Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

1 members and 2,855 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Finally got a decent start

Here's a couple hold backs. Already fed some off and more went in the freezer and looks like Foxie is ready to pop any day. My corn and thayers king finally ate f/t of my home grown variety. I know people say it really isnt worth it for a couple snakes but I feel it is.

My pinkies are more plump and in better condition than the ones I've gotten from my local Petco.

Now I'm waiting on my rats to get started.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elekia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),Dianne (12-05-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'm with you, on breeding my own rodents (& I always have)...they're healthier, you can be sure they are fed well, and I've never run out of the right size.
    Yes, there's work involved but it's worth it, IMO. I'm also very proud of my "herd", lol... and you might even find that you have extras that a local pet store
    or fellow snake-keeper would happily buy from you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Elekia (12-05-2018)

Thanks

Re: Finally got a decent start

Agreed. I'm friends with the local reptile rescue and I have another friend who has a snake so theres lots of people who need food once i get stabilized with my herd. And i can play around with genetics and coats too which has always been interesting imo.

And honestly with the few i have it isnt a lot of work yet. My cats are happy with them too. The kitten loves watching them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I know what you mean about breeding them...I've always kept fancy mice, & I actually used to have a small side business selling my surplus rodents. I'm only
    doing mice now (since I'm "down to" 16 snakes, don't ask how many I used to feed ) but I used to breed rats & Russian dwarf hamsters too. At the time I got
    into breeding the hamsters, they had a terrible reputation with local pet stores...their only source was a large commercial place that apparently made no attempt
    to avoid inbreeding, & their hamsters actually were more like wild ones...even the babies would literally attack you! Having an appropriate "outlet" () for
    any biters, & some hamsters from another far-away source, I ended up producing really cute pets in all sorts of pretty coat colors & great temperaments. I actually
    guaranteed them- if any proved unsatisfactory (were biters, even if it was because someone mishandled them) I exchanged them for free on my next weeks delivery.
    So they stopped losing money & sold LOTS of hamsters that were friendly pets, the way they were supposed to be. And as I said, I had "customers" for the very
    few that didn't measure up.