Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,952

2 members and 2,950 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Super Dwarf Retics or Dwarf Burms

Which is better based on your personal experiences - Super dwarf Retics or Dwarf Burms?

I know that both sub-species/small island forms are roughly the same length as adults - ~5-8 feet(1.5-2.5 meters). With the dwarf burms generally being more robust build and heavier in weight.

But what is your preferences, based on their respective temperaments, ease to care for, and other pros and cons.

Thanks

Re: Super Dwarf Retics or Dwarf Burms

A dwarf burm is still a pretty rare snake, although they do exist. To my knowledge, Bob Clark was the first to work with them and quickly discovered that pure dwarf animals seemed to display a very hostile nature with lots of musking. Now, it's been a while since the original imports were brought in so you have normal blood mixed in to different extents. As far as care, it's the same (I keep my Burm at 80-92 gradient with a 60% humidity) with exception to prey size obviously.

Im of the opinion however that if you're going to dabble in large constrictors, just get a full blood, normal male. If a dwarf exists, go for it, but then when you add normal burm genetics back into the dwarf genetics as most of these animals are....you could still end up with an animal that is going to get pretty close in size to a normal burm anyways. Get the dwarf but also accept the possibility that you could have a 40-90lb animal on your hands even if you get a male. It's the same concept with retics....dwarf genetics definately keep sizes down, but you're not getting a species known to stay small regardless of dwarf percentage.

I guarantee you'll have Sauzo or someone else give you a further rundown on the dwarf retic side of your question shortly...I won't talk out my butt about them as I don't own one however lol.
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-07-2018 at 12:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Pretty sure the record size for a pure dwarf burm, female at that, was just over 8’. Doubtfully more than 20-30lbs at most if I had to guess.
    They do have a reputation for having a nasty temper from what I’ve read though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

No idea about burms as I have never owned one but my experience with a sd/d retic is they are work. Caesar is about 9 feet and a 37.5% sd 37.5% dwarf. He is a handful but in an inquisitive way. Never took a shot at me.

But imo retics are pretty neat and a very interactive snake. Only difference I see is the size caging and food between fullsize and sd retics. The price is a big difference though between sd and fullsize retics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Well - I have had a pair of F1 CB pure dwarf Burms (got them in fall of 2017, from Bob Clark). And I can say their reputation for a nasty, highly defensive temperament is well earned in my limited experience. My pair never calmed down, as they were always hissy, bite first kind of snakes. Unfortunately I lost them both to a URI. Which was not easy to diagnose with a highly defensive, hissing snake.

As for the information I've seen on dwarf burms - they max out at about 2.5 meters/8.2 feet for an adult female, and may weigh about 7-8.5 kg/15-19 lbs. While the F3 and later generations appear to be much calmer, and more easily tamed (similar to a normal burm) - those at present are only found in the UK and Europe. Here in the states (due to the Lacey Act) - it is unlikely to find any pure Dwarf burms beyond F2s if you are very lucky.

The 50% dwarf burms tend to be a bit larger, heavier and also calmer in temperament than pure dwarfs - generally speaking. A large 50% dwarf burm female - may hit 10 feet/3.05 meters, and 15 kg/33 lbs. I presently have a 2018 50% dwarf burm female - and although she was a bit defensive when I first got her. She has tamed down fairly nicely - to point where I can hold her for more than 5 minutes.

I also have a pair of 50% Kalatoa Super dwarf Retics. Their temperament is different from the dwarf burms, or even the 50% dwarf burm female. They are very chilled out, but curious snakes. I held them both for 15-20 minutes straight - with no signs of any defensiveness, or being hissy, ever. They do love to explore. I've also heard that most of the f3 and newer generations of pure Kalatoa and Madu super dwarf retics are like this as well. Much more like a large, tamed Colubrid, than a giant constrictor

Thanks

Wait.....so you've already owned both?

I guess I'm confused as to why you're asking for opinions and information on them then....?

Thanks

My experience is very limited with pure Dwarf Burms, 50% dwarf Burms, and 50% Super Dwarf retics.

I have no personal experience with pure Super Dwarf retics. Just the information I have seen on some YouTube videos. So I am basically wanting to compare, to other people more in depth experiences.

My pure Dwarf Burm pair - I only owned them for about 9 months or so before they got the URI.

My 50% Dwarf Burm female - I have only had for the past 3 months.

And my pair of 50% Super dwarf retics - I just got about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks
    In addition - having only 1 or 2 individuals for a fairly short amount of time is hardly representative of the species as a whole. So basically this is why I want to hear about other peoples experiences on these two species.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Super Dwarf Retics or Dwarf Burms

Quote Originally Posted by Krj2501 View Post
    In addition - having only 1 or 2 individuals for a fairly short amount of time is hardly representative of the species as a whole. So basically this is why I want to hear about other peoples experiences on these two species.
    I had a HD Hypo Burm and a SD Purple Albino Retic .. both for a year each , both got to just 6' and stopped growing ..

Both had similar temperaments .. very calm and friendly whilst handling yet both very , very inquisitive and both had fabulous ( scary) feeding responses ..

U.K. based though ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    I had a HD Hypo Burm and a SD Purple Albino Retic .. both for a year each , both got to just 6' and stopped growing ..
    How big/old were they when you first got them?

And what kind of feeding schedule did you have them on ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast