Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,035

2 members and 2,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

I struggle with depression, and especially on mornings like this when my partner and kids have left the house, and I have a day off after a tough day at work yesterday (I'm a nurse). This little snake gives me something to look forward to each day. She hangs out in my robe pocket while I make coffee, then she sits in my hand while I drink it until she gets tired of that, and then she hangs out in my sleeve. She's so gentle and cute and playful-- and most of the time she's very calm! I never thought I'd bond with a snake, and I never thought a snake would bond with me. :-)

I discovered the snake-therapy thing when my daughter bought a nearly full grown BP. She happens to be very snappy and bitey-- I don't think she was handled much before we got her. But what started as being part of the family effort to hold her and tame her turned into therapy for me! I realized that the gentle pressure of squeezing on my arms was very calming, similar to a weighted blanket effect. And they are so gentle as they slither, and "taste test" with their tongues. And you have to be calm so they stay calm.

So after that snake became tame and my daughter was bonded with her and feeling possessive, I bought Noodle my albino ratsnake in May when she was very tiny. Last month I acquired Spot, a banana BP because I realized that they have different ways that they move and grip. While Noodle is very gentle, Spot and our other BP have a firmer squeeze. They also have a nice heavy weight and are happy to sit in my lap longer than Noodle, and I will sit and knit and watch TV with Spot in my lap. :-)

When my daughter, who is 14 and has a connective tissue disorder, endured her third surgery this summer, the first "person" she would let touch her post-surgical knee was her snake. The snake was so gentle.

Anyway, I am sure I am not alone in my depression, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has discovered "snake therapy." I would love to talk about this with others. :-)
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),Craiga 01453 (12-05-2018),cron14 (12-05-2018),Dianne (12-05-2018),Ditto (12-11-2018),Godzilla78 (12-08-2018),Gottalovett (12-11-2018),jmcrook (12-05-2018),Jus1More (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018),richardhind1972 (12-05-2018),RickyNY (12-05-2018),zina10 (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: How my snake helps with my depression-- anyone else have depression?

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    ... And you have to be calm so they stay calm....
    I've kept snakes for many years, starting when I had a very stressful career. While I don't have depression issues, I've always noticed the very same thing! Most pets
    have therapeutic benefits, like lowering blood pressure, that the medical community has acknowledged for years. But in working with snakes, since they're not domestic
    or inclined to trust humans, some of them need more help than others. I found they have that effect on me too...isn't it great? And in giving them needed medical
    care, when I am so focused on helping them, they somehow seem to pick up on that & don't fight or bite. It can feel a bit magical at times...as if we're thinking with one
    mind. I've even meditated while handling a nervous snake with great results...again, the calming effect gets their trust, but it's truly a "win-win".

You are the first person I've come across that has mentioned this...I'm so glad you brought it up.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-05-2018),Ditto (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-05-2018),Jus1More (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018),richardhind1972 (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    I agree with you, snakes calm me down and have a soothing effect on me... while other pets stress me out, like my wife's dog
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),FollowTheSun (12-05-2018),Jus1More (12-05-2018),richardhind1972 (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I've kept snakes for many years, starting when I had a very stressful career. While I don't have depression issues, I've always noticed the very same thing! Most pets
    have therapeutic benefits, like lowering blood pressure, that the medical community has acknowledged for years. But in working with snakes, since they're not domestic
    or inclined to trust humans, some of them need more help than others. I found they have that effect on me too...isn't it great? And in giving them needed medical
    care, when I am so focused on helping them, they somehow seem to pick up on that & don't fight or bite. It can feel a bit magical at times...as if we're thinking with one
    mind. I've even meditated while handling a nervous snake with great results...again, the calming effect gets their trust, but it's truly a "win-win".

You are the first person I've come across that has mentioned this...I'm so glad you brought it up.
    What you say about snakes seeming to pick up on us helping them-- so true! When my daughter's BP had her first shed with us it was awful. She had not been kept in the best conditions at all. She had like a million pieces stuck on her and eye caps stuck on, etc. We had to soak her and then rub the skin off with warm washcloths. Even though she was at that time an extremely bitey snake (like, would randomly just bite and draw blood!), she calmed down and let us help her. It was truly magical. Recently she had another shed where a large strip was stuck on the top of her neck. Again she calmed and let my daughter help her get that off. And the snake has also learned to trust and is much less bitey now and more of a nice pleasant pet.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Some sort of inexplicable cosmic connection....they seem to work well as a conduit for draining away negative energy. (Not sure what they do with it - doesn't seem to bother them.)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),FollowTheSun (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    My gut feeling says it has something to do with our mind-body connection...that when our thoughts are purely good & helpful intentions, that it comes
    across to animals in the way we touch them. And when we subliminally communicate that sense of safety, we also receive it back. I just know it's cool.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-05-2018 at 08:45 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Great topic! While I don’t have depression issues, I do have job related stress. Handling the snakes is calming. You have to be slow and easy with them, and as they gently move around it is very soothing, so you both end up calm. I like to watch their movements and feel them crawl around, plus the texture of their scales is cool. Some of my young bp’s feel almost silky, while the larger snakes feel kind of slick, and then there’s my Solomon Island ground boa who has keeled scales and is almost like sandpaper.

I found the same thing with the cats I used to have, both older and happy to cuddle, so very relaxing to pet. Plus their warmth and purring was soothing. My brother’s dog on the other hand keeps me on my toes. He’s a cute teacup poodle (rescue). He’ll mostly sit by you for pets until he gets bored, then you constantly have to watch him to make sure he doesn’t run amok and pee on anything. Not relaxing with whole house carpeting.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018),Jus1More (12-05-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I totally agree with everyone on this topic. I definitely feel at ease when handling my snakes, especially my boa's. All of my stress from the day seems to just melt away and I am at a relaxed state of mind. And my snakes since that calmness as well because they are all chill as well.... Its an awesome feeling!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I struggle with depression, and especially on mornings like this when my partner and kids have left the house, and I have a day off after a tough day at work yesterday (I'm a nurse). This little snake gives me something to look forward to each day. She hangs out in my robe pocket while I make coffee, then she sits in my hand while I drink it until she gets tired of that, and then she hangs out in my sleeve. She's so gentle and cute and playful-- and most of the time she's very calm! I never thought I'd bond with a snake, and I never thought a snake would bond with me. :-)

I discovered the snake-therapy thing when my daughter bought a nearly full grown BP. She happens to be very snappy and bitey-- I don't think she was handled much before we got her. But what started as being part of the family effort to hold her and tame her turned into therapy for me! I realized that the gentle pressure of squeezing on my arms was very calming, similar to a weighted blanket effect. And they are so gentle as they slither, and "taste test" with their tongues. And you have to be calm so they stay calm.

So after that snake became tame and my daughter was bonded with her and feeling possessive, I bought Noodle my albino ratsnake in May when she was very tiny. Last month I acquired Spot, a banana BP because I realized that they have different ways that they move and grip. While Noodle is very gentle, Spot and our other BP have a firmer squeeze. They also have a nice heavy weight and are happy to sit in my lap longer than Noodle, and I will sit and knit and watch TV with Spot in my lap. :-)

When my daughter, who is 14 and has a connective tissue disorder, endured her third surgery this summer, the first "person" she would let touch her post-surgical knee was her snake. The snake was so gentle.

Anyway, I am sure I am not alone in my depression, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has discovered "snake therapy." I would love to talk about this with others. :-)
    I’m so sorry to hear you, like so many others, suffer from depression. I also suffer from depression and anxiety. I have always had pets as I feel they really help with my anxiety/depression. It’s such an amazing feeling to have another being to care for and love on.

Unrelated to snakes, but have you looked into CBD oil? I’m not going to go into it (but feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it), but it helps me immensely. I’m also a professional, and my job can be stressful, but it really helps to calm me. Just thought I’d mention it in the event you haven’t heard of it. Amazing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018),MR Snakes (12-05-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I have depression and anxiety issues and am an alcoholic and drug addict who will be celebrating 6 years clean and sober next week!!

I unfortunately rehomed all my animals years ago when I was unable to care for them. I could barely keep myself alive, let alone my animals. That was one of the VERY few smart things I did in 15 years...

After getting clean and sober and starting to get settled into my new life I realized I needed something to keep my mind busy and decided to get a fish tank. Then I started getting back into snakes once my girlfriend agreed to me having a snake in the house.

I love my fish, don't get me wrong, but my snakes are my "medicine" most days. There's just something about them that makes me feel peaceful and tranquil. When one of the snakes is out I just generally feel much more relaxed and calm. The way they move, the mystique they have about them, the way they feel...it fascinates me.

I used to say "the only thing better than drugs is more drugs"...now I say "the only thing better than snakes is more snakes"!!!! Hahahaha!!

OP, THANKS FOR STARTING THIS THREAD!!
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 12-05-2018 at 10:41 PM.

20. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Alex Lehner (12-05-2018),Bogertophis (12-05-2018),cron14 (12-05-2018),Danger noodles (12-05-2018),Ditto (12-11-2018),FollowTheSun (12-06-2018),Jbabycsx (12-05-2018),jmcrook (12-06-2018),Reinz (12-08-2018),the_rotten1 (12-09-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast