Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,771

4 members and 3,767 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Winter Enclosure Heating

Hello,

I am receiving an Animal Plastics T8 with a divider today. I live in Minnesota and everyone knows that winters here get cold. I am starting with heat tape (with a VE 200) and will go with RHPs if needed. Recently at one of the expos, I was talking to a PVC cage supplier about heating. He said that he uses the FlexWatt and places a piece of reflective insulation board under the cage. It's a pink insulation board with a aluminum covering. He stated that the insulation board helps transfer heat to the rest of the cage.

I was under the impression that there needs to be some airflow space between the heat tape affixed to enclosure and the counter/table and/or shelf.

1. does anybody use this type of insulation or a different kind under their enclosure?

2. if used wouldn't there be a risk of over heating the FlexWatt?

I also have a couple of glass tanks, does anyone use insulation on the outside of them?

I'm thinking that insulating the under side and outside walls would help retain heat and reduce energy consumption.

Any thoughts?
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ssmith73 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    As long as the FlexWatt or whatever else you use for a UTH is regulated by a thermostat it should not overheat. PVC is pretty thin so heat goes right through it, and the UTH shouldn't top 95*F if regulated properly.

Also think about enclosures that are stacked but each has a UTH; most people don't put an air gap between them.

If the ambient temperature in your house is cool then definitely get both the UTH and RHP for the enclosure. In the summer you can always turn off one appliance if you find you don't need it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Registered User SiXandSeven8ths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Just go with an RHP right off the bat. I live next door in South Dakota. I have 2 T-8s and they each have an RHP. They are stacked on top of each other (and there is a gap because of wires). They are also on my lower level of a split level, so it does stay relatively cooler in that part of the house year round. I have no issues with heating. I do struggle with humidity though. I tried the heat tape, did not do anything for me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SiXandSeven8ths For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: Winter Enclosure Heating

Thank you for the tips. With a divider, I'll have to run two RHPs, ouch!
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

The issue with heat tape, Flexwatt, UTH is that all of these don't do much, if anything, for your ambient temperature. How warm do you keep the room? I'm in northwest Indiana (actually grew up in MN) so it's also pretty chilly here. I use RHP's as the sole source of heat in my PVC cages with no issues. My glass tanks have UTH's, but I also need heat lamps to increase the ambient temperature. I can see how you'd want to try to avoid running 2 RHP's in a divided tank, though. I'd be worried that would be too small of a space to get an adequate gradient, unless you really small heat panels.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’ve got a divided T8 right now with two RHP and heat tape. RHP are both set to maintain ambient temps ~78-80* and heat tape keeping a 90* hot spot. The panels run very low power and do a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks

jmcrook, what size RHPs are you using and what or how many thermostats are you using? How do you have them positioned inside the enclosure? I was told to place them both next to the divider in the rear of the enclosure.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

Thanks

Winter Enclosure Heating

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith73 View Post
    jmcrook, what size RHPs are you using and what or how many thermostats are you using? How do you have them positioned inside the enclosure? I was told to place them both next to the divider in the rear of the enclosure.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!
    I should clarify. I’ve got one half set up and setting the other half up now. Was originally outfitted to be run as a full cage with 65watt pro heat panel as the only heat source.
    I’ve got that panel with the probe (herpstat) hanging right under it maybe 4” down set at 82* giving me consistent 80 ambient temps with no true hot spot. THG heat tape for belly heat set for a 90* hot spot. Will be setting up the other half of the divided T8 with an RBI 40watt RHP in the same fashion: centered in the cage, probe directly underneath set to maintain ambient temp with heat tape as the hot spot.
    The 2 panels and 1 heat tape are on two herpstat 2s. I’ve got a 12”x24” heat tape along the cage division acting as hot spot for both sides. About 25% of the floor space for either side, 5.5”x24”, if you subtract the 1/2” that the divider removes from useable floor space of the enclosure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 11-29-2018 at 10:53 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks

I ran out to my local reptile shop and picked up two 40W RBI RHPs. In talking to the guy there, I think I'm going to try placing both panels right next to the divider in the rear of the cage. I will also be running the 6" THG heat tape across the entire back of the enclosure. Oh yeah, also picked up a VE-300 X2 to run the RHPs. Nothing like almost spend double that I spent on the enclosure. lol

Thank you to all that added to my post!
    ssmith73

1.0 Albino Enchi
    1.0 Butter/Mojave BEL

0.1 Pied
    0.1 Butter/Ghost
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Pastel

1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Merauke BTS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ssmith73 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Thanks

Winter Enclosure Heating

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith73 View Post
    I ran out to my local reptile shop and picked up two 40W RBI RHPs. In talking to the guy there, I think I'm going to try placing both panels right next to the divider in the rear of the cage. I will also be running the 6" THG heat tape across the entire back of the enclosure. Oh yeah, also picked up a VE-300 X2 to run the RHPs. Nothing like almost spend double that I spent on the enclosure. lol

Thank you to all that added to my post!
    Yep, getting everything set up isn’t cheap. But... when you do it right the first time then you’re good to go for a good long while. You won’t regret your purchases in the slightest.

Side note, jealous of you having a local reptile store, and one that keeps RHP on hand AND quality thermostats at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
    Last edited by jmcrook; 11-30-2018 at 01:11 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-01-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast