Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

0 members and 2,972 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Exclamation Help USARK and Herpers w/ Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission survey

got this email this morning from our leading herpers advocacy group - USARK (United States Association of Reptile Keepers) - about a really important survey from FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission). it's basically to give the agency feedback on legal definitions of stuff and what animals to add to the prohibited species list, etc. etc. really important stuff for Florida, herpers and could set precedence and policy elsewhere!

if you just wanna help out quickly and do the minimal, give answers to the survey based on USARK's recommendations. i was just gonna do that, but the survey is quite interesting and i wanna go through it more in depth when i have time. i'm not sure when it's due or the deadline, but start thinking about it today!: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVNM78R

Email from USARK:
    USARK has posted a new item, 'FWC Public Survey on Nonnative Species'

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has posted an online survey (if you missed it previously on our website). It can be completed in less than 10 minutes. Non-Florida residents can complete the survey, too (the survey will ask if you reside in Florida). Please take the time to provide your input. We have a few [...]

You may view the latest post at
    http://usark.org/2018-blog/fwc-public-survey-2018/

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
    posted.

Best regards,

USARK
    info@usark.org

The USARK blog post in full: http://usark.org/2018-blog/fwc-public-survey-2018/

FWC Public Survey on Nonnative Species

By USARK on November 28, 2018

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has posted an online survey (if you missed it previously on our website). It can be completed in less than 10 minutes. Non-Florida residents can complete the survey, too (the survey will ask if you reside in Florida). Please take the time to provide your input. We have a few notes below to assist.

LINK: www.surveymonkey.com/r/JVNM78R

Below are some key points

The survey has three short sections.

Section A: Proposed additions to the Prohibited Species list

12. Yellow anaconda (Eunectes notaeus)
    Choose: Do Not Support

If FWC is going to regulate yellow anacondas, they should be placed upon the conditional species list with other nonnative constrictor snakes, not prohibited. This is an extensive regulation and private keepers must abide by the same rules as zoos. Listing this species as prohibited is overreaching.

10, 11, and 13: Beni anaconda, DeSchauensee’s anaconda, and brown tree snakes are not found in trade so their listing will not impact herpetoculturists.

Final comments for this section:

The yellow anaconda should, at most, be listed as a conditional species. Jumping to prohibited will yield unintended consequences and is nonsensical when they could be grouped with similar species as conditional.

Section B: Addition of Definitions to Rules Pertaining to Nonnative Species

Notes: While the definitions may be fine, it is the applications of the terms and definitions which can cause issues. For example, if keepers of conditional species must also be "commercial import or export businesses" there are several issues. For example, someone just beginning to breed green anacondas would need to buy and then raise the animals to maturity/breeding age. No import/export could occur for several years.

Section C: Criteria for Nonnative Species Importation Permits

This section proposes much greater regulation on the importation of nonnative species into Florida. The proposal would create a draconian and overbearing import permit process.
    thanks all!

RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-28-2018),Bogertophis (11-28-2018),zina10 (12-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: Help USARK and Herpers w/ Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission surve

I went ahead and put my two cents in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),zina10 (12-02-2018)