Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,896

1 members and 2,895 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boaphile.

Thanks

Re: Boaphile.

I've always wondered where AP is getting their material from....dude a 3/4" 4'x8' CDPVC sheet would cost me WELL over $200 at any supply store. I called literally every industrial plastic supply place in southern Wisconsin that I know of with no luck on a lower price.....and AP can turn around and sell a T8 for less than $200. It's just mind blowing.

Sometime I want to drive down to their headquarters in Iowa and go dumpster diving just to find out lol.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KevinK For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-04-2018),MissterDog (12-04-2018),MR Snakes (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    I have all AP ENCLOSURES but grabbed this for a temporary one while Im waiting on another 8’ from AP. The Boaphile is 2.5 years old. I hot glued it together because I was leaving for a work trip last night and user angle iron around the outside to hold it together, then Siliconed the inside for the leaks. I gotta say Jeff wasn’t surprised nor does he have much to say. Thank God when I bought my other tthree enclosures I oordered them all from AP, can’t beat the quality and thickness of the material

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is what surprises me as his enclosures are not for the budget minded! I'd think he'd want to try to make good on one of his products. Very disappointing to me as I was leaning his way.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (12-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    That is what surprises me as his enclosures are not for the budget minded! I'd think he'd want to try to make good on one of his products. Very disappointing to me as I was leaning his way.
    Lean far away. I know he has a following but how long can 1/8”th last?? I know how long 1/2” lasts from AP and if something broke they will send you the piece... as a matter of fact Ali’s customer service is alone justifies buying from AP. The Quality enclosure is a bonus hahahahaha
    If I were you id pay a bit more for shipping and get the AP. Last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (12-04-2018),MR Snakes (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    I knew his PVC was thinner but i didnt think it was basically 1/2 of what AP uses. Thats pretty sad and the worst part is he had pretty much nothing to say about his products literally falling apart after only 2.5 years. I also thought he plastic welded all the seams and joints. I almost went for Boaphiles back when i was getting rid of my Constrictor NW cages and debating on AP or Boaphiles. So glad i i went AP. Although I will say, AP cage lighting has failed me lol. But at least Ali always takes care of me when i have issues. And i think any long cage will sag a little unless there literally is a pillar in the center of the cage or structural beams across the top. But from what i have seen, AP cages sag the least and with the center brace, at the least the doors always slide open and closed correctly.

Anyways, dont throw it out. Just bandaid it and use it for a cleaning cage like you said. I use one of my T8s as an expensive rubbermaid gatbage can to stuff Caesar in when i am cleaning his cage or else he manages to get himself in some mess within 5 mins flat lol.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-04-2018),MR Snakes (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I want to interject here.

I have only had my Boaphiles for a year now, but have had zero issues. I bought them because I know many boa breeders, and others, who have had them for years and have great success with them. Further, I have had nothing but positive experiences with Jeff regarding customer service.

Calm Pythons, as discussed in PM, I am very surprised Jeff was not more responsive and feel terrible for your situation. However, given that I have never heard of this, and I did a lot of research prior to spending an absurd amount of money on, now, 8 (really 13, depending on how you count them) tanks, heating elements, thermostats, etc. from Jeff, I have a few questions.

1. Did you purchase this tank from Jeff at Boaphile Plastics or get it second hand?

If you bought from Jeff, I am even more surprised with his response.

I also ask because if bought second hand, you don't know how it was treated, stored, or most importantly, placed.

2. As a follow up to the above, how was it placed in your home?

Boaphiles, as with AP, etc. are designed to be fully supported.

I know it goes without saying, but a Boaphile on a Boaphile is okay, as is a Boaphile on a stand that can fully support it's weight, fully, on the bottom, all side, all edges, evenly, etc. However, if stored, placed, etc. in a way that can cause uneven weight distribution, especially at temperatures that are high or low, the plastic can warp.

Again, I feel for you brother, and I am not saying you didn't get a bad rap. Believe me, I am as interested in you as my reptile room is full of Boaphile tanks right now. I have a vested interest if this is what I am going to be dealing with down the road.

However, I want to get all the facts, especially since this is turning into a bash Boaphile and Jeff Ronne thread, one of the most respected Boa breeders in the world.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-04-2018)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Wow the whole back just came right off? What's the length on this cage? I've got a stack of 3' and a stack of 4' from boaphile and only problem I've had is one of the acrylic doors has crazed really badly for some reason, but it didn't come like that and none of the other doors have. I don't have any sag or coming apart/leaking issues, my cages are 5-9? years old and used the whole time. But I could see them being too thin for large snakes. I've still got to order a full size cage for my RTB and have been looking at my options, I'd do two attached taller 4' cages if I went through him and it would be at the bottom of my stacks.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Boaphile.

I have 2 Boaphiles (BP), 6 Animal Plastics (AP), 2 AP copies, and a BoaMaster melamine (BMM).

Just a pic of a few of them.

My 3 foot BP quarantine cage is 5 years old. My 6 footer is older. I LOVE the BPs big heavy duty drop down doors with beefy latches. They are also the lightest cages that I own, the material is thin and they DO sag.

Due to the sag, you can see a big gap where the door seats on the right. Note metal bar for reinforcement on top right due to thin material.

If you know exactly what all options you want and can afford it, the BPs are a good choice as in Dakski’s case. However, if you wish to add something like an RHP or inside heating bulb after buying the cage, they suck due to the thin material. You need to use screws and or through bolts which will interfere with stacking.

AP has the most options out there, especially with sizing. Their swing out doors are flimsy though and suck just like their wait times. The heavy, smooth sliding glass is an excellent compromise for me. If you can wait, AP is the most bang for the buck.

The door warped within a few months on this AP 25

AP copies, I don’t recommend. I could have had twice as many original APs for the amount of money I invested in upgrades and repairs.

Old pic of copies

BMM, don’t even consider, my 4 footer is a huge heavy task for even 2 men to move.

Run away from these heavy mothers!

Forecast, the 3 foot BP will remain as a quarantine cage (and I’m not so sure about that), the other BP and the BMM will be replaced with AP.

I dont think that one can go wrong with either BP or AP. I’ve never bought directly from Jeff (BP), so I can’t comment on his reputation one way or the other.
    I have bought many from AP and will buy more. I will say that they are well worth the wait.
    Last edited by Reinz; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-04-2018),MR Snakes (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    And I thought trying to decide what morph to start with was confusing!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    And I thought trying to decide what morph to start with was confusing!
    LOL! What morph of WHAT species?!?!

Corn, King, BP, Carpet, BCI, Hognose, BCC, Dwarf Boa, Milk, something else!

Good luck!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    LOL! What morph of WHAT species?!?!

Corn, King, BP, Carpet, BCI, Hognose, BCC, Dwarf Boa, Milk, something else!

Good luck!

The deeper I get into this, the further away the light at the end of the tunnel gets!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast