Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,234

1 members and 3,233 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Keeping the lid of a tub securely closed?

I went to the dollar tree when i was using tubs i bought ornament hangers the ones u use for hanging christmas tree bulbs. i then drilled hole between the top of the lid and in the edge of the tub where they connect and put them through and twisted it shut. that seemed to be pretty sturdy worth a try

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    I went to the dollar tree when i was using tubs i bought ornament hangers the ones u use for hanging christmas tree bulbs. i then drilled hole between the top of the lid and in the edge of the tub where they connect and put them through and twisted it shut. that seemed to be pretty sturdy worth a try

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    This reminded me that I've seen someone use leash clips in the past, through holes in the edge of the tub where the lid connects, in the same way you do. I think this is a good idea.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2018),Sonny1318 (01-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

I saw luggage straps at the store the other day that looked like they'd work just like tie downs, except easier to operate.

They were 2" or so thick nylon straps with big plastic buckles and adjusters. If you got them nice and snug and clipped them on, it may be easier to use than tie downs. (I know it would be for me... I can never get tie downs to work on the first try) Or even just less extra material.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 12-04-2018 at 05:18 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    This reminded me that I've seen someone use leash clips in the past, through holes in the edge of the tub where the lid connects, in the same way you do. I think this is a good idea.
    What to do with your dad's old cufflinks...

Thanks

its the latches

So this recently happened to me! lol
    I recently moved to Big Bear, Ca(cold climate) up from Ontario, Ca. (warm climate)
    I swithched all my snakes to tubs from glass tanks. i plan on housing more and tub is more efficient.
    anywho, i always clean my tubs every few days and one day i came home and i noticed my Banana/Pastel was out of her enclosure.
    so i immediately checked my Wall Heater, Water heater and under the rack itself. Not there!
    so i went straight to the Fridge lol peek underneath Lo and Behold i was looking into the eyes of.........a comfortable snake lol

I couldnt figure out HOW in the world she did it, i know for a fact i locked my tubs. Well i live in a resort town and have visitors all the time, so my cousins came up for the weekend and while everyone was up late watching tv we heard a loud pop and didnt know what it was! Then out of nowhere i see my bananas head reaching out towards my tv stand.

i put her back in and locked the tub, then i started watching. so this is how she did it. She slides up into the handle of the tub. its almost like a perch for her she get the bulk of her body in the handle and pushes. the plastic lid actually flexes.
    she does this over and over and over until the latch pops off. once it does the bulk of her body holds the lid open and she notices and tries to escape.
    now my mojave female has learned this trick and she does it.
    I had to go to DIY home improvement and buy some small but really some clamps. cost about $1 a piece.
    they cannot move those things to save their lives now. so were good.

i just wanted to tell you how theyre doing it! And once they learn itll keep happening. ill try to get a video of it later.
    but if your using a longer but shorter tub id imagine its just as easy for flex theyre bodies in the shorter tubs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    I've done this in the past. it def works. I used a soldering iron to make the holes. It's pretty solid. In the back I use thick zip ties to make hinges..

Last edited by cletus; 01-12-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12