Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 377

15 members and 362 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

Snake13-2 (41)
GoingPostal (33)
kaynoh (30)
jmp7691 (23)

» Stats

Members: 62,733
Threads: 236,010
Posts: 2,445,857
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, cluce86
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User omglolchrisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked 157 Times in 125 Posts

    Questions about tub setups.

    Okay so I haven't posted on here in a minute but. I have a few questions about keeping a bp in a tub.. okay so here are my questions

    1.) Is a tub setup suitable for an adult Bp?

    2.) What size tub would be adequate?

    3.) Do you need a cold and a warm hide?

    4.) How would you keep up the ambient temps in a tub?

    4.) Will my bp be happy in a tub?

    5.) Will a uth melt the tub or make the tub give off carcinogens?

    I think those are my main questions
    Last edited by omglolchrisss; 12-03-2018 at 12:01 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to omglolchrisss For This Useful Post:

    MR Snakes (12-03-2018)

  3. #2
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    08-29-2006
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 159 Times in 88 Posts
    41qt is recommended for most adults, some females may require larger and some males may do fine in smaller.
    Most seem to run one or no hides, I only run hot hide and they are doing better than ever.
    Ambient temps are achieved by keeping the whole room at a higher temp.
    You must use a thermostat!!! No it won't burn the plastic but may burn the snake if not ran properly.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to chakup For This Useful Post:

    MR Snakes (12-03-2018)

  5. #3
    Registered User omglolchrisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked 157 Times in 125 Posts

    Re: Questions about tub setups.

    Quote Originally Posted by chakup View Post
    41qt is recommended for most adults, some females may require larger and some males may do fine in smaller.
    Most seem to run one or no hides, I only run hot hide and they are doing better than ever.
    Ambient temps are achieved by keeping the whole room at a higher temp.
    You must use a thermostat!!! No it won't burn the plastic but may burn the snake if not ran properly.
    I know i need a thermostat i have a herpstat II Redline im gonna give him 2 hides cuz i like having a cool place to escape to so he can have what i have

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  6. #4
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    08-29-2006
    Posts
    260
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 159 Times in 88 Posts
    My new little girl has 4 hides and decor, older bigger have the one. Make sure to double check temps with a temp gun on bottom of tub (move substrate).

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chakup For This Useful Post:

    MR Snakes (12-03-2018),omglolchrisss (12-03-2018)

  8. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-18-2018
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 179 Times in 88 Posts

    Re: Questions about tub setups.

    Quote Originally Posted by omglolchrisss View Post
    Okay so I haven't posted on here in a minute but. I have a few questions about keeping a bp in a tub.. okay so here are my questions

    1.) Is a tub setup suitable for an adult Bp?

    2.) What size tub would be adequate?

    3.) Do you need a cold and a warm hide?

    4.) How would you keep up the ambient temps in a tub?

    4.) Will my bp be happy in a tub?

    5.) Will a uth melt the tub or make the tub give off carcinogens?

    I think those are my main questions
    1. I housed mine since he was a babe. He is getting big and currently he is in a 41 qt which many recommend for full grown adults. Imo, never hurts to go big as long as 1. Keep it 'cluttered' ie lots of hiding places and decor 2. Snake eats consistently and seem do be doing well.

    2. Yes. Identical hides.

    3. Sorry can't help you with this one. My room temp never goes below 77 in my coldest room. When it gets colder like we have cold fronts in South FL, I turn on the heater because ALL my animals including the furry ones will appreciate that. I would not use lights or CHE for tubs unless you know what you are doing or someone who does gives you the instructions.

    4. Can't answer that. I don't like to project human feelings to what my pets really feel. What does it mean to be happy for a snake? To be able to compete for and choose their own mates? Well then he or she is most certainly not happy. The general consensus in the reptile hobby is if it eats for you and breeds for you, it is happy. Most bp's eat better in tubs so I guess it can be happy under that context.

    5. Use a thermostat.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

    MR Snakes (12-03-2018)

  10. #6
    Registered User omglolchrisss's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2017
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    596
    Thanks
    487
    Thanked 157 Times in 125 Posts

    Re: Questions about tub setups.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesenugget View Post
    1. I housed mine since he was a babe. He is getting big and currently he is in a 41 qt which many recommend for full grown adults. Imo, never hurts to go big as long as 1. Keep it 'cluttered' ie lots of hiding places and decor 2. Snake eats consistently and seem do be doing well.

    2. Yes. Identical hides.

    3. Sorry can't help you with this one. My room temp never goes below 77 in my coldest room. When it gets colder like we have cold fronts in South FL, I turn on the heater because ALL my animals including the furry ones will appreciate that. I would not use lights or CHE for tubs unless you know what you are doing or someone who does gives you the instructions.

    4. Can't answer that. I don't like to project human feelings to what my pets really feel. What does it mean to be happy for a snake? To be able to compete for and choose their own mates? Well then he or she is most certainly not happy. The general consensus in the reptile hobby is if it eats for you and breeds for you, it is happy. Most bp's eat better in tubs so I guess it can be happy under that context.

    5. Use a thermostat.
    By happy I mean not stressed im not projecting my feelings onto him

    Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

  11. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-07-2018
    Posts
    128
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 92 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Questions about tub setups.

    The tub will not melt or release carcinogens with a regulated UTH or heat tape.

    40-70 quart tubs are normal for adults.

    I use two hides.

    Warmth comes from heat tape or UTH. The cool end will be room temp or just above.

    Snake will be happier and less stressed if it feels like itís hidden.

    (These are my findings using tubs in a rack)


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jbabycsx For This Useful Post:

    MR Snakes (12-03-2018)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1