Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,756

2 members and 2,754 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Soaking alllll the time-- is this bad?

So a few months ago I discovered that Noodle loves soaking in the water jar of a plant I put in her enclosure. This was cute at first, and she would just hang out and then do other things. But she's spending most of her time in the jar and -- maybe I'm just being a worried "mom"-- but could this be a bad thing? I mean like in the last week she's spent nearly all her time (day and night) int the jar. I took her out of the jar to feed her, and she hung out in her hide for about 2 hours and then back to the jar. That was two days ago.

Her ambient temp is 70-72. Her max heat on the heatmat under the warm hide is 90. She has plenty of other places to hide, including burrowing under the substrate (which she used to do a lot before discovering the jar).

She otherwise appears to be her usual healthy, playful, calm little snakey self. Any thoughts on this?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    I was going to say temp. Humidity maybe?

Thanks

Re: Soaking alllll the time-- is this bad?

Quote Originally Posted by MR Snakes View Post
    I was going to say temp. Humidity maybe?
    What would be a good humidity? Right now it's around 40-48%. Do the temps sound good in the enclosure?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    I wanted to add that we live in the desert, and the house is actually much warmer in the summer-- around 80 degrees. I would have expected her soak more in the summer than she does now. She's ice cold when I take her out of the jar.

I admit I don't do much to control the humidity in her enclosure. I put a lot more effort into maintaining the temps/humidity in the ball python enclosure.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

What is she again?
    Last edited by dakski; 12-03-2018 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    What is she again?
    Albino black ratsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

My guess is 90F is a little hot for her on the hot side, but I don't know that for sure. I would imagine 86F is probably a good hot spot. However, ambient seems okay.

Is she eating? Have you ruled out mites? Does she have appropriates sized hides and on the hot and cool sides? It might not be a water issue, but rather, a safety issue. I think I recall seeing a picture of her in the jar and she looked pretty tight.

The only time I see my corn snakes in the water bowl is when it gets too hot (in the summer) and I have to adjust the thermostat down. If the ambient gets above 82F, they are not happy. They go right in the water bowl to try and cool off. However, I am guessing that isn't your problem.

How are you checking temps?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    My guess is 90F is a little hot for her on the hot side, but I don't know that for sure. I would imagine 86F is probably a good hot spot. However, ambient seems okay.

Is she eating? Have you ruled out mites? Does she have appropriates sized hides and on the hot and cool sides? It might not be a water issue, but rather, a safety issue. I think I recall seeing a picture of her in the jar and she looked pretty tight.

The only time I see my corn snakes in the water bowl is when it gets too hot (in the summer) and I have to adjust the thermostat down. If the ambient gets above 82F, they are not happy. They go right in the water bowl to try and cool off. However, I am guessing that isn't your problem.

How are you checking temps?
    Thanks for replying so thoughtfully! I appreciate it!

Eating great, no mites that I can see (and she's pink, so I think it would be easy to see them). Has both hot and cool hides.
    I will try adjusting the heating mat down. I have both a probe on the heating pad, and I have an ambient temp/humidity monitor. I also use a laser thermometer gun to make sure the hot hide is not too hot, since the probe is right on the heating mat I wanted to make sure it was accurate to the true temperature.

The jar is very wide at the top, but I am worried she might get too cold in the water soaking that long, and not be able to get out because she's too stiff and cold. I am still learning about snakes, but it just doesn't seem normal to have a snake soaking that much. Maybe you are right and it's too warm for her in the enclosure still. I can also turn off the overhead LED light for a time and see if that helps. I have removed the jars for now and she's back to a shallow dish. She immediately went to burrow under the substrate on the cool side after seeing her jars were gone. So maybe she *is* too warm.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Ambient temps in the cage of 70-72* sounds fine, but I'm wondering HOW MUCH-? of her cage is affected by the 90* heat mat (it's too hot!) and also how you
    are measuring the ambient temps. I'd take the jars out & use a normal water bowl, as cute as the jar thing was...soaking constantly, she can end up with skin
    issues. BE SURE there are no mites (LOOK AGAIN). Black rat snakes are native to many eastern U.S. states (including mine) which are more humid, but I used to
    keep & breed "albino" (amelanistic) black rat snakes back when I lived in the desert with low humidity too. Make sure she has a bowl that is big enough to soak
    if she wants, but I really think you need to work on the suitability of her hides, as these snakes don't usually burrow. Make sure she has both a warm & unheated
    hide, & bear in mind that these snakes would absolutely brumate in the wild, so that's what she may be trying to do (when cooling off in the jar). The length of
    daylight & cooler ambient temps are probably confusing her, since she's still eating. No trouble digesting, I assume? Stools look normal? What kind of enclosure
    is this? Not a glass tank, I'm assuming? These do best with air circulation...heat builds up fast in a plastic cage...I recommend & only use glass tanks with screen
    tops, FYI.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-03-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Ambient temps in the cage of 70-72* sounds fine, but I'm wondering HOW MUCH-? of her cage is affected by the 90* heat mat (it's too hot!) and also how you
    are measuring the ambient temps. I'd take the jars out & use a normal water bowl, as cute as the jar thing was...soaking constantly, she can end up with skin
    issues. BE SURE there are no mites (LOOK AGAIN). Black rat snakes are native to many eastern U.S. states (including mine) which are more humid, but I used to
    keep & breed "albino" (amelanistic) black rat snakes back when I lived in the desert with low humidity too. Make sure she has a bowl that is big enough to soak
    if she wants, but I really think you need to work on the suitability of her hides, as these snakes don't usually burrow. Make sure she has both a warm & unheated
    hide, & bear in mind that these snakes would absolutely brumate in the wild, so that's what she may be trying to do (when cooling off in the jar). The length of
    daylight & cooler ambient temps are probably confusing her, since she's still eating. No trouble digesting, I assume? Stools look normal? What kind of enclosure
    is this? Not a glass tank, I'm assuming? These do best with air circulation...heat builds up fast in a plastic cage...I recommend & only use glass tanks with screen
    tops, FYI.
    Thank you!

What should the heat mat be set at? I just pointed the laser thermometer at it and it's reading 88. The cool side is reading 70.

She's burrowed her whole life. I think she's a bit quirky. LOL!

Or maybe she's not an Eastern black ratsnake as I was told. It's hard to tell because she's albino and the reptile store where I got her (which is a very good store-- take care of their animals well) didn't know much about what specific type of ratnsake and was guessing black. Her enclosure at the store was labeled simply "albino ratsnake."

She loves a certain cool hide at times, and besides burrowing, she hangs out in her cool hide a lot, and then goes through phases of hanging out in her fake ivy plants and hiding in the leaves and coiling in the branches. She used to coil herself on top of a large leaf and hang out there a lot when she was tiny and the leaves could support her.

She is eating and pooping great. Calm, not defensive when I go into the hide to pick her up.

What would be ideal humidity for her? It varies between 40 and 45% generally. Today it's 48% because it's a cloudy day and a bit more humid than normal (for the desert).

OHHHH I think I just thought of something! As I was thinking about weather, heaters, etc. I realized that the heating vent in the room blows right on her enclosure!! So it probably is blasting her with heat intermittently! We just turned on the furnace about 2 weeks ago! I'll fix that situation today and see if that's what's going on.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018),dakski (12-03-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast