Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

0 members and 2,967 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I'd lower the heat mat to about 85*...she's an "albino" black rat snake, & while they like humidity, too much can cause issues too & they're adaptable anyway.
    (what % of the floor does the heat mat occupy? is it at one end or in the middle?) A better way to offer humidity is a humid hide...use a large enough plastic
    food container (lid on) & cut (or melt) a doorway in the top, fill with damp (fully soaked & drained sphagnum moss) & refresh periodically to keep it damp.

Yes, your heater blowing on the cage sounds like a REAL issue. Always have to be sure of cage placement with regard to heat, A/C vents and windows that sun
    can stream in thru- avoid all those! All cages should be in a stable area, well away from all that & away from doors that open to the outside also (for drafts).

Snakes "burrow" when their hides are too tall & too open...easy fix: crumple a paper towel or two & stuff them inside! You'll find your snake in there, happy.
    Or you could probably give her a Christmas stocking...(an old un-matched sock works too)

And rather than misting, a larger water bowl will add humidity, especially if it's near the UTH.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-03-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    I have a ball python that loves to soak in his water bowl. Once a day I’ll find him in there. After an hour or so he goes back to hiding. And I know his enclosure is on point. Like u said he has no mites, I have a thermostat and a probe thermometer and check it with my laser temp gun. He just likes the water. He also eats like a champ and is my sweetheart snake.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Soaking alllll the time-- is this bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'd lower the heat mat to about 85*...she's an "albino" black rat snake, & while they like humidity, too much can cause issues too & they're adaptable anyway.
    (what % of the floor does the heat mat occupy? is it at one end or in the middle?) A better way to offer humidity is a humid hide...use a large enough plastic
    food container (lid on) & cut (or melt) a doorway in the top, fill with damp (fully soaked & drained sphagnum moss) & refresh periodically to keep it damp.

Yes, your heater blowing on the cage sounds like a REAL issue. Always have to be sure of cage placement with regard to heat, A/C vents and windows that sun
    can stream in thru- avoid all those! All cages should be in a stable area, well away from all that & away from doors that open to the outside also (for drafts).

Snakes "burrow" when their hides are too tall & too open...easy fix: crumple a paper towel or two & stuff them inside! You'll find your snake in there, happy.
    Or you could probably give her a Christmas stocking...(an old un-matched sock works too)

And rather than misting, a larger water bowl will add humidity, especially if it's near the UTH.
    Thank you! I'm learning a lot here! I will set the heat mat to 85. It is a small mat about 8x8 and pretty much only occupies only the area under her warm hide. She has a large enclosure and the mat is on the far end of one side. The Christmas stocking is a great idea!! I'll work on making a cool humid hide for her.

I was mostly using those plant jars to keep the humidity up rather than misting (in our dry climate misting lasts like an hour). I have put in a large but shallow dish instead of the jars for now.

I do think the main problem is the furnace blasting her, but I have learned a lot of other useful things in trying to troubleshoot that. Thanks again everyone! :-)
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-03-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018)

Thanks
    Okay . . I redirected the ceiling vent, mostly covered the top of the enclosure to reduce any possible drafts while still allowing some air circulation, removed the plant jars for now, redid the cool hide with some damp moss. reduced the heating mat temp under the warm hide and stuffed a couple of paper towels in it.

And . . . after investigating the changes, she's now tucked into her warm hide! (see her tail sticking out)

YAY!

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-03-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: grammar
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018),Dianne (12-03-2018),richardhind1972 (12-03-2018)

Thanks
    YESSSSSSS! She wuvs her new blankie...

In the past, I've raised a number of hatchlings (corn & rat snakes, bull/gopher snakes, rosy boas, & others) and I've noticed that many
    love either a crumpled paper towel (all those enticing crevices!) stuffed into a hide, or I've torn 1 or 2 paper towels into narrow strips &
    tossed them (like a salad) so they fluff into a happy tangle in their cage...either way, it's what they crave.

That's an attractive hide but like many sold in stores, the doorway is too big (too open) & the "ceiling" is too high. Maybe someday the
    manufacturers will "get it"? But at least there's a work-around until they do. Good work!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-03-2018 at 04:19 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (12-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    ...I will set the heat mat to 85. It is a small mat about 8x8 and pretty much only occupies only the area under her warm hide. She has a large enclosure and the mat is on the far end of one side....
    And just to be clear, you have hopefully verified that the actual temperature of the surface inside the cage & right over the UTH is in fact around 85*, right? -I only
    ask because of the way you worded it, as if you could take it for granted that once you set a thermostat that it will actually produce that specific temperature in the
    cage where it's supposed to. You always want to check & verify that. With the hide being right over-top the UTH, and the substrate/towel inside, the warmth will
    slowly build up inside & hopefully stay comfy for her. If she starts avoiding the hide, check again, it might be getting too warm for her. It may take some time for
    her to discover the humid (moss) hide too, but I bet she'll enjoy it. Our snakes have some individual opinions too, so you can watch & tweak whatever she prefers. The same way she "told you" that she wanted "back pressure" when she squashed herself behind the backing, lol...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks

Yep, I have a laser heat thermometer to verify- because the probe is also outside of the tank against the mat, so the inside temp is a bit lower than what the probe says. I have to "tweak" it, which I'm getting good at. :-) Thanks again for all your advice! It's been a fun hobby to learn all this stuff. Plus the snakes are cute. :-)
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 12-03-2018 at 05:38 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12