Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,883

1 members and 2,882 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Possible Temp drop.

The electric/power in my house went off twice today whilst I was sleeping, and obviously the heat & lights would’ve gone off as well. A few hours for the first outage, and about five minutes on second outage. I don’t know how much the temp did drop so I just wanted to know:
    How long can BPs withstand low temps?

Thanks

Re: Possible Temp drop.

It depends what kind of "low temps" you're talking about. There's quite a difference between 60 degrees and 10 degrees.

Given the fact that your outage was only for a few hours, I wouldn't worry too much. However, the last thing you want to do is open your enclosure during such an outage. You retain heat by keeping everything closed. There are keepers who have backup generators for such an occasion and I have heard of people using hand warmer packs as well for such an event.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),MuicyJelon (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    It depends what kind of "low temps" you're talking about. There's quite a difference between 60 degrees and 10 degrees.

Given the fact that your outage was only for a few hours, I wouldn't worry too much. However, the last thing you want to do is open your enclosure during such an outage. You retain heat by keeping everything closed. There are keepers who have backup generators for such an occasion and I have heard of people using hand warmer packs as well for such an event.
    What about hot water bottles?

Don’t know wether I’d actually be able to use a generator. And don’t know about using hand warmers as would think there’s stuff in them that could cause harm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MuicyJelon For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018)

Thanks

How low of temps does your house drop to and how often?

Quote Originally Posted by MuicyJelon View Post
    And don’t know about using hand warmers as would think there’s stuff in them that could cause harm.

They seem to keep practically every snake warm that's shipped in cold weather that I've ever heard of ....never heard of an injury of any kind from one whatsoever.
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-06-2018 at 01:20 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

MuicyJelon (12-06-2018)

Thanks

& I wouldn’t now far it had dropped as I was sleeping. By the time I’d woke up everything was normal. (temp wise)

Thanks

How low of temps does your house drop to and how often?
    Doesn’t go low, in my room anyway as I’ve got an oil heater in there. But the weather is getting colder so it gets turned up.

Thanks

If it's not something you've actually monitored I don't know what to say.

Does this happen often?

If your power goes out temporarily and you run an oil heater (which stays warm for several hours after it shuts off) I'm not sure you need to be worried about anything. If your power goes out every other day for long periods of time, then I'd consider a generator. Information is everything here, if you want answers to a specific solution, you need to be specific about your problem.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    A few minutes or a few hours won't hurt anything. It takes a while for much to change (depending on how cold it is outside & how insulated your home is).

But...winter power outages can be deadly for our pets if you're not prepared. Ice or snowstorms can cause loss of power for days, even weeks, in some areas, & it's
    best to be prepared.

I went thru an extended power outage here back in 2009, "only" 4 days (that felt like an eternity) while many outside our town lost it for weeks, from a large ice storm
    that toppled trees, making road clearing difficult & greatly extending the time it took to repair downed power lines. Some people with many snakes "lost" them, either
    directly or from illness, because they had no generator back-up & no preparations.

Incidentally, the heat packs ('hand-warmers') are safe to use (nothing leaks, normally) & are similar to those used in shipping snakes. You need to make sure
    a snake doesn't contact them directly though, as they can get too hot. (wrap them)

I don't have a generator either, only a gas-log fireplace, & a gas-fired water heater (so I had hot water). I had on hand multiple ice chests. I bagged all my snakes
    individually (pillow cases work fine, or cloth 'snake bags'), then put 1 to 3 snakes in each ice chest (so they weren't crowded, depending on size & compatibility), along
    with 1 or 2 large jars filled w/ hot water (at the time I had no heat packs either). I had to replace the hot water every 8-9 hours to keep them a balmy 80-82*, but
    they were absolutely FINE thru the entire nightmare & stayed healthy. Heck, they didn't even seemed stressed about the whole thing, not like me. So I'd
    recommend you consider such a back-up plan...no way to know how long power may be out.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-06-2018 at 01:31 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

silverdreams (12-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post

.....A few minutes or a few hours won't hurt anything. It takes a while for much to change (depending on how cold it is outside & how insulated your home is).

...because they had no generator back-up & no preparations.

....Incidentally, the heat packs ('hand-warmers') are safe to use (nothing leaks, normally) & are similar to those used in shipping snakes.
    It's almost like someone said that already lol
    Last edited by KevinK; 12-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.

Thanks

If it's not something you've actually monitored I don't know what to say.

Does this happen often?

If your power goes out temporarily and you run an oil heater (which stays warm for several hours after it shuts off) I'm not sure you need to be worried about anything. If your power goes out every other day for long periods of time, then I'd consider a generator. Information is everything here, if you want answers to a specific solution, you need to be specific about your problem.
    No doesn’t go off often at all. But, it’s went off twice today & once yesterday. Which is not normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast