Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,789

5 members and 1,784 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Another great thread.....and very true!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Re: How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

I suffer with depression as well. The stress of the day disappears the moment I get home and check on my snakes and mice. When the depression first started about 10 years ago, alcohol was the temporary fix. I don’t touch the stuff now and haven’t for years. These days I come home and tend to my snakes, watch the mice scamper about their cage. That’s enough to bring some happiness to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-06-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    I’m so sorry to hear you, like so many others, suffer from depression. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I have always had pets as I feel they really help with my anxiety/depression. It’s such an amazing feeling to have another being to care for and love on.

Unrelated to snakes, but have you looked into CBD oil? I’m not going to go into it (but feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it), but it helps me immensely. I’m also a professional, and my job can be stressful, but it really helps to calm me. Just thought I’d mention it in the event you haven’t heard of it. Amazing stuff.

I'm also sorry to hear you struggle. I wish more people would talk about it and not feel ashamed or embarrassed. So thank you. :-)

I have seen CBD and related products help so many people, but they are not for me. For one I'd probably get fired from my job LOL I am a nurse. I also have never liked to take things that make me feel "altered" in any way, it just makes me feel I'm losing control. I don't even drink or take cold meds unless I really have to (the cold meds, not the drinking LOL). I do take a mild anti-depressant which works pretty well, supplemented with Acetyl L-Carnitine, exercise, making absolutely sure I go to bed on time, and remembering to be thankful.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),Jessibelle (12-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I have depression and anxiety issues and am an alcoholic and drug addict who will be celebrating 6 years clean and sober next week!!

I unfortunately rehomed all my animals years ago when I was unable to care for them. I could barely keep myself alive, let alone my animals. That was one of the VERY few smart things I did in 15 years...

After getting clean and sober and starting to get settled into my new life I realized I needed something to keep my mind busy and decided to get a fish tank. Then I started getting back into snakes once my girlfriend agreed to me having a snake in the house.

I love my fish, don't get me wrong, but my snakes are my "medicine" most days. There's just something about them that makes me feel peaceful and tranquil. When one of the snakes is out I just generally feel much more relaxed and calm. The way they move, the mystique they have about them, the way they feel...it fascinates me.

I used to say "the only thing better than drugs is more drugs"...now I say "the only thing better than snakes is more snakes"!!!! Hahahaha!!

OP, THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!

Awesome!! Congrats on 6 years of sobriety! And I agree that was a very selfless thing to to think of your pets and rehome them, even in the midst of not being able to care for yourself. Sounds like you have a great heart!

My partner is also a recovering alcoholic (2+years) and I know it's a tough battle and it's one you have to keep on track with every day.

I really think there is something about the snakes that makes them so therapeutic. I wish people weren't as scared of them and gave them a chance.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jbabycsx View Post
    I suffer with depression as well. The stress of the day disappears the moment I get home and check on my snakes and mice. When the depression first started about 10 years ago, alcohol was the temporary fix. I don’t touch the stuff now and haven’t for years. These days I come home and tend to my snakes, watch the mice scamper about their cage. That’s enough to bring some happiness to me.

That's a happy picture to visualize! :-) Yeah alcohol is so dangerous to us folks who suffer from melancholy. I wish there was not such a stigma to getting help.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-06-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-08-2018),Jbabycsx (12-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I'm also sorry to hear you struggle. I wish more people would talk about it and not feel ashamed or embarrassed. So thank you. :-)

I have seen CBD and related products help so many people, but they are not for me. For one I'd probably get fired from my job LOL I am a nurse. I also have never liked to take things that make me feel "altered" in any way, it just makes me feel I'm losing control. I don't even drink or take cold meds unless I really have to (the cold meds, not the drinking LOL). I do take a mild anti-depressant which works pretty well, supplemented with Acetyl L-Carnitine, exercise, making absolutely sure I go to bed on time, and remembering to be thankful.
    Cannabidiol (CBD) oil does not have make you high or feel altered at all. There are trace amounts of THC (the mind altering substance contained in marijuana) in CBD oil, so it will not get you high or make you feel altered. It’s legal in every state and federally. This is a good article, if you’re interested. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php

I’m the same way about medication and only take ibuprofen if I’m in serious pain. I used to be on a lot of drugs for my depression and anxiety, but I wanted to get off of it and not be reliant on drugs anymore. I find that the CBD helps a lot so far!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-08-2018),FollowTheSun (12-08-2018),tttaylorrr (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

I have depression and anxiety issues and am an alcoholic and drug addict who will be celebrating 6 years clean and sober next week!!

I...................
    Congrats Craig! That is quite an accomplishment.

Stay in the fight.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-08-2018),FollowTheSun (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

Many years ago my daughter had extreme anxiety, which is why we got a Ball Python.

I had no idea on the real impact these gentle creatures made until my daughter left home and I was stuck with the care of the snake; the peacefulness and tranquility, so awesome. Then I became addicted!

Elvira, 2001 Normal
    Last edited by Reinz; 12-08-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-08-2018),the_rotten1 (12-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jessibelle View Post
    Cannabidiol (CBD) oil does not have make you high or feel altered at all. There are trace amounts of THC (the mind altering substance contained in marijuana) in CBD oil, so it will not get you high or make you feel altered. It’s legal in every state and federally. This is a good article, if you’re interested. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317221.php

I’m the same way about medication and only take ibuprofen if I’m in serious pain. I used to be on a lot of drugs for my depression and anxiety, but I wanted to get off of it and not be reliant on drugs anymore. I find that the CBD helps a lot so far!

Thanks for the info and link! I would still probably be fired for taking it, because they are very strict where I work (hospice). I would be willing to try it sometime, based on what you said (about not feeling high or altered) but would definitely have to do more homework and clear it with work. I'm glad you found something that works well for you, and I'm glad the marijuana is availabe for my patients. It seems to help them. Even though it's legal to that that too, with a medical card, we are still not allowed to administer it to patients. We do allow the patients or families to give it to them on our units, though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2018),Jessibelle (12-08-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I unfortunately rehomed all my animals years ago when I was unable to care for them. I could barely keep myself alive, let alone my animals. That was one of the VERY few smart things I did in 15 years...

After getting clean and sober and starting to get settled into my new life I realized I needed something to keep my mind busy and decided to get a fish tank. Then I started getting back into snakes once my girlfriend agreed to me having a snake in the house.

I love my fish, don't get me wrong, but my snakes are my "medicine" most days. There's just something about them that makes me feel peaceful and tranquil. When one of the snakes is out I just generally feel much more relaxed and calm. The way they move, the mystique they have about them, the way they feel...it fascinates me.

I used to say "the only thing better than drugs is more drugs"...now I say "the only thing better than snakes is more snakes"!!!! Hahahaha!!

OP, THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!
    Congrats!
    Fish and snakes just seem to go together.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-08-2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast