Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,125

1 members and 3,124 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

What on the world?!?

I come home from my friend house last night and go check on Mystic. As he was drinking out of his water bowl I noticed a spot on his head. I dont know what it is or how it got there. I dont know if it's a wound, scale rot, him going into shedding. Would anyone be so KIND as to providing some thoughtful insight on this. Pictures below.

*Please keep rude comments to yourself*

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Looks like he scraped his head somewhere -on something- in his cage. Snakes that push on the lid often get such scars, but consider (search for) anything
    else in his enclosure that he might have scraped his head on...might be a rough spot that you can sand smooth or remove. It doesn't look that fresh either-
    IF it was, I'd suggest using some antiseptic ointment on it (only the NON-pain relief kind), like original Neosporin. Once it is healed (as it appears) & isn't
    raw, ointment won't do anything for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (12-06-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like either left over shed or head running, it look nice and clean and not oozing so I would recommend to do NOTHING.

Keep in mind that antibiotic ointments are oil based and will loosen up scales so do not use if u necessary and if you do, only use for a very short amount of time.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-16-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: What on the world?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Looks like he scraped his head somewhere -on something- in his cage. Snakes that push on the lid often get such scars, but consider (search for) anything
    else in his enclosure that he might have scraped his head on...might be a rough spot that you can sand smooth or remove. It doesn't look that fresh either-
    IF it was, I'd suggest using some antiseptic ointment on it (only the NON-pain relief kind), like original Neosporin. Once it is healed (as it appears) & isn't
    raw, ointment won't do anything for it.
    I was thinking he might have scraped his head on his hide or something like that. Phew my worse fear was scale rot. But Iam check around his enclosure and hide for rough edges. Thanks for suggest and advice.

Thanks

Re: What on the world?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Looks like either left over shed or head running, it look nice and clean and not oozing so I would recommend to do NOTHING.

Keep in mind that antibiotic ointments are oil based and will loosen up scales so do not use if u necessary and if you do, only use for a very short amount of time.
    Thanks for your advice Deb. Its most likely head running since he hasnt gone into shed yet. I wont put anything on it. I believe it's in the healing process at them moment
    So Iam let it heal on it's own.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

dr del (12-16-2018)