Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,528

3 members and 3,525 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New BP not eating? Is that normal?

Quote Originally Posted by DPlant View Post
    The BP came from the PetSmart that had the sick snake. I threw out everything that I used for the sick snake and thoroughly disinfected the cage.

Also, here's a description of the setup!
    - 10 gallon glass aquarium tank
    - water dish big enough for BP to go in, if needed
    - heating mat (with thermostat set to 90 degrees F)
    - hide
    - rocks for climbing
    - aspen bedding
    Congratulations on your new snake. Hopefully this experience will go better than the last snake after he has had time to settle in. I understand wanting to save pet store animals because very few stores really know how to care for snakes.

I would start with getting a thermomter and checking your ambient temperature. Unless you keep your house at 80 or more, you will need an auxiliary heat source like a heat lamp.

I didnt have any luck with aspen shavings because it didn’t hold humidity well. Forest Floor or ReptiBark does wonder for humidity. If you get a good gauge like an Accurite gauge, you can keep an eye on humidity and ambient temps. I try to keep my tank between 50-60%

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SVT Wylde For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-30-2018),DPlant (11-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Yes, I am a beginning snake-keeper as this is my first ball python. I'll be sure to leave the snake alone for a week so that it can acclimate to its new environment. Also, I'll bring it back to PetSmart or the vet if the snake continues to not eat or shows signs of sickness. Thank you!
    Let's hope it goes better this time Trust me, we all want a successful pet experience for you, and for your new pet to thrive under your care. Do keep reading &
    asking questions...we'll help all we can. Ball pythons are often suggested as a good "beginner" snake, because they are pretty, usually docile & stay a nice size, but
    their care is harder than many other kinds, & their eating habits can take some getting used to. To your credit, you didn't give up after your unfortunate first attempt.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DPlant (11-30-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

For any newbies ..

Before you actually purchase a snake please do lots of research and after all that if you do decide to get a Royal / Ball python as a first shake .... the main thing after ensuring it looks healthy is to make certain it's a good , proven feeder .

I only buy off breeders rather than pet stores as I find them more trustworthy ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-30-2018),DPlant (11-30-2018),JRLongton (11-30-2018),Kira (12-02-2018),MissterDog (11-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    For any newbies ..

Before you actually purchase a snake please do lots of research and after all that if you do decide to get a Royal / Ball python as a first shake .... the main thing after ensuring it looks healthy is to make certain it's a good , proven feeder .

I only buy off breeders rather than pet stores as I find them more trustworthy ..

Agreed. Also pet stores don't have the records dating back to the birth that breeders have.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MR Snakes For This Useful Post:

DPlant (11-30-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    For any newbies ..

VERY well said, Zinc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

DPlant (11-30-2018),Zincubus (11-30-2018)

Thanks

Id leave it alone for a week try feeding absolutely no handling for atleast 3 sucessful meals. Make sure there approperiate size meals no bigger then the widest part of there body. 2 identical hides 1 on cool 1 on warm. Check the temps at the glass to see the temp and adjust thermostat as needed. Black out 3 sides of the tank to make it feel more secure. Ambient temp should be around 80 basking 90. Only going in the cage to do spot cleaning and water changes. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2018),DPlant (11-30-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SVT Wylde View Post
    Congratulations on your new snake. Hopefully this experience will go better than the last snake after he has had time to settle in. I understand wanting to save pet store animals because very few stores really know how to care for snakes.

I would start with getting a thermomter and checking your ambient temperature. Unless you keep your house at 80 or more, you will need an auxiliary heat source like a heat lamp.

I didnt have any luck with aspen shavings because it didn’t hold humidity well. Forest Floor or ReptiBark does wonder for humidity. If you get a good gauge like an Accurite gauge, you can keep an eye on humidity and ambient temps. I try to keep my tank between 50-60%
    Thank you very much for these tips. However, could I possibly use a mix of peat moss (from Lowe's), sphagnum moss, and orchid bark for substrate as an alternative?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    Id leave it alone for a week try feeding absolutely no handling for atleast 3 sucessful meals. Make sure there approperiate size meals no bigger then the widest part of there body. 2 identical hides 1 on cool 1 on warm. Check the temps at the glass to see the temp and adjust thermostat as needed. Black out 3 sides of the tank to make it feel more secure. Ambient temp should be around 80 basking 90. Only going in the cage to do spot cleaning and water changes. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll be sure to do this ASAP.

Thanks

Thanks! I'll be sure to do this ASAP.
    No problem also make sure humidity is no lower then 50% around 70% when in shed. I learned the hard way any little thing can stress them out and if there stressed they will refuse food. Moving to a new home os vwry stressful on them and they tend to refuse food for a week or 2 sometimes longer depending on the bp and how the setup is. Ive done both glass and tubs and honestly the tubs are way easier and the feeding response u get is actually insanly high. I converted back to tanks for display reasons. There a very stubborn snake i learned that very fast and the slightest thing they dont like can throw them off feed.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-30-2018),DPlant (12-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Thank you very much for these tips. However, could I possibly use a mix of peat moss (from Lowe's), sphagnum moss, and orchid bark for substrate as an alternative?
    Not peat moss, but sphagnum moss +/or orchid bark =

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DPlant (12-01-2018)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast