Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

1 members and 3,281 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How on earth is this comfortable?

So my 3 months old ball python Hebi, decided to completely ignore her hide and always finds ways to go in between the hide itself and the glass of the terrarium. At first the hide was on the hot side, right above the UTH (kept at around 91F), but she still went in between it and the glass. That was where she decided to hold up when she was shedding.
    I thought maybe the hide was too big for her, and she did not feel secure in it, so I got her a smaller one, one of those small exo terra reptile caves. I move the previous hide to the cold side of the tank (around 78F), took out the hide that was in the cold side before and placed the exo terra one on the hot side. A few days have passed and she still goes straight for that spot in between the glass and the hide, even after I moved it.
    There is no other issues with her, she eats every week, is active at night, and even is a real sweetheart the days I take her out to handle her. She just really likes that spot! I've heard the sentence "a hiding ball python is a happy ball python", I am just worried that now that I moved it to the cold side, it might affect her health.

Here's a picture of what I mean :

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KareemDaDream For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (11-30-2018)

Thanks

Re: How on earth is this comfortable?

There should be 2 identical hides in the tank 1 on cool side and 1 on warm side so they can regulate there body temps and choose where they want

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    There should be 2 identical hides in the tank 1 on cool side and 1 on warm side so they can regulate there body temps and choose where they want

If there is 2 different ones they may favor one more then the other and that can cause problems since they wont move back and forth to regulate there body

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

KareemDaDream (11-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    If there is 2 different ones they may favor one more then the other and that can cause problems since they wont move back and forth to regulate there body

Thanks! Didn't know that, well thankfully those hides are cheap

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KareemDaDream View Post
    Thanks! Didn't know that, well thankfully those hides are cheap
    No problem. Honestly you can also make ur own hides for cheap i went to the dollar tree for my big ball python grabbed black oil plastic drain pan things sand paper and an utility knife i cut a hole in it sanded it to make sure it wasnt sharp washed it and put it in the tank with her something as big as that woild have cost 30+ at a reptile shop and i made it for like 5 dollars so u can also buikd ur own hides for cheap if ur ball python is small u can also use like margarine containers etc just make sure u sand anything sharp on it or any cuts u make

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KareemDaDream View Post
    So my 3 months old ball python Hebi, decided to completely ignore her hide and always finds ways to go in between the hide itself and the glass of the terrarium. At first the hide was on the hot side, right above the UTH (kept at around 91F), but she still went in between it and the glass. That was where she decided to hold up when she was shedding.
    I thought maybe the hide was too big for her, and she did not feel secure in it, so I got her a smaller one, one of those small exo terra reptile caves. I move the previous hide to the cold side of the tank (around 78F), took out the hide that was in the cold side before and placed the exo terra one on the hot side. A few days have passed and she still goes straight for that spot in between the glass and the hide, even after I moved it.
    There is no other issues with her, she eats every week, is active at night, and even is a real sweetheart the days I take her out to handle her. She just really likes that spot! I've heard the sentence "a hiding ball python is a happy ball python", I am just worried that now that I moved it to the cold side, it might affect her health.

Here's a picture of what I mean :
    Hilarious. I love how great ball pythons are at hiding. They will cram themselves into the tightest crevices possible! Mine do weird stuff like that sometimes too. Millions of years of evolution to prevent being a meal, have programmed them to get into the tightest, hardest to find places.... NOT RECOMMENDED, but if you really want a challenging game of hide and seek, play with a ball python. They will find the darnedest places to disappear. My friends once climbed into his subwoofer for weeks, and they couldn't get him out

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My snake has a tiny cheap half log hide and he loves it. One third of his body is exposed and he still refuses to use anything else. I am going to try a Reptile Basics hide or make my own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    My snake has a tiny cheap half log hide and he loves it. One third of his body is exposed and he still refuses to use anything else. I am going to try a Reptile Basics hide or make my own.
    I bought a couple of hides from them to try them out, but then realized my snake will out grow them. I was out on the property and had a lightbulb moment and decided to use some
    Hemp string and sticks and build a square hide. The guy I built is for absolutely loved it, but then outgrew it. Then realized I need to make sure they feel nice snug and secure. So started making my own hides from cardboard and hot glue gun. I have a rack system with ARS-70 non bowl tubs, and I keep the hides on the cool end. It’s cheap and cost effective and can be upgraded when needed. Most of the time my snakes are sprawled and stretched out across and are chill & calm. I’m almost to the point eh, no need for hides but I keep them there just Incase. I’m getting ready to build moisture boxes to put in the tubs when i know there are going into shed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla78 View Post
    Hilarious. I love how great ball pythons are at hiding. They will cram themselves into the tightest crevices possible! Mine do weird stuff like that sometimes too. Millions of years of evolution to prevent being a meal, have programmed them to get into the tightest, hardest to find places.... NOT RECOMMENDED, but if you really want a challenging game of hide and seek, play with a ball python. They will find the darnedest places to disappear. My friends once climbed into his subwoofer for weeks, and they couldn't get him out
    It sometimes takes me a few minutes to find her WITHIN her tank, I can't even picture a full scale game of hide and seek lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    I had one of those too but complete opposite scenario, my snake did not even approach it. I guess it's as Dylan pointed out, she preferred the other one. In addition now she also outgrew that half log.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast