Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,120

1 members and 3,119 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I can appreciate your concern there is no need for multiple threads therefore both have been merged.
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),donutsdad (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Oh my goodness...

Quite a few critical mistakes were made. Our great forum members (you rock!!) have given you invaluable advice and were very thorough in pointing out exactly what to do. With a hatchling so small, and the problem quite concerning, please follow that advice to the letter and time is of the essence.

It truly is crucial that everything is done right. Even though the hatchling is small and does need nutrition, rushing this now, can quickly end up in a cycle of regurgitation and death. Regurge is extremely hard on their system and causes damage internally. Let it heal. This is far more important right at this moment, then feeding again quickly.

Just as important is getting your temps spot on, that goes for warm as well as cool end. Regulated by a thermostat. Set up just right. And tons of privacy and low stress, meaning no handling other then maintenance (cleaning and a quick peek to check snake without handling)

You can still turn this around, but at this point, you have to do this just right. With one that small there just isn't any wiggle room or time to waste.

Good Luck !!!

btw. Kudos to seeking out the help and answers you need. That is a vital first step and more then many other beginners will do..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-28-2018),donutsdad (11-28-2018),MissterDog (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Re: Please help! Baby snake regurgitated!

I have ordered a thermostat and it's on the way. I didn't realize that my temps were so extreme.
    I have also ordered nutribac so that when I feed Donut 2 weeks from now, she can have some probiotics to refill her gut.

I have reduced the amount of aspen I had piled on before. Now it's about just over an inch from the bottom of the container.
    My plan is to keep Donut in this smaller enclosure for the next few months until she gets bigger/healthier enough for the 20-gal terrarium I have.

The current ambient temperature is 77.9F and the humidity level is 81%.
    I have a UTH that is attached to one side of the container, covering about 50% of the bottom.
    I also have a small water bowl inside.

I'm not sure what to do about the high humidity level.

When I open the container, the humidity level drops to 55% and the ambient temperature drops to about 76.1F, but I can't leave Donut unattended for long periods of time with the lid off.
    What are some strategies I can use both short-term and long-term to keep a perfect humidity level?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to donutsdad For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-28-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donutsdad View Post
    ...I'm not sure what to do about the high humidity level.

When I open the container, the humidity level drops to 55% and the ambient temperature drops to about 76.1F, but I can't leave Donut unattended for long periods of time with the lid off.
    What are some strategies I can use both short-term and long-term to keep a perfect humidity level?
    More ventilation. If this is a "tub" (plastic box type enclosure) just drill or melt a couple small holes for air circulation. You're aiming for 60% humidity, & a little
    higher (about 70%) only when shedding. You could try adding one hole at a time, or, if you do a couple at once, you can always cover with tape (on the outside).

Be sure you are measuring temps. accurately & on the surface that the snake can & will touch (ie. under substrate) for temps. -most here use a digital temp. 'gun'.

You are quick to adapt to the changes needed...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

donutsdad (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. You're all so kind and so so so amazing. It's been super helpful.

I have buried the thermometer into the substrate and drilled a bunch of holes to the top of the plastic container.
    While I don't have a thermostat, I have the UTH hooked up to a timer that turns the UTH on/off for 30 minutes at the time.
    The temperature within the container is fluctuating between 76F–80F.
    I have buried the thermometer in the center of the container a little bit under the surface of the substrate.
    I have drilled just about as many holes as I can at the top of the container, but humidity won't go below 64%.

Is this okay? Is there more I should be doing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12