Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

2 members and 3,220 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Snakes ; feeding time intervals ..

Just wondering what you 'lot' all think about feeding intervals for your snakes ( not hatchlings as they're kinda different) .

I tend to feed my lot every 7 to 10 days or so , not written in stone .

I also have a couple of Albino Royal Pythons who only eat every two weeks for some reason .

My adult Snow Boa gets fed every three weeks give or take a day or so .

I know many /some overfeed their adult Boas but I was just reading about a bloke who's been feeding his adult Boa every 10 to 12 WEEKS , his vet reckons it's in perfect condition and health .

I sometimes leave my adult Snow Boa three weeks but THREE months !?

Any thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Snakes ; feeding time intervals ..

I'll stick to the species I have and list adult feeding regime for my snakes (not telling anyone what to do with theirs). Of note, Behira, my BCI, is 2 1/2 but getting very close to, if not on an adult schedule, depending on how big a meal she eats at any given time, but I'll explain that. Also, I am still learning about Carpet Pythons and Yafe is only 1 year old or so, so I do not feel qualified to comment there yet.

Corn snakes: Depending on size of snake and sex (and some trial and error) either a small meal 1X a week or a regular meal every 10 days to 14 days. My adult male corn at 5FT and 650G gets an adult mouse, 20-25G, weekly, and every 3-4 weeks, when gains a little bit, I skip a week, to keep him around the 650G mark. He's almost 6 years old and done growing, well, for the most part, he is a snake.

BP: Offer an appropriate sized rat (I have a 1,800G female, so a medium) every two weeks. She takes 5/6 or better 7 months of the year and 1/6 of worse when fasting in the winter when I offer monthly.

BCI: Appropriate meal every 3-4 weeks, a big meal every 4-6, or a small meal every 2-3. A lot of it is trial and error, weight, and body condition. You want your Boa to be lean and muscular. Once they put on weight, it's very, very, hard to get it off, and it's very unhealthy for them. Better to feed smaller meals and up prey size or frequency then the other way around. Remember, Boa's have very slow metabolisms.

Zincubus, to your question, I've heard of 20 pound BCI's eating a 2-3 pound rabbit and not eating for 6-7 weeks after. However, 3 months is a long time, regardless of what they ate. Can they do it, yes? Does it happen in nature? I am sure it does. Would I do it in captivity, especially in absence of any breeding situation? Absolutely not.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-30-2018),JRLongton (11-30-2018),MR Snakes (11-30-2018),Zincubus (11-30-2018)