doubt that tubs would damage the label itself any faster than they do the tape to hold down heat tape, so that's not likely to be a problem. And if it is, they're fairly inexpensive to buy if replacing became necessary a few years down the line.

Since I have 3 different thermostats, I just label them H2#_ (Herpstat 2), H4#_ (Herpstat 4), and RL2#_ (Herpstat 2 Red Line). With the blank for which probe. It saves space since the labels are small on my individual cages. I do tend to write it out fully if I use a dedicated label on a rack and I mark which tub shelf has the probe, in case I forget.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

artgecko (12-07-2018),Dianne (12-07-2018)

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Haha. Thats a good name. Mr. noodle

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VereMyth View Post

Haha. Thats a good name. Mr. noodle
    His full name is Mr. Danger Noodle.

He's dangerous, alright... he will crawl inside your sleeves and refuse to leave in the winter! Hahaha.

It was very silly back when he weighed 6g when we got him.

Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 12-07-2018 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Try using rubbing alcohol on the dry-erase marks that don't come off with normal cleaning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

artgecko (12-07-2018)

Thanks
    I recently bought the clip on badge holders from Amazon and I really like them. They're only like $15 for 50 holders that seal like zip-lock with clips, and they are easily moved from tub to tub as needed. And as for other enclosures, I just clip them to the exposed top track in the corner and they hang there pretty well.

Instead of using actual hard badges, I use the tub cards from the software HerperPro. It gives me an ID#, QR Code for the app, Name, and Picture (albeit a small one), all on the front, and I can print them on regular paper.

I'm still 50-50 on the software, I'm trying it out in demo mode before I make the decision on either that or Reptilescan.

But I will never go back to stickers or writing on tubs again. I never have to erase or rewrite anything. Just print the ID card on paper, insert into the badge holder, and clip wherever convenient. Super easy and it looks really nice too.

(unlike my chicken scratch handwriting) Lol.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

artgecko (12-08-2018),pretends2bnormal (12-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    I recently bought the clip on badge holders from Amazon and I really like them. They're only like $15 for 50 holders that seal like zip-lock with clips, and they are easily moved from tub to tub as needed. And as for other enclosures, I just clip them to the exposed top track in the corner and they hang there pretty well.

Instead of using actual hard badges, I use the tub cards from the software HerperPro. It gives me an ID#, QR Code for the app, Name, and Picture (albeit a small one), all on the front, and I can print them on regular paper.

I'm still 50-50 on the software, I'm trying it out in demo mode before I make the decision on either that or Reptilescan.

But I will never go back to stickers or writing on tubs again. I never have to erase or rewrite anything. Just print the ID card on paper, insert into the badge holder, and clip wherever convenient. Super easy and it looks really nice too.

(unlike my chicken scratch handwriting) Lol.
    That's sounds neat, I'll have to look into that if I get more racks. I like the personal touch of hand-written tags for my display cages, especially since they aren't going to be shuffled around like tubs in a rack can. I don't have so many snakes in racks yet that erasing is cumbersome for me. (And my printer is kind of a pain... it works sometimes, but other times I think it desires a sacrifice to the ink gods or something)

Thanks
    I did really like hand written tags when my wife was the one making them, but mine look horrible. And I don't have so many snakes that handwritten is impossible, but when I found that the tracking software I was testing could make tub tags? I definitely had to go that direction because the program did all the hard work for me and it actually looked nice.

And I know how printers can be, I finally upgraded to a laser printer last year and it was worth it, can't print in color on mine, but it just works and I can't beat it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast