Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 603

1 members and 602 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Hmm, I have the opposite experience. My snakes are uncomfortably interested in my cats. I only let one of our cats in the room with me when I am doing certain tasks in the room. He goes and lays down in front of the olive python cage and just watches the olive python try to get closer to him.

They will NEVER meet face-to-face, though.
    Too Many...

That's what my wife says

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

New cat afraid of my snakes ☹️

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I think you can start removing the covers, or half covering it so it's more of a gradual process but still offering some exposure. She's still new and getting used to her new home, so everything is still taking a while for her to adjust and get familiar with.

Eventually she will gain confidence in her new environment, including the existence of your snake. I've had cats get freaked at the weirdest things, maybe not snakes but something as strange as the fan or lamp or BOOTS. Or things like moving to a new apartment, guests visiting, dogs barking outside, ect. Every cat is different (I don't know what history yours has), but in my experience, cats will eventually gravitate to wherever you are and if that area has something that's scary, they will gradually make steps towards getting passed it, especially if there is some positive association reinforced with it (your attention or treats). I find if you act chill about it they will start picking up on that confidence and feel less guarded. It will just take time and done at their own pace. I have no doubt she will get used to things at some point, just keep being patient
    There's a famous video clip on YouTube showing someone place a BANANA on a kitchen surface behind their cat who was sitting on the table top and when the cat looks around and notices the banana it jumps into the air

Sadly this isn't the clip but it gives an idea

https://youtu.be/9TdRQ9wTjG4
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-21-2018 at 01:08 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (05-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    I'd much prefer that my cat was afraid of my snakes...cats are predators that typically try to "play" with small animals and often DO kill them, even if not for food.

You always need to protect any pet snakes, no matter how big, from other pets you may have. It just doesn't end well, especially for the snakes. Cats have effective
    (& very germy) claws & teeth, even just a scratch can kill your snakes via unresponsive infections. I have dogs, it's pretty much the same thing...they're cautious of my
    snakes even though I've had them the whole time, & it's just fine with me. They are never allowed together.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123