Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,925

1 members and 2,924 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: BP always hangs out in the open

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Please make the temp a gun a top priority, you really don't know what your temps are without it.

Secondly, spraying cool water from your tap water can be catastrophic, and even room temp water can be very bad.

When misted, the water drops temp. Let's say, worst case scenario, the 70F room temp water stays 70F. You have an 80F ambient temp in the tank that all of a sudden is hit with 70F water. Instant 10F temp drop. To a reptile, that's huge and if that happens reguarly, that can easily cause illness and be as bad, if not worse, than the low humidity.

Always fill the water bottle fresh with hot tap water 100F+, as hot as your tap will make it up to 120F or so (mine comes out about 110-115F). When I mist, it drops immediately to about 78-80F. However, that's much less of shock to the tank than 70F or lower. I also have large tanks that hold humidity well, so I don't spray much and I don't have to spray on the animal.

If the animal is out when I spray, I never spray directly, but spray away from them, and if a little mist inadvertently touches them, it's not a big deal.

Remember, you also don't want to drench your tank, just moisten it a little.

If it's a screen top, which it sounds like it is, and you are using a CHE, cover the top with tin foil, with a cut out for the CHE. This will not only keep humidity in, but heat in as well and the CHE will work less hard, also drying the tank out less.

Additionally, what substrate are you using? That can make a difference as well.

Finally, I would figure out temps and what's going on with him first, before you try to move him.
    I would never fill a spray bottle with 120 degree water, but thats just me...
    1.0 Spider Ball
    Albino Ball
    Cinnamon Mojav​e Ball
    1.0 Red Blood '18

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockonjp76 For This Useful Post:

dadofsix (12-05-2018),MissterDog (12-05-2018)

Thanks

Yeah, I'm of the same mind on that. I would think that getting sprayed with water that hot could shock a snake just as much as cool water. JMHO

<><Peace
    Last edited by dadofsix; 12-05-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dadofsix For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-05-2018)

Thanks

I guess warm to the touch would be a safe bet....

Thanks

I mean, these critters come from Africa. I'm betting the rain that falls in their respective habitats feels cool to them if they're exposed to the rain as it's falling. I would think that water that is warmed to room temperature would be fine to use in the mister.

Maybe it's time for another poll to see how cool or how warm folks get the water before they put it into their mister. lol

<><Peace
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Try hitting the water with a temp gun as it comes out of the mister, or right when it hits the wall of the enclosure, or the substrate. It's not 120F, far from it.

When the water comes out, misted, it drops in temp instantly and dramatically.

However, I am not one to tell people what to do. I can only give my suggestions.

Please, if you have evidence to oppose what I am saying, I would like to see it, and if you can prove me wrong, will be the first to admit it, and happily.

I don't want to hurt my animals, or encourage people to hurt theirs, believe me. That's the last thing I want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    If the animal is out when I spray, I never spray directly, but spray away from them, and if a little mist inadvertently touches them, it's not a big deal.
    I agree with David that you shouldn’t directly spray the snake, particularly if you are using hot tap water. When I was spraying the cages, most of my snakes did not care to get caught in the spray by evidence of shrugging where the spray may have landed and moving away. That said, some may like it.

I use warm water when I soak towels or sphagnum moss for a humid hide. Warm enough that I would take a bath in it. Typically by the time I’ve wrung out the excess moisture it has lost some of the heat. By the time I’ve added it to the container and arranged it, then put it in the cage, it is just barely warm to the touch. My theory for using warm water, it won’t need to heat up to ambient cage temps so it won’t be a cold spot. They can use it immediately.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-06-2018)

Thanks

I do the same thing. Not knowing any better I was misting with cool water til I noticed how fast and quick the temp dropped. It would take a solid couple hours to get back up to acceptable levels. If I fill the bottle with hot water and spray it all over my hand it barely feels like bath water even if I pump it out as fast as I can spray it. I do make sure I don't spray her directly too just to err on the side of caution. It still drops pretty good but not nearly as far. Some variables there too. Some folks like their water heaters on the burn unit setting.

Thanks
    Well, Levi ate last night, so that's a good sign! I thought the pup was even a little bit big for him, but he got it down okay. After he ate we put him back in the tank and covered him with his hide in the usual spot and he's stayed in there just fine. (To feed, we put him in a separate container on top of my daughter's PET mouse cage so the scents get his juices flowing. Works well!) We'll see how he acts the next couple days. I hope he stays put and digests comfortably.

My hubby picked up a temp gun at Home Depot - Ryobi, I think? Well, reading the instructions it says it can have a variance of +/- 5 degrees Celsius...not sure what that translates to in Fahrenheit, but that doesn't seem to be a very reliable tool with that much variance. Do we need a different brand?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blam18 View Post
    My hubby picked up a temp gun at Home Depot - Ryobi, I think? Well, reading the instructions it says it can have a variance of +/- 5 degrees Celsius...not sure what that translates to in Fahrenheit, but that doesn't seem to be a very reliable tool with that much variance. Do we need a different brand?
    I have the same one. That variance is worst case. Under the conditions you are going to use it, you can assume it to be accurate. Any temp gun in this price range will have the same variance. To narrow it down you'd need to spend serious money and get a pro-grade piece of equipment.

In other words, don't worry.
    \m/

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blam18 View Post
    Well, Levi ate last night, so that's a good sign! I thought the pup was even a little bit big for him, but he got it down okay. After he ate we put him back in the tank and covered him with his hide in the usual spot and he's stayed in there just fine. (To feed, we put him in a separate container on top of my daughter's PET mouse cage so the scents get his juices flowing. Works well!) We'll see how he acts the next couple days. I hope he stays put and digests comfortably.

I'm glad to hear he ate, however, I would strongly advise feeding him inside his enclosure.
    Feeding in a seperate feeding tub is old school and proven counter productive over time.
    When using a feeding tub you:
    A) run a higher risk of refusal due to the snake having to be moved. Moving = stress
    B) run the risk of regurgitation since the animal has to be moved AGAIN after eating. Moving = stress
    C) drastically INCREASE your chance if being bitten. A snake remains in feed mode for hours after eating (I've read 24 hours, I've read 48 hours. In my experience, I've noticed it for well over 12 hours many times). And you don't want to be on the receiving end of a feeding strike (as opposed to defensive) if you can avoid it.

Honestly, there's just zero benefit to using a seperate feeding tub.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-06-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12