Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 902

2 members and 900 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Coming back from Iraq in 2006 and then dealing with the transition from military life to civilian life wasn’t an easy task for me. I found myself drinking (never did drugs) a lot more and ended up talking to my psychologist and psychiatrist and found myself with depression and anxiety with adjustment disorder. Years later I divorced my wife of 4 years and came out of the closet...lol yea scariest time of my life...even Iraq was better then this. And then right back into an abusive relationship that I was blindly used for my money and finical stability for 3 years....I lost everything! Two appts, 3 cars, and myself......I finally broke away and moved back with Mom and dad was still having mental problems. I ended up one night going on a bender....black out drunk, the only thing I remember was the airbag hitting my face. I had totaled two cars because I ran a red light. It still haunts me 8 years later. And I can admit I have a problem but it’s a demon that it’s my own. I still fight the depression and I tell you what...my Ramsey was the first thanks to my amazing husband and I go into my reptile room now and fall in love with them like it was the first day. They are my anxiety relief and they are my medicine. And I can’t thank my husband enough for that! Just wanted to share this because I feel comfortable. Yes I am a combat US Marine because I did bring up Iraq. And tbh there are times I wish I was back in because I still to this day hate civilian life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've "known" you for a few years on the forum, but had never heard you share that.

Thanks for sharing. And a huge thanks for your service!!

Keep your head held high, my friend. You've shown extreme strength and courage as a marine, and by revealing your "true" self in a society that still ignorantly and unfairly makes that difficult beyond my own imagination.

I salute you, applaud you, and offer you my utmost respect. I'd shake your hand and give you a big hug if I could, but its a long way to FL, hahaha. But seriously, if you ever need an ear, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks again!!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Aerries (12-11-2018),Bogertophis (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    Coming back from Iraq in 2006 and then dealing with the transition from military life to civilian life wasn’t an easy task for me. I found myself drinking (never did drugs) a lot more and ended up talking to my psychologist and psychiatrist and found myself with depression and anxiety with adjustment disorder. Years later I divorced my wife of 4 years and came out of the closet...lol yea scariest time of my life...even Iraq was better then this. And then right back into an abusive relationship that I was blindly used for my money and finical stability for 3 years....I lost everything! Two appts, 3 cars, and myself......I finally broke away and moved back with Mom and dad was still having mental problems. I ended up one night going on a bender....black out drunk, the only thing I remember was the airbag hitting my face. I had totaled two cars because I ran a red light. It still haunts me 8 years later. And I can admit I have a problem but it’s a demon that it’s my own. I still fight the depression and I tell you what...my Ramsey was the first thanks to my amazing husband and I go into my reptile room now and fall in love with them like it was the first day. They are my anxiety relief and they are my medicine. And I can’t thank my husband enough for that! Just wanted to share this because I feel comfortable. Yes I am a combat US Marine because I did bring up Iraq. And tbh there are times I wish I was back in because I still to this day hate civilian life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It sounds like it's been a long soul-searching journey for you. You, sir, are a national treasure and deserve the utmost recognition for that. You have friends here. My partner is a recovering alcoholic, my two children are both gay (and thanks you people like you paving the way, they can marry whomever they choose someday), and my grandfather is a Marine WW2 and Korean War (Chosin Reservoir) veteran. What you have been through is remarkable, both military and state side. Thank you for telling your story. I think struggles with mental health issues are far more common than people think, and every time one of us tells our story it makes it okay for others to accept their own mental health issues, or for them to accept those of a loved one. It's time to have more open conversations about this. Thank you.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Aerries (12-11-2018),Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I suffer from depression and anxiety, with anxiety being a much bigger issue for me.

I find the snakes, and reptiles in general, cathartic for me in two main ways.

First, they rely on me for everything. I am responsible for creating a stable and appropriate environment for them. I am responsible for providing food and water. Ultimately I am responsible for keeping them healthy and caring for them if either I fail to do that and they become ill, or on the off chance they become ill anyway, or GET LOST BY FEDEX IN INDY!!!!!!!! and I have to nurse them back to health for two months while they are near death and I am a nervous wreck (Yafe!!!!). Anyway, I digressed.

For some people, this is a G-D complex thing, but for me, not at all. For me it's a proud papa thing. Modern technology (great thermostats, heating elements, modern tank materials and manufacturing techniques, etc) have made creating a proper environment easy (once you learn what "proper is for each animal/species, etc, but that's part fo the fun of keeping multiple species). My Boaphile Plastics tanks have made keeping 12 reptiles easier than it used to be to keep 3. Anyway, for me it's about taking care of them. Give them what they need to thrive. I take pride in that.

A lot of being depressed and anxious is feeling out of control and helpless. Caring for my pets, especially the reptiles (much simpler than the dogs - they have their own agenda and having 5 means they are pack, etc), gives me both a sense of purpose and control. It gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning even when I don't feel like it. Every day I get out of bed and check temps, general tank status, etc. It takes 3 minutes. If tanks need cleanup, etc. I usually do that later in the day when I can devote 20-30 minutes to it and to spending a little time with the crew as well.

The caring for them gives me the purpose. The being able to create the right environment for them, keep them healthy, keep them happy, etc. gives me a sense of control. The world is crazy, it's often out of control, there are many external factors that there is nothing I can do about. Even with my health situation, and my kidney transplant, and my one kidney being stable, but not at an ideal level, and the ancillary issues, and the meds, etc. Lots I can't control. However, very little time and very little effort equals 12 happy and healthy reptiles. That makes me feel that at least some things are very much, even if not 100%, in my control.

All of the above helps the anxiety and depression.

Secondly, the interaction(s) with the reptiles definitely helps to calm and ground me.

They set petting a dog or cat lowers blood pressure. I agree and I do that. However, I get the same feeling and body response from holding a snake or lizard, etc. The way a snake, especially, moves through my hands, around my shoulders, etc. is very calming for me. Additionally, it's very cathartic and helps clear my mind. I like activities that when I am doing them, it's difficult to think about other things, or alternatively, easy to think about what you are doing.

When I interact with the animals, I am focused on them and not on other things that I am anxious about or worried about or depressed about. In all those ways, they help me clear my mind and often break the cycle of anxiety and perpetuation that my mind is in.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),Dianne (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Just want to point out something for those of you with both anxiety and depression; some antidepressants can cause anxiety. Sometimes the anxiety tapers off, sometimes not. This is common knowledge for psychiatrists, but many General Practitioners overlook it.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

Secondly, the interaction(s) with the reptiles definitely helps to calm and ground me.

They set petting a dog or cat lowers blood pressure. I agree and I do that. However, I get the same feeling and body response from holding a snake or lizard, etc. The way a snake, especially, moves through my hands, around my shoulders, etc. is very calming for me. Additionally, it's very cathartic and helps clear my mind. I like activities that when I am doing them, it's difficult to think about other things, or alternatively, easy to think about what you are doing.

When I interact with the animals, I am focused on them and not on other things that I am anxious about or worried about or depressed about. In all those ways, they help me clear my mind and often break the cycle of anxiety and perpetuation that my mind is in.
    Yes, exactly!!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I have depression and anxiety issues and am an alcoholic and drug addict who will be celebrating 6 years clean and sober next week!!

I unfortunately rehomed all my animals years ago when I was unable to care for them. I could barely keep myself alive, let alone my animals. That was one of the VERY few smart things I did in 15 years...

After getting clean and sober and starting to get settled into my new life I realized I needed something to keep my mind busy and decided to get a fish tank. Then I started getting back into snakes once my girlfriend agreed to me having a snake in the house.

I love my fish, don't get me wrong, but my snakes are my "medicine" most days. There's just something about them that makes me feel peaceful and tranquil. When one of the snakes is out I just generally feel much more relaxed and calm. The way they move, the mystique they have about them, the way they feel...it fascinates me.

I used to say "the only thing better than drugs is more drugs"...now I say "the only thing better than snakes is more snakes"!!!! Hahahaha!!

OP, THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!
    Yes my BP relaxes my when I hold him
    I have to confess....In my mind I always thought snakes were not very smart. I was wrong! He helps when I have bad days.
    I recently started having anxiety like I have never experienced before and it SUCKS.
    Last edited by Jellybeans; 12-11-2018 at 07:00 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jellybeans For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybeans View Post
    Yes my BP relaxes my when I hold him
    I have to confess....In my mind I always thought snakes were not very smart. I was wrong! He helps when I have bad days.
    I recently started having anxiety like I have never experienced before and it SUCKS.
    Are you in therapy? Cognitive behavioral therapy has helped me a LOT with anxiety and depression. Hope the anxiety gets better soon. Exercise helps with that, too. I don't think some things really ever go away or are cured, but at least they can be managed and coped with so we can put those in the background and live our lives.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-11-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Kind of just about pets helping with depression/anxiety:

I had a major depressive episode a few years ago and honestly went bat---- insane on my friends to top it off, and had a very skewed perception of my behavior and of other people. That was when I already had three snakes and unfortunately, for me personally, they didn't help a whole lot. But I still took care of them and found it comforting when I did.

What really helped me significantly (and that I now wouldn't consider myself with depression at all) was actually 1. moving back to my family's house instead of living alone, and 2. getting a large, active dog for myself (though I got her as a puppy, even better LOL). The dog made a HUGE difference, a working line german shepherd, because she requires so much of my time and thought and dedication, unlike my snakes or other pets. We train for dog sports and competitive obedience, so raising her was practically a full-time job. The dog puts me on clear daily schedule of when to take her out, when to train her, when to exercise her, socialize her, and when to put her to bed- and this is nearly every single day without a break, there is no slacking. And of course, she's attached to me and shows the emotional intuitiveness and intelligence that reptiles can't show. I work from home, so she is with me literally 24/7.

I doubt it's the same for everyone since I know the amount of "work" a large active dog requires daily actually stresses some people out instead of helping, but I concluded it's really one of my foundations for a happy life.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 12-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-12-2018),Dianne (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    My little Crowley helps wonders for my depression. Anytime I have a long stressful day, he comes out that night to cheer me up. He's just such a perfect pet and he makes me happy everyday I see him.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Valyndris For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Thanks
    I struggle mightily with depression and anxiety. Snakes are 100% my outlet. They are the only thing in the world that make me forget completely about anything negative going on on the other side of the door of the reptile room. Snakes are miracle workers, they don't give an emotional response, but they are captivating and inquisitive and it just makes everything else melt away. I thank my lucky stars every day that I discovered this hobby and it has really saved me more times than I can count. Snake therapy is soooooo real!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cam the Snake Man For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (12-12-2018),FollowTheSun (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),Reinz (12-11-2018)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234