Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

0 members and 2,941 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Opinions on predatory mites?

Quote Originally Posted by snake girl 123 View Post
    Update - the predatory mites have been in the terrarium 3 days. There are a few dead mites on the floor (not sure which type) and I am not sure if they have worked. She has some black dots on her and although they are probably snake mites, they could be predatory mites? I don't know. Recently she hasn't been soaking in her water bowl much though so hope fully the situation has improved...
    So, you can't tell the mites apart then? (yikes!) I was assuming the predators were bigger & distinguishable...I'd also assume the predatory mites would NOT be
    on the snake...I'd be very uncomfortable seeing that. What about eggs left by the original mites? The predators die off naturally...when they run out of food???
    Thanks for the update...hard to tell how well this is working though, from what you said.

Thanks

Re: Opinions on predatory mites?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    So, you can't tell the mites apart then? (yikes!) I was assuming the predators were bigger & distinguishable...I'd also assume the predatory mites would NOT be
    on the snake...I'd be very uncomfortable seeing that. What about eggs left by the original mites? The predators die off naturally...when they run out of food???
    Thanks for the update...hard to tell how well this is working though, from what you said.
    The mites are supposed to die out after 3 weeks without food, and they eat the eggs too. However I only saw a couple of (unidentified) mites on her so it is improving I think. I thought the predator mites could be on her as they have to hunt the snake mites down to eat them, and they would be on the the snake right? Just to be safe I am going to use the spray after these have died - want to get them all this time!

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to snake girl 123 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You're probably right, that the predators have to hunt ON the snake too, but it would be all I could do not to remove any mite I saw on my snake...
    Keeping my fingers crossed though that it's working as it should!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12