Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,764

4 members and 2,760 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: used aquarium

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

used aquarium

We have a charity thrift store open one day a week. I made it there today and found a 2' tall octagonal fish tank with matching stand. I'm sure it needs a re-silicone to even *maybe* hold water, but the possibilities seem interesting. Anoles? Morning gekos? Baby garters? Shallow water and tiny fish with some emergent plants?

Frankly, a bit overpriced at $35 (IMHO), but am still tempted. Haven't decided if it would look kinda kool in my house, or just tacky. That can be a fine line.

Anyway, I spent my avail. money on practical things like a fleece jacket, a nearly new parka, and rubberized heavy winter boots, but assuming it is still there next week...

Thanks
    go for it and paint it a crazy color!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I love to buy from thrift stores (they support great local causes including the Humane Society, our hospital & abused women/kids). If that tank is 2' tall, how
    wide is it? Sounds like it could even work for a corn snake, if it's about 2' wide or more...it would look cool with branches it too.

Only thing that would make me hesitate is all the work to disinfect it: FYI, this is where I'd be using bleach, & then F10/or chlorhexidine...more than one "cycle".
    You'd want to disinfect it first, then re-silicone it...even if it didn't hold water, it would work fine for a snake or geckos, etc.

Thanks
    A paludarium would be awesome with a nano tank on the bottom and adding enough structure up top for a herp.